Zatafact? 141 Seasons Of The Indomitable P T F C

Quinton Jacobs might still be in action. Apparently he was playing in India last season. Which is as good a reason as any to dig out this wee bit o' trivia, good value this one...

Jaggy trivia # 1211

2dl56w.jpg

Though he managed to settle well in Glasgow, the subtleties of dressing-room banter were sometimes lost on the young Namibian, Quinton Jacobs, who signed for Jags in 1999. After training one day, Gerry Collins, Lambie's assistant, began to shadow-box with Jacobs. Thinking he was actually being attacked, Jacobs planted a left hook on Collins' chin.

Wee Jacobs just didn't know Gerry was mucking about and decided to get his retaliation in first” recalled Lambie. “I was laughing so much it was untrue, but Gerry didn't really see the funny side. I eventually had to tell him that if he laid a hand on Jacobs I'd sack him on the spot.”

~ Herald Scotland, Monday 6th February 2006

Jaggy factoid # 4168

Thistle’s record defeat against non-Scottish opposition stands at 0-10. This horrific experience was endured twice in England – away to Accrington (Tue-01-Jan-1889) and to Aston Villa (Sat-28-Mar-1891). Such a loss had previously been experienced away to Queen’s Park (Scottish Cup 5th Round, Sat-03-Dec-1881), and the three games stand equally as the all-time, all-game record defeats for the club.

Jaggy factoid # 4441

24xn9zq.jpg

Outside of Scottish (and Scottish League) clubs, Glentoran are Partick Thistle’s “most played” opposition, the two clubs having met on nine occasions between 1904 and 2001.

Mon-04-Apr-1904 Glentoran [a] D0-0 (Friendly)

Mon-24-Apr-1933 Glentoran [a] D1-1 (Friendly)

Mon-16-Sep-1963 Glentoran [a] W4-1 (Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1st Round, 1st leg)

Mon-30-Sep-1963 Glentoran [h] W3-0 (Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1st Round, 2nd leg)

Mon-18-May-1964 Glentoran [a] D1-1 (Trevor Thompson Benefit)

Wed-30-Jul-1969 Glentoran [a] L2-3 (Friendly)

Tue-02-Aug-1994 Glentoran [a] W2-0 (Friendly)

Tue-30-Jul-1996 Glentoran [a] W3-0 (Friendly)

Sat-21-Jul-2001 Glentoran [a] D1-1 (Friendly)

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

Jaggy factoid # 4441

24xn9zq.jpg

Outside of Scottish (and Scottish League) clubs, Glentoran are Partick Thistle’s “most played” opposition, the two clubs having met on nine occasions between 1904 and 2001.

Mon-04-Apr-1904 Glentoran [a] D0-0 (Friendly)

Mon-24-Apr-1933 Glentoran [a] D1-1 (Friendly)

Mon-16-Sep-1963 Glentoran [a] W4-1 (Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1st Round, 1st leg)

Mon-30-Sep-1963 Glentoran [h] W3-0 (Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1st Round, 2nd leg)

Mon-18-May-1964 Glentoran [a] D1-1 (Trevor Thompson Benefit)

Wed-30-Jul-1969 Glentoran [a] L2-3 (Friendly)

Tue-02-Aug-1994 Glentoran [a] W2-0 (Friendly)

Tue-30-Jul-1996 Glentoran [a] W3-0 (Friendly)

Sat-21-Jul-2001 Glentoran [a] D1-1 (Friendly)

Interesting. Could you tell us which team would be next in a list of most frequent foreign opponents. Maybe Tottenham Hotspur?

Here you go Jaggernaut...

13 - Berwick Rangers

9 - Glentoran

7 - Newcastle United

6 - Portadown

5 - Cliftonville

5 - Preston North End

5 - Tottenham Hotspur

4 - Blackburn Olympic

4 - Bristol City

4 - Derry City

4 - Everton

4 - Sheffield Wednesday

3 - Blackpool

3 - Bolton Wanderers

3 - Leicester City

3 - Liverpool

3 - Manchester City

3 - Plymouth Argyle

3 - Tranmere Rovers

Rightly or wrongly, I gave a notch to Liverpool XI and Everton XI teams.

Jaggy factoid # 5

29l029e.jpg

Who put the ball in the Rangers net? Sandy, Sandy...

