Thistle - Dumbarton

The Cup

• Members

Fulltime footballers are not allowed to have second jobs, unless they have dispensation from the club.

In other words, they are allowed to have second jobs. In recent years, Partick Thistle have had 'fulltime' players working in gyms and I know of one that delivered carry out meals for a local restaurant. Forbes in particular played for the Club for expenses up until Jackie secured a contract for him. He may not have been getting full time wages, but he was for all intent and purposes, a full time Professional Footballer. If you think he spent all the time he was unsigned doing nothing but waiting for his next contract, you're wrong.

Everyone has a right to earn what they consider to be a reasonable living wage. If that means taking a second or third job, as long as it doesn't interfere with any other job they do, no one can stop them. The Club may decide they don't want them to do this and therefore wont allow them to sign a new contract or perhaps they stipulate that they are not allowed to take up any other profession whist employed by the Club. Unless you're privy to every contract signed by Jags players, you don't know that. The only thing they are definitely not allowed to do is to play Football outside their Club at a different grade (Amateur, Junior) as far as I'm aware.

Does he not have a job outside football as well in order to make a living? Sure to have an impact if true.

If he does then fair enough and obviously that would have an impact. I'm not really wanting to go off on a tangent here and make a big issue about Ross Forbes's spare time during the week. What I'm confident on, is that the player himself could play two full games in the same week.

I honestly don't think Forbes would have had such a great impact on our season thus far if he didn't he wasn't fully focussed and determined to make the most of the chance McNamara gave him. Fitness would have been crucial in that because when he was a trialist for Dumbarton back in August he was so far off the pace, which was to be expected.

Anyway, back to the game tomorrow. If Paton is fit, I'd have him in for Welsh. I wasn't there last week but there's no way I'd have Paton on the bench, if fit considering the season he has had so far. The other ten players from last Saturday pick themselves. Although I wouldn't put it past Archie to spring a surprise with the starting line up, considering Raith on Tuesday. Craigen maybe given a shot? I thought he done well against Cowdenbeath at home in January when he started.

Edited by northernsoul

I know guys he works with and he tweets about working the night shift.

Ah, right. That old chestnut.

In other words, they are allowed to have second jobs.

Yes, if they get permission from the club. Which is what I said. :shok:

They decide on what work the player can undertake, for example they wouldn't be allowed to work on a construction site because obviously the risk of injury is higher than sitting on a chair watching CCTV.

looks like he does work nightshift (admittedly based on one tweet that would be flimsy evidence but there seems to be further evidence above). Can't be easy to do that and train so fair play to him.

Fair enough. At least you presented evidence so I doff my hat to you, unlike Mr. "I know his pals" above.

What I'm confident on, is that the player himself could play two full games in the same week.

Then why has he not, given the fact he has been on good form and his set pieces are a crucial element to our attacking play?

Then why has he not, given the fact he has been on good form and his set pieces are a crucial element to our attacking play?

I don't know, how am I meant to answer that? I'm not the manager. Your opinion is just as much as an assumption as mine is. We'd never find out until we asked the player himself or Archie if it's down to tactical changes or his own fitness.

For clarification, what nonsense did I come up with?

You claimed that Ross Forbes has a job outside football, yet failed to back up your claim with any evidence. Utter nonsense.

I don't know, how am I meant to answer that? I'm not the manager. Your opinion is just as much as an assumption as mine is. We'd never find out until we asked the player himself or Archie if it's down to tactical changes or his own fitness.

I think it's clear to assume it's a fitness issue, given the fact he's still available on the bench(not unavailable by work commitments). Fitness isn't his strong point. His left foot is and I hope we're celebrating another goal either assisted by it, or scored by it.

• Members

Yes, if they get permission from the club. Which is what I said. :shok:?

I'm saying they don't need permission from the Club though. Use the whole post I made in response to your claim and not just one line.

You really are something else when it comes to making claim that everything you post is fact. I cant make up my mind if you mean it to wind folk up or (highly likely given the amount of time you spend on here doing it) or if you genuinely believe what you are claiming, or it's just your unfortunate style of posting. You are capable of making a lot of sensible posts, you just chuck in some amount of garbage with it though unfortunately. :(

I'm saying they don't need permission from the Club though. Use the whole post I made in response to your claim and not just one line.

They do though. The club need to give them permission to make sure the work they are doing isn't of a "risky" nature, in the sense that they won't sustain an injury that will stop them playing football.

You really are something else when it comes to making claim that everything you post is fact. I cant make up my mind if you mean it to wind folk up or (highly likely given the amount of time you spend on here doing it) or if you genuinely believe what you are claiming, or it's just your unfortunate style of posting. You are capable of making a lot of sensible posts, you just chuck in some amount of garbage with it though unfortunately. :(

What do you think? :hypocrite:

To shut up all the fans who think ross forbes who is unfit. He should score one today, pull his shirt over his head and run the full lengh of the jhs.

He is fit, i think it is more about his style of play than fitness.

Agreed he gives the appearance of being lazy but doubt a rocket up his arse would change that much. Think Craig whilst not as bad also falls into that catagory at times.

Agreed he gives the appearance of being lazy but doubt a rocket up his arse would change that much. Think Craig whilst not as bad also falls into that catagory at times.

I'd disagree. Craig isn't lazy, nor would he appear lazy. he just plays on the shoulder of the defender, forcing them deeper allowing Lawless and Erskine to have more space to roam and be the "entertainers" of the team.