Memory Frustration

Exiled AusJag

This morning Melbourne time while we were sitting out in the garden enjoying the sunshine B) , my wife's nephew put a question on facebook that had us all racking our brains. He had friends round for dinner and during after dinner drinks, Glasgow time, their conversation came round to asking what the shops were on the four corners of Renfield and Argyle sts in the early 70s. Due to a combination of memory, and my wife digging out her engagement and our wedding ring receipts, we managed to identify and confirm the shops on all except the south west corner.

Can anyone remember the last shop, and to get you all thinking, I won't mention the names of the other three to add to the fun :D

(I was amazed when I saw how much the rings cost!!!!!!!!!)

This morning Melbourne time while we were sitting out in the garden enjoying the sunshine B) , my wife's nephew put a question on facebook that had us all racking our brains. He had friends round for dinner and during after dinner drinks, Glasgow time, their conversation came round to asking what the shops were on the four corners of Renfield and Argyle sts in the early 70s. Due to a combination of memory, and my wife digging out her engagement and our wedding ring receipts, we managed to identify and confirm the shops on all except the south west corner.

Can anyone remember the last shop, and to get you all thinking, I won't mention the names of the other three to add to the fun :D

(I was amazed when I saw how much the rings cost!!!!!!!!!)

Can't help with your question, a year or two before my time.

By the time you get down as far as Argyle Street, Renfield Street has become Union Street though!

Boots, Arnott Simpson, Freeman Hardy Willis?, Burton.

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/lofiversion/index.php/t7943-3500.html scroll 2/3rds down for Freeman......

Arnotts did orginally sit at the corner of Argyle St and Jamaica St as Arrnot Simpson but was destroyed by a fire. The whole block was re-built in the 60's as Arnotts but with Beaverbrooks at some point taking over the bottom corner.

Edited by i@n

in the mid 70's Boots, was on north east corner, Burtons on north west, Beaverbrooks was south east. some people have said Arnotts but thats incorrect, Arnotts was the next corner heading east on Argle st. at st Enoch underground. cant get the one south west sorry, i should know it, i spent many a time at dizzy corner on a fri/sat waiting for my (lumber 4 the night) to turn up, they always did.lol

Boots, Arnott Simpson, Freeman Hardy Willis?, Burton.

http://discuss.glasg...t7943-3500.html scroll 2/3rds down for Freeman......

Arnotts did orginally sit at the corner of Argyle St and Jamaica St as Arrnot Simpson but was destroyed by a fire. The whole block was re-built in the 60's as Arnotts but with Beaverbrooks at some point taking over the bottom corner.

Photo attached shows that Arnott Simpsons wisnae on the corner !!

That's the old St Enoch Hotel behind it I think.

Controversial !!

2ey96ht.jpg

Edited by gianlucatoni

Off topic I know...but remember Tower Records that was down there as well...brilliant music shop back in the day...is it still lying empty?

I think its reopened as another music shop, i passed it back end of last year on a taxi on the way to pick up the sleeper

I stand corrected m'lud ! :thumbsup2:

To be fair, in response to Exiled AusJag originally question I think maybe Beaverbrooks is the answer as to what was there in the early 70's, there's perhaps a clue in the part "my wife digging out her engagement and our wedding ring receipts, we managed to identify and confirm the shops on all except the south west corner."

To be fair, in response to Exiled AusJag originally question I think maybe Beaverbrooks is the answer as to what was there in the early 70's, there's perhaps a clue in the part "my wife digging out her engagement and our wedding ring receipts, we managed to identify and confirm the shops on all except the south west corner."

As you can see looking north, http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/, boots corner is on the north east corner, Burtons the tailor is north west (you can just see the BUR), I thought samuels the jeweler was south east (I'll need to double check the address on the receipts), but it may be another jeweler, and I can't find anyone who can remember what was on the south west corner.

As you can see looking north, http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/, boots corner is on the north east corner, Burtons the tailor is north west (you can just see the BUR), I thought samuels the jeweler was south east (I'll need to double check the address on the receipts), but it may be another jeweler, and I can't find anyone who can remember what was on the south west corner.

In the Hidden Glasgow link it mentions Freeman Hardy Willis the shoe shop as being on the SW corner.

Flares - nothing better for walking on....

(I'll get my matching parka and leave)

Puts me in mind of an advert, also from the 70s -

"Bellaire (hair spray) has a flair for hair".

If rumour at the time is to be believed, the Glasgow Jaikies were using it, mixed with milk, as a wee pick-me-up. :-)

http://discuss.glasg...t7943-3500.html

Posted earlier in the thread, Freeman Hardy Willis. Looks like the early 70's

Apologies. Currently in China so quite often photos (depending on where they're hosted) as well as a good few other sites get "blocked". Now accessing from a different hotel and so can now see the photo in question.!

Apologies. Currently in China so quite often photos (depending on where they're hosted) as well as a good few other sites get "blocked". Now accessing from a different hotel and so can now see the photo in question.!

That understandable, you have to beware of the subversive activities of Freeman Hardy Willis

• 2 weeks later...

Photo attached shows that Arnott Simpsons wisnae on the corner !!

That's the old St Enoch Hotel behind it I think.

Controversial !!

2ey96ht.jpg

this photo was way.way before the early 70,s as the original (question) asked. so sorry but not proof as u said.arnott's in 70's took up whole block except on the corner plot , that was beeverbrooks. Edited by jagielka