Piped Crowd Noise - Enough Is Enough

Dark Passenger

It could just be that the speakers in the North Stand are different. I know that up in the gantry there is a switch to turn the speakers in the North Stand on and off, there isnt a switch for the Main or Jackie Husband Stand, so they are on a different circuit.

There should be quite a delay on it. If youre suggesting that its actual chants pre recorded then why did it sound so horrible? It shouldnt sound so tinny if thistle are doing it on purpose. It makes it completely pointless and make no sense to play poor quality recordings. And then why bother if they play it so sporadic throughout the match and only in random parts of the Stadium.

I am positive that it is down to the poor PA System and not on purpose...its either that or ghosts of Thistle fans who lost their way during the Dick Campbell era :)

I should clarify. By pre-recorded chants I mean those recorded at a previous match, not in a studio with David Beattie on the mixing desk. Could it be tinny because most things are tinny on that PA system? Also, there was no delay last season. Of course, I may be wrong, but this makes little difference, as it's rotten either way.

I am positive that it is down to the poor PA System and not on purpose...its either that or ghosts of Thistle fans who lost their way during the Dick Campbell era :)

Did you hear it on Friday? It was definitely a deliberate, pre-recorded burst of crowd chanting, which at one point was switched on suddenly when the Hearts fans were particularly loud and the North Stand were building up a chant too (but not the same one which was broadcast, and not one which had been sung directly beforehand). Your theory about a wonky PA system passing noise on is, I'm afraid, definitely 100% wrong.

• Like 1

I should clarify. By pre-recorded chants I mean those recorded at a previous match, not in a studio with David Beattie on the mixing desk. Could it be tinny because most things are tinny on that PA system? Also, there was no delay last season. Of course, I may be wrong, but this makes little difference, as it's rotten either way.

I have in the past made recordings of match atmosphere and I can do alot better with my wee recorder than this noise. Also I think there is a big difference in quality of this noise and say music played pre/post match or announcements. Some people on here have even said they havent heard anything.

Did you hear it on Friday? It was definitely a deliberate, pre-recorded burst of crowd chanting, which at one point was switched on suddenly when the Hearts fans were particularly loud and the North Stand were building up a chant too (but not the same one which was broadcast, and not one which had been sung directly beforehand). Your theory about a wonky PA system passing noise on is, I'm afraid, definitely 100% wrong.

I didnt hear it on Friday, though I did hear it last season, while I was working as a volunteer in the Gantry, next to the DJ and Announcer. This was just a theory based on what I know on the workings of microphones and speakers. But I cannot believe it is deliberate for several reasons, the poor quality of the noise, the sporadic nature in which it appears, the randomness of where in the stadium you hear it, I am very sure thistle dont have the audio recording equipment needed and the fact that it is a mental idea to play recorded match atmosphere at a game. Also would it possibly be a hazard for when safety and other information announcements are made by the police?

Failing this explanation of a 'wonky' PA System I dont know what it could be. Though Ive seen Lance floating about on this forum...I would imagine he is the best person to answer this mystery.

What a stooshie ! Ok, let me clear up any confusion.

Last season we experimented with relaying the songs from the North Stand into the JHS. Arguably, it worked as the JHS started joining in the singing. However, after listening to feedback from fans who didn't like it, it was stopped.

Friday night the new DJ (I stopped this over a year ago) experimented with playing a recording of chants - at a point in the game when the visiting fans were at heir noisiest. Feedback would indicate this is not popular either, and so we probably won't use it during a game again - may use it as the team comes out for he second half for example, but probably not during a game.

Summary is, we try stuff, some works, some doesn't. But we ALWAYS listen to the fans.

Hope his helps, as ever, any suggestions, on the back of a postcard to the usual address.

Cheers, Lance

• Like 6

Last season we experimented with relaying the songs from the North Stand into the JHS. Arguably, it worked as the JHS started joining in the singing. However, after listening to feedback from fans who didn't like it, it was stopped.

Friday night the new DJ (I stopped this over a year ago) experimented with playing a recording of chants - at a point in the game when the visiting fans were at heir noisiest. Feedback would indicate this is not popular either, and so we probably won't use it during a game again - may use it as the team comes out for he second half for example, but probably not during a game.

Summary is, we try stuff, some works, some doesn't. But we ALWAYS listen to the fans.