Stanley Matthews, Ferenc Puskás, Kenny Dalglish, Ronaldinho, Lionel Messi, Wayne Rooney - they've all had a go. In fact, well over 5,000 sets of strikers have had a go since the 1870s. In all that time only one man ever managed to put the ball in the Rangers net FIVE times in a single competitive match - Sandy Hair of Partick Thistle. This would stand as an amazing feat in its own right - that he would do it for Thistle at Hampden in a Cup Final really takes the biscuit! 2 headers and 3 shots from the prolific striker helped Thistle to their first ever Glasgow Charity Cup success, a 6-3 victory over our old rivals on Saturday 14th May 1927. Remarkably, 3 of Sandy’s goals came in the extra time period, another wholly unique occurrence in senior Scottish football. At the end of the game, it’s reported that the referee approached our hero and handed him the match ball. :football: It’s further reported that the crowd cheered vociferously and the Rangers players in true sportsmanlike fashion warmly congratulated the Thistle centre forward on his unique achievement. Altogether now... "Sandy, Sandy Hair, Sandy, Sandy Hair"...

Only twice have Rangers lost more than 6 goals in a competitive match anywhere in the world - Hibs beat them 8-1 in the Southern League in 1941 and Celtic won 7-1 in the League Cup Final of 1957.

Closest to Sandy’s “competitive five” are Andy Donaldson of Airdrieonians who scored four times against Rangers at Ibrox in a Division 1 match on 4th January 1915, as the Lanarkshire men ran up an impressive 5-0 away League victory and Alan Gilzean, who also scored four against them at Ibrox as Dundee romped home 5-1 on 11th November 1961. The Dens Park men were underlining their title credentials and duly obliged come the seasons end.

Annoyingly, I have to report that there was one other who scored five against them, although some comfort can be obtained from the fact that it was achieved in a mere “friendly” game and can therefore be easily dismissed by those of a Jaggy persuasion.

It occurred on the 20th August 1887. Rangers had moved out of Kinning Park and had a “Grand Opening” of the new Ibrox Park. It’s reported that some 30,000 were in attendance in the new 15,000 capacity arena. As well as being cramped and crabbit, they were none too pleased at the party being gate-crashed by Preston North End, who hammered the Govanites by 8 goals to 1! John Goodall got 5 and Jimmy Ross got a hat-trick. It was also reported that there was a pitch invasion when the eighth goal went in...

It is a lasting shame and disgrace to the Glasgow public that an attempt should have been made to assault Goodall on Saturday. None of the North Enders did anything shady that I could see, and the only interpretation we can put on the attempt is that some of the Kinning Parkites were mad with jealousy and rage.”

Some things just never change. :no:

My claim to fame is that I actually met Sandy although he was an old man then was very proud of his Jags history,it was in Bishopbriggs so maybe he stayed there and if memory serves me rightly was a real gentleman-Theres's only one Sandy Hair!!

• Like 1

Here you go Jaggernaut...

13 - Berwick Rangers

9 - Glentoran

7 - Newcastle United

6 - Portadown

5 - Cliftonville

5 - Preston North End

5 - Tottenham Hotspur

4 - Blackburn Olympic

4 - Bristol City

4 - Derry City

4 - Everton

4 - Sheffield Wednesday

3 - Blackpool

3 - Bolton Wanderers

3 - Leicester City

3 - Liverpool

3 - Manchester City

3 - Plymouth Argyle

3 - Tranmere Rovers

Rightly or wrongly, I gave a notch to Liverpool XI and Everton XI teams.

Excellent.

Arigato gozaimasu. :thumbsup2:

Jaggy trivia # 5050

2je4dc7.jpg

On the 10th July 2010 Thistle kicked off the pre-season in an unusual fashion – with a Glasgow derby against Queen’s Park in playing fields at St Andrews. Approximately 50 spectators braved the rain as Jags won by three goals to one. If you include this as a “pucker” Thistle game, then it’s notable for being the first Thistle game to be played during a World Cup. In fact, it was played on the same day that an actual World Cup game took place as, later that evening, Germany beat Uruguay 3-2 in the third place play-off.

Jaggy trivia # 7189

6s6l92.jpg

On the 9th July 2014 Thistle kicked off their 140th season in San Pedro del Pinatar with a 3-1 friendly victory over the local side, F.C. Pinatar. It was the first ever game between Partick Thistle and a Spanish football club, and the second time that Thistle have played on the same day as a World Cup match. Indeed, it was only the second time that Thistle have played a match during a World Cup tournament. Appointing clubs within their national borders of the day, and including Scotland, Spain became the 23rd country to have provided opposition to Partick Thistle.

Excellent.

Arigato gozaimasu. :thumbsup2:

Dou itashi mashite. ^_^

Those, like Jaggernaut, who appreciate the simple joy of knowledge may find the following table of some interest.

It’s a complete summary record of all known Partick Thistle first team games vs. non-Scottish opposition, sorted by "imaginary" League table criteria.

30t6yra.jpg

n.b. Updated to include all fixtures up to 12th August 2014.

