Serious Vowel Play

partickthedog

Was watching my favourite non-Thistle player Andres Iniesta running the game for Barcelona as usual on Tuesday. Felt a bit sorry for him having to try to work with such an unimaginative and substandard player as Lionel Messi, and thought how much more effective he would be if played in combination with our own maestro Chris Erskine. Noted then that both Iniesta and Erskine begin with a vowel and soon had put together a team of half Thistle half others with vowel initiated surnames.

Kenny Arthur

Jean Yves Anis

Andy Anderson

Alan Archibald

Stephen O'Donnell

Mikkel Arteta

Leon Osman

Chris Erskine

Sergio Aguerro

Andres Iniesta

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

I would envisage this team playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Arteta and Osman in holding roles (with licence to one or other to break forward). Erskine, Aguerro and Iniesta would switch and combine like crazy behind Zlatan and no doubt tie any defence in knots. Love the thought of an Anderson/Archibald centre defence and my only small problem is having to play O'Donnell on the wrong side to accommodate the mercurial talents of Jean Yves Anis (playing as he did against Livingston and Falkirk, please). Would have liked to include a U surname but could only think of David Unsworth and John Utaka who do not quite make the grade.

Any improvements on that team (while keeping a reasonable Thistle/others balance, but if you can do all-Thistle, then so much the better)?

Was watching my favourite non-Thistle player Andres Iniesta running the game for Barcelona as usual on Tuesday. Felt a bit sorry for him having to try to work with such an unimaginative and substandard player as Lionel Messi, and thought how much more effective he would be if played in combination with our own maestro Chris Erskine. Noted then that both Iniesta and Erskine begin with a vowel and soon had put together a team of half Thistle half others with vowel initiated surnames.

Kenny Arthur

Jean Yves Anis

Andy Anderson

Alan Archibald

Stephen O'Donnell

Mikkel Arteta

Leon Osman

Chris Erskine

Sergio Aguerro

Andres Iniesta

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

I would envisage this team playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Arteta and Osman in holding roles (with licence to one or other to break forward). Erskine, Aguerro and Iniesta would switch and combine like crazy behind Zlatan and no doubt tie any defence in knots. Love the thought of an Anderson/Archibald centre defence and my only small problem is having to play O'Donnell on the wrong side to accommodate the mercurial talents of Jean Yves Anis (playing as he did against Livingston and Falkirk, please). Would have liked to include a U surname but could only think of David Unsworth and John Utaka who do not quite make the grade.

Any improvements on that team (while keeping a reasonable Thistle/others balance, but if you can do all-Thistle, then so much the better)?

Armand One up front? Sub keeper - John Arrol. We've had more than one O'Neil over the years.

I'm sure the Aitken Suite is named after a Thistle legend of yesteryear.

Davie Irons

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am delighted to say that I no longer need to bulk out the squad with expensive foreign imports and we can have a full team of Jags

Kenny Arthur

Jean Yves Anis

Andy Anderson

Davie Irons

Alan Archibald

Stephen O'Donnell

Alex O'Hara

Davie Elliott

Isaac English

Kemajl Avdiu

Chris Erskine

Supersubs

John Arrol

Moses Apiliga

Pedram Ardalany

Graeme Eaglesham

Christie Elliott

I envisage a flexible 4-3-3 formation with plenty of movement among the front 3 in particular. By moving the younger Alan Archibald out to left back I have incorporated the older Davie Irons in central defence and got StephenO'Donnell back over to the correct right side.

My Thistle supporting career has come in two phases, an initial burst in the mid to late 1970s and total obsession from 1996 to now. There is a gap in the 1980s to mid 1990s and therefore while I know most of the names and approximately where and how they played, I am not sure who is left, right or middle. Accordingly if there is an expert from that period, perhaps you would be kind enough to re-arrange the team formation for me.

Anybody else for the bench or to challenge for the first team?

Edited by partickthedog