A Momentous Occasion...

jagscast

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad took me along to Firhill since I was a babe in arms 66/67 season mainly because if he didn't then he wasn't allowed to go.

I grew up on a diet of spearmint chewing gum and macaroon bars before my first taste of a pie.

Was at Hampden for the League Cup final against the tims - still have a scar on the back of my napper from falling off my uncle's shoulders at the 3rd goal (ach you'll be fine, here have some sweeties). I remember THAT party, it went on for days and I don't think I've ever had such a tiredness headache ever since.

My dad was a friend of Brian (moustache) Whittaker and we got a tour round the stadium (and I gave Bertie Auld a big cigar) before the game v Morton when we got horsed 4-0 with the fattie Andy Ritchie scoring at least 2 sometime in the late 70's/early 80's. Still remember Brian's face when we took the Hearts 1-0 at Tynecastle in the Cup the year he moved there - a picture indeeed!

One of my enduring memories is the marathon Cup games against Clyde at Shawfield (replay I think) when the match was abandonded because the gypos couldnae keep the lights on, a riot on the terraces and then when it was eventually played we battered them 7-1?(0) with Super Mo scoring like he used to do up the dancin' - plenty of 'em and all pretty cheap!

Happy days.

6-0 v Gypos . Wee Parkie ripped them apart that night and laid them on a plate for Mo.

I've got maybees one year on your faither, Vinny. Sounds so much better if I say my first game was v Dundee early '62. That was the year Dundee won the league and evidently without cheating. In true Jags style we beat them 3-0 (Neilly Duffy getting a couple) and I believe it was George Niven's first game.

In fact I'd been to Firhill for a few matches during the season and well before that game but can't mind who we played. It was just all the talk was about Dundee that season and there was quite a build up to that game.

My Dad took me to the games back then. He wasn't a Jags fan but hated the ugly sisters big time and tho' he never said was clearly trying to push me away from that evil.

Incidentally my first ever international was also 61/62 when I had the pleasure of watching Scotland easily beat England 2-0 at Hampden. Heady days, indeed.

The Scotland selectors (who picked the National team in those days) were at Firhill watching Ian Ure (Dundee centre-half) and the great Billy Hainey ran him ragged, Hainey also scored that day. As you say, George Niven's debut for the Jags, God! I loved George Niven. Happy Days!

January 76, Scottish Cup 3rd Round at Cliftonhill. Albion Rovers 1 Thistle 2. Pestered my rubgy supporting father to take me to a football game and as I was only 9 he decided that was too young to be subjected to either side of the Old Firm. Wasn't too happy at the time, but 36 years later I'm really grateful for his choice.

Can't remember my actual first game, I would have even really young, a baby prob, mr father is no longer with us to ask, so after a spell as a sheep shagger( glory hunter) from about 1980 until 86, stiil went to Jags games tho, but when I saw the light as a 15 year old, I went on the Cumbernauld bus to Bog head to watch us beat the Sons. It was brilliant and following that went on a run of not missing a game for many years think we won 5 1 or maybe nil. Gallagher, Watson, Law, Herd, and One other were the scorers, Might have been joe Carson. I'm sure itwas around September, Went to Preston in the December that year and met a good few folk for the first time on that trip,that still friendly with now. Cheers Rodge. Some times i could murder you for it, But it did make my Dad happy.

Edited by Gordie

The Scotland selectors (who picked the National team in those days) were at Firhill watching Ian Ure (Dundee centre-half) and the great Billy Hainey ran him ragged, Hainey also scored that day. As you say, George Niven's debut for the Jags, God! I loved George Niven. Happy Days!

One of the most memorable games in my time. This thread is making me feel like a real dinosaur, for the first game I clearly remember was Chritmas Day 1948 (Jags 1 Morton 0) - although I was reliably informed that my dad had me there in August 1939, aged 5 ( Jags 2 Hearts 2 according to the official history). Reckon I've earned my " Thistle cap and Thistle tie" !