Hope his helps, as ever, any suggestions, on the back of a postcard to the usual address.

Cheers, Lance

thank you Lance :thumbsup2:

Cheers, Lance

Thanks for clearing this up, Lance. It's always worth trying new things to improve the atmosphere, but I think the majority opinion is that this innovation should be canned, if you excuse the pun. I don't think it's required at half time either and can even envisage us getting ridiculed in the press for it. I appreciate the hard work being put in by Onethistle though.

Friday night the new DJ (I stopped this over a year ago) experimented with playing a recording of chants - at a point in the game when the visiting fans were at heir noisiest. Feedback would indicate this is not popular either, and so we probably won't use it during a game again.

I hope "probably" actually means never. Cheers.

Appreciate the explanation but the use of the word "probably" twice isn't reassuring.

Agree.

The whole notion of playing recorded crowd noise to attempt to generate atmosphere is toe curlingly embarrassing.

Never again.

Absolutely agree.

Have never heard it myself thankfully.

But if I did, it certainly wouldn't encourage me to sing more, probably less.

It's having the opposite of its desired effect.

We don't need it and the fans don't want it.

Genuine question - what is the thinking behind doing this?

And after everyone complaining last season why was it done again?

And why is it only 'probably' not going to happen again after all these complaints?

3 excellent questions.

And here's another one - w t f is happening with the Firhill Cup DVDs...???!!!!!???!!!!

I was sitting about 6 rows back close to speakers and it was pathetic.

On another note, cut out the loud music in the minutes before the teams come out. We want to hear the fans, not have them drowned out

I agree with this. I haven't heard the piped chanting as all but one match I went to last season I watched from the North Stand where there doesn't seem to be much of a PA system. On the one occasion I watched from the JHS (the day we lifted the trophy as my mate prefers the JH for it's view) the North Stand looked great but pre-match you couldn't hear a word because of the insanely loud pop music coming through the speakers.

• Like 1

As far as I am aware Partick Thistle do not play match atmosphere over the PA system on purpose.

I am certain what is being played out through the PA system is feed back from the fans in the North stand. Microphones and Speakers act very much the same, if you shout into a speaker and have it hooked up to a microphone you will be able to hear it through the mic. The reason why it sounds so horrible is because its going through the PA system backwards and you get that tinny sound.

The only way to deal with the problem is to turn off the speakers in the North Stand, which I know they sometimes do, which is why sometimes you dont hear it. However I know they also sometimes forget to switch it back off/on, which is why they sometimes miss announcements in the North Stand.

The only other way to deal with the problem is to get a better PA system.

You are correct that speakers can act as microphones if plugged in to the wrong jack, however they cannot act as both simultaneously.

Genuine question - what is the thinking behind doing this?

And after everyone complaining last season why was it done again?

And why is it only 'probably' not going to happen again after all these complaints?

The thinking behind it - as I mentioned - is to experiment with ideas around Matchday experience.

I say 'probably' because, thus far we have only gained feedback from Forum users and we like to include feedback from as many sources as possible. Similarly, not everyone has complained.

Like I say, we take feedback and respond - generally pretty quickly.

Hope his helps

Lance

The thinking behind it - as I mentioned - is to experiment with ideas around Matchday experience.

I say 'probably' because, thus far we have only gained feedback from Forum users and we like to include feedback from as many sources as possible. Similarly, not everyone has complained.

Like I say, we take feedback and respond - generally pretty quickly.

Hope his helps

Lance

How much positive feedback have we had, Lance?

The atmosphere at Firhill is really good, so no need for any fake addition to it. As stated above, would also like the music turned OFF when players come out of tunnel. I think you should ask the players what they would prefer, hearing the fans cheering and singing them onto the park or adi adi adi adi adi oh here we go here we gooooo, blaring out the PA system.

• Like 2

The atmosphere at Firhill is really good, so no need for any fake addition to it. As stated above, would also like the music turned OFF when players come out of tunnel. I think you should ask the players what they would prefer, hearing the fans cheering and singing them onto the park or adi adi adi adi adi oh here we go here we gooooo, blaring out the PA system.

^this

I quite like the music when the players come out and when we score but am less keen on the crowd noise. Maybe we could just blast the crowd noise into the away end to wind them up?

Yes let's make it known to all other 11 teams that we are a hopeless diddy club incapable of creating an atomosphere.