• Table includes first team games only.
  • Closed door games excluded.
  • Club’s countries defined by their present day borders.
  • One game, circa January 4th 1886, remains unknown to me and is not included in the “played” total. In his text for season 1885-86, Niall Kennedy talks about the planned New Year tour stopping in at Everton, Stoke and Barrow (presumably Barrow-in-Furness). Information on the Barrow game, and whether it was actually played at all, has proved to be elusive thus far although I continue to keep the game on my investigative radar. Would possibly need to get to the most local press to find an answer.
  • I dismissed a game played on Monday 2nd January 1888 – Newcastle East End 1 Partick Thistle 3, played at Stanley Street. The Sunderland Daily Echo reported that this was the Thistle second eleven, and that the first team were in action vs. Darlington on the same day. Although I haven’t seen a team line for the East End game, the line up for the Darlington game is definitely the first eleven.
  • My games list is exhaustive and accurate but, as always with historical research, is subject to new discoveries. Old press pages continue to be digitized in their millions. Who knows what secrets may yet lie untold?

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel

Jaggy factoid # 1

15zfw55.jpg

A newly signed teenage 'keeper from Kirkintilloch Rob Roy made his competitive debut for Thistle against Rangers at Ibrox on the 28th August 1926. Johnny Jackson wasn't phased. In fact, he done so well that he became an immovable oject. Literally, no one else took his competitive place from there until his last game for the club. In all, from the 28th August 1926 until the 6th May 1933 he set a stunning club record by playing in 320 consecutive competitive matches for Partick Thistle. His record was only broken at the behest of the Chelsea cheque book, and Johnny departed for Stamford Bridge in June 1933. Johnny's awesome 6 ¾ year run incorporated six tournaments as follows:

264 - SFL First Division

30 - Scottish Cup

13 - Glasgow Cup

9 - Glasgow Charity Cup

3 - Glasgow Dental Cup

1 - Stirling Charity Cup

I was in the Panopticon Charity shop in High Street yesterday and coming I noticed in the window there was a wee what looked like an autograph book and open of the ones you could see was of the above photo and John's signature next to it. Never had the time to go back in and ask the price but it's well worth checking out for all you Jags memorabiliasts (if such a word exists).

Interesting weekend! Thistle’s pre-season of firsts continues...

Jaggy factoid # 8279

2rp9rae.jpg

On Saturday the 19th July 2014, Thistle started with five Englishman, a Ghanain and a Frenchman in a friendly at Dumbarton – the highest number of non-Scots ever to have been on the pitch at the same time for Partick Thistle. Over the course of the whole ninety minutes, a total of nine Thistle appearances were registered by non-Scots – another club record in itself. Mind you, it took a good old fashioned Scotsman – Ryan Stevenson - to get the ball in the net and secure the 1-1 draw!

The history-making team was as follows:

Starting eleven: Scott Fox (Scottish), Stephen O'Donnell (Scottish), Matthew Parsons (English), Conrad Balatoni (English), Darren Barr (Scottish), Hamza Bencherif (French), Abdul Osman (Ghanaian), James Craigen (English), Kris Doolan (Scottish), Christie Elliott (English), Kallum Higginbotham (English)

Substitute appearances: Gary Fraser (Scottish), Jordan McMillan (Scottish), Jordan Mustoe (English), Ryan Stevenson (Scottish), Kalen Damessi (French), David Wilson (Scottish), Aaron Muirhead (Scottish), Chris Duggan (Scottish)

Hi TJR. Sorry to make you work, but have you any topical Jaggy Commonwealth information? All I can think of at short notice were our Australian players Adrian Madaschi and Simon Storey (and Jags fan Colin Fleming winning gold in the mixed doubles in Delhi), but no doubt there is much more gold (not to mention silver and bronze) in your historical treasure chest.

• 3 weeks later...

ptd – you surely overestimate me!

I’ve got nothing decent linking Jags and the Commonwealth. I had a quick decko but to my complete astonishment, Jackie Husband was never a discus champion nor was Gordon Rae ever a gold medallist in the shot-put :o

Never mind, but hey listen - I don’t come back empty handed. You made me think of THAT Commonwealth Stadium which in turn put me in mind of a wee anecdote which has always tickled me, possibly because I was there and feel the story (I never threw the pie though, honest!) The following excerpt comes from that much loved romantic thriller, Red and Yellow Forever

… The Scene: Meadowbank Stadium, 30th January 1985…

There were many ‘lows’ and a few ‘highs’ during this depressing period, but arguably we fell till we could fall no further when we played Meadowbank Thistle in a Scottish Cup tie through in Edinburgh. Thistle led 2-1 at half-time, but would this be enough with a gale-force wind to face after the interval? We were soon to discover the answer to that. They ripped us apart and we lost – 4-2 eventually. It had been a shocking performance from Thistle, all in white for the night [note this fantastic attention to detail. Robert’s game notes could most likely tell you what colour of socks the Meadowbank goalie was wearing]. Our faces were of a matching hue. The Thistle fans were understandably incensed. Those of you who are familiar with the lay-out of Meadowbank Stadium (what a place to play a football match – still, at least our days of playing there are at end!) will realise that the Director’s Box is no more than a sectioned area of the stand – very vulnerable! Our officials received the full brunt of the fans’ wrath, and President Jimmy Aitken received the full brunt of a couple of mutton pies he hadn’t even ordered! He talks to this day about this unsavoury incident. It was certainly a night to forget – one of the most shameful in my Thistle experience.” ~ Robert W. Reid, 1996