2-2 at home to the Tims in (midweek) January 1966. Bertie Auld grabbed a late, late equaliser for the rascals. Crowd, apparently, 36,000!

How we'd kill for a tenth of that on a Saturday these days.

Edited to add: Full respect to Briogadh - our most senior active fan?

Edited by Blackpool Jags

Strangely the first game I can actually remember going to was against the now defunct Airdrieonians at their, now a supermarket, Broomfield - December 1966 - lost 3-1 (George Niven carried off with a facial injury), freezing cold - snow around the pitch.

Having said that it wasn't my first Thistle game by any means but I cannot exactly remember what one was (my first game was at Firhill obviously).

I vividly remember games around that time including a 3-0 home win in the cup against Dumbarton in January 1967.

I'll have to keep checking the Official History.

Anyone know a site where I can check historical results? Sure I'd seen one before but google not being any help.

I think my first game was between 89-91 and was a real end to end affair that either ended 3-2 Thistle or 3-3. Sure it was against Dundee but might have been another team in dark blue. Sure I checked before and couldn't see anything that tallied with my memory, but cant find the site now. I would have been 10-12 hence my vagueness.

Anyone know a site where I can check historical results? Sure I'd seen one before but google not being any help.

I think my first game was between 89-91 and was a real end to end affair that either ended 3-2 Thistle or 3-3. Sure it was against Dundee but might have been another team in dark blue. Sure I checked before and couldn't see anything that tallied with my memory, but cant find the site now. I would have been 10-12 hence my vagueness.

http://www.statto.com/

Can't remember my actual first game, I would have even really young, a baby prob, mr father is no longer with us to ask, so after a spell as a sheep shagger( glory hunter) from about 1980 until 86, stiil went to Jags games tho, but when I saw the light as a 15 year old, I went on the Cumbernauld bus to Bog head to watch us beat the Sons. It was brilliant and following that went on a run of not missing a game for many years think we won 5 1 or maybe nil. Gallagher, Watson, Law, Herd, and One other were the scorers, Might have been joe Carson. I'm sure itwas around September, Went to Preston in the December that year and met a good few folk for the first time on that trip,that still friendly with now. Cheers Rodge. Some times i could murder you for it, But it did make my Dad happy.

Just checked that stato site, states the Dumbarton game that was my first game back was a 2-2 draw. the 5-0 one was a few weeks later at Montrose.

First game was against Forfar Athletic at home in 1989 and I remember it like it was yesterday, glorious sunshine standing on the terracing, we won 4-1 that day....

By the end I thought Thistle were the best team in the world.....I blame my dad and uncle for fuelling my belief that this was how we played every week. It wasn't until I was a bit older I realised this wasn't a regular occurence and by that time it was too late, I couldn't support anyone else..... :thumbsup2:

Right I'm going for 26th August 1992 and the 6-3 game at home to Dundee. Funny the things you remember/forget - I was a bit out with the score, but we did trade goals until the 4th, and I still remember the shocker of a tackle in the 'build up' to their second.

Right I'm going for 26th August 1992 and the 6-3 game at home to Dundee. Funny the things you remember/forget - I was a bit out with the score, but we did trade goals until the 4th, and I still remember the shocker of a tackle in the 'build up' to their second.

Geordie got four and the first 10/10 in the Sunday Snail. Lambini was then quoted as saying he was valued at £2,000,000.

Our back-to-back promotions got me hooked while still in Denmark and I was a regular in the F5 brigade on the old ptfc.net (What ever happened to Lianne, who ran that? :thinking: ).

I remember arriving in Glasgow late august 2006 and one of the first things I did was to visit Firhill and my first impression was of how run down it looked and the big amount of litter in the streets. I also remember going to some Jags Trust event that produced some dodgy karaoke, but I remember it being a good night nonetheless. My first game at Firhill was a less than memorable 5-1 defeat to St. Johnstone and I really questioned what I had let myself in for and the following big defeat to Gretna didn't help either! But fortunes turned and the abomination that was Dick Campbell got sacked and here we are top of the league six years later with me still in Glasgow. Proud to be a jags fan!