Worse Own Goal Ever?

This one is the one that sprang to mind- not only did he OG, he broke his own nose doing so.

Obvious Thistle ones were the passbacks (Maxi / Tuffey vs Clyde and Oponga / Hogarth for Falkirk).

Best I ever saw in any game was in a game between York and Cheltenham in 2004 (we were in York for my mate's 21st and Thistle were getting gubbed somewhere away from home in our SPL relegation season), sadly no clip exists on Youtube. Essentially a striker, whilst defending his own goal from a corner, chested the ball down, hit it on the turn and absolutely thrashed it into the top corner on the half volley from about 10 yards. We're talking goal of the season stuff if he'd done it at the right end.

Tommy Gemmell's stunning "back pass" to his own club keeper Ronnie Simpson. Scotland v USSR 1967 was probably the worst own goal I've seen in the flesh.

I had left Hampden early when Willie Donnachie tricked Blyth with that brilliant chip in the dying seconds against Wales (?). Otherwise I may have seen an og to rival to Gemmell's..

Tere was a peach a few years back at pitoddrie, not sure who it was, but the keeper punted the ball off his own player, n it looped back over the keeper into the net. Tried googling it, cant find it anywhere.

Identical to this one, only ina professional game!

Edited by chunky jag

The one I remember is Ian Maxwell's backpass to Jonny Tuffey which Tuffey completely missed with the ball trickling into the net. It was the only goal in a 1-0 defeat to Clyde, and remains one of the worst games/Thistle performances I have seen.

Couldn't remember who it was that passed to Tuffey. I had visions of it coming from the right back position or certainly the right hand side of the park so I'd discounted the back passer being Maxie.

Noticed two or three times against Livi and again at least once against Arbroath back passes going directly towards goals. Much prefer when there's any real pace on the ball they're angled away slightly. Even the most surefooted keeper (and Tuffey had good feet) can have the odd fresh air effort.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

the one that got passed back to tuffey , he tried to stop it with his foot and it rolled under it.

:ptfc:

My recollection is that Tuffey did get his foot to Maxi's hardhit angled pass back but bizarrely his faint touch imparted some vicious back spin so that, once the ball was past him, there was no way he could catch it.

To be fair, he followed it up that midweek with an excellent performance in our Doolan double 2-0 win at Ross County