I refer stats freaks to my International Jags table (post #489) which I’ve now updated to reflect the 5 pre-season games against non Scottish teams. I’ve taken the opportunity to put it in the League Table order as I had originally intended but had clean forgot to do (surprised nobody pulled me up for that :P ). It wasn’t a bad pre-season results wise. Thistle’s phenomenal record against the Northern Irish continues and it was good to see Doolan get his goals campaign off the mark in Belfast. By my current reckoning that’s 71 (all games) putting him level with Willie O’Donnell in joint 24th. Two or three good seasons could yet see the No.9 land in the Top 10 all-time scorers. Also, I reckon Stevie Lawless is only a handful of goals away from joining the Top 100. Go on Dools. Go on Stevie boy. :thumbsup2:

Tomorrow night sees Thistle kick off the competitive season 2014-15. It will be the first time since 1965 that we have kicked off the League campaign on a Wednesday - nearly half a century ago!

In a strange experimental period which stretched from 1958 to 1965, the SFL scheduled all First and Second Division League campaigns to commence on a Wednesday and Thistle’s 8th and final game in this period kicked off at 7.30pm on Wednesday 25th August 1965, with Andy Roxburgh netting for Jags in a 2-1 defeat at Rugby Park. Hopefully that’s not an omen.

Thistle’s “first season / first season back in the Top Flight” record is excellent – survival has been achieved 7 times out of 8 and we currently sit on a six-times-in-a-row record which has been unblemished for over 110 years.

The “second season back in the Top Flight” record is not so good – survival has only been achieved 3 times out of 5 and we failed in this quest (with extreme help from the suits at Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts - where are they now :thinking::lol: ) at our last attempt in season 2003-04.

Kinda strange that we're kicking off where we left off from last season, namely with a match against Ross County.

Or maybe not. It wasn't all that long ago when such a thing happened - back in 2000 we finished the old League season in May at Gayfield Park and started the new League season in August at Gayfield Park.

And the score in May 2000?

As per 2014, a 3-2 defeat.

Weird eh?

It was 1-1 in August by the way...

ptd – you surely overestimate me!

I’ve got nothing decent linking Jags and the Commonwealth. I had a quick decko but to my complete astonishment, Jackie Husband was never a discus champion nor was Gordon Rae ever a gold medallist in the shot-put :o

Never mind, but hey listen - I don’t come back empty handed. You made me think of THAT Commonwealth Stadium which in turn put me in mind of a wee anecdote which has always tickled me, possibly because I was there and feel the story (I never threw the pie though, honest!) The following excerpt comes from that much loved romantic thriller, Red and Yellow Forever

… The Scene: Meadowbank Stadium, 30th January 1985…

There were many ‘lows’ and a few ‘highs’ during this depressing period, but arguably we fell till we could fall no further when we played Meadowbank Thistle in a Scottish Cup tie through in Edinburgh. Thistle led 2-1 at half-time, but would this be enough with a gale-force wind to face after the interval? We were soon to discover the answer to that. They ripped us apart and we lost – 4-2 eventually. It had been a shocking performance from Thistle, all in white for the night [note this fantastic attention to detail. Robert’s game notes could most likely tell you what colour of socks the Meadowbank goalie was wearing]. Our faces were of a matching hue. The Thistle fans were understandably incensed. Those of you who are familiar with the lay-out of Meadowbank Stadium (what a place to play a football match – still, at least our days of playing there are at end!) will realise that the Director’s Box is no more than a sectioned area of the stand – very vulnerable! Our officials received the full brunt of the fans’ wrath, and President Jimmy Aitken received the full brunt of a couple of mutton pies he hadn’t even ordered! He talks to this day about this unsavoury incident. It was certainly a night to forget – one of the most shameful in my Thistle experience.” ~ Robert W. Reid, 1996

Many thanks TJR. Were the pies thrown in javelin, discus or hammer style? The precision hits on the President maybe indicate the delicate targetfinding of a javelin, though a pie hurled at head height with the whirling motion of a discus could do a fair amount of damage. I suspect that a hammer thrown pie would probably disintegrate prior to impact unless made of concrete.

PS Apologies for quote confusion above. I meant to reply only to the one post, but not sure how to fully remove the rest!

Edited by partickthedog