What Box Set Do You Recommend?

Rid Skwerr

I read your post, Harry, with trepidation in case you gave away the ending of Breaking bad - but you didn't! :dancing:

We've got episodes 10-16 to finish so maybe a marathon session might be on the cards for us, too.

From your list, we've seen the Danish Killing and the Wire (came as a real shock to find out Idris Elba is English).....

The others I'll add to our list for future viewing.

Much appreciated, Rid

Idris elba is in luther on netflix u shd check that out, quite good

Breaking Bad is in my opinion, the greatest tv show of all time, by quite some distance.

And i have to take issue with the "its a slow burner" argument that seems to constantly creep up against it, i blame 24 for this, if an episode doesnt finish with a nuke on countdown then its deemed boring and too slow. Bb is the most addictive and compelling tv I've ever seen.

Breaking Bad was a slow burner for most of the first season, especially compared to later seasons. It's not that compelling for the first few episodes and only became addictive about 5 episodes in. I also thought some scenes were overdone in many episodes (the fly) and the scene after the bombing with Gus really annoyed me; it was daft. But overall it was very good.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned The Shield. Loved the way what happened on the first episode resonated right through 7 seasons, and you were rooting for the 'bad' guys....

Ok going to go out on a limb here. I have been thinking of buying a couple of 80's boxed sets but don't want to find the programmes were actually duff. So has anybody seen Bulman on dvd or its predecessor Strangers, which had a pre-Taggart Mark McManus in it? More obscure than that, what about the American series 'Tales of the Golden Monkey? Anybody, anybody?

Breaking Bad was a slow burner for most of the first season, especially compared to later seasons. It's not that compelling for the first few episodes and only became addictive about 5 episodes in. I also thought some scenes were overdone in many episodes (the fly) and the scene after the bombing with Gus really annoyed me; it was daft. But overall it was very good.

How can anybody say that first season of BB was slow burning lets go over the evidence of first few episodes.

SPOILERS ALERT

First episode - surburbian teacher discovers he has cancer and decides to go against surburbain middle aged life and cook crystal meth. ends with methlab up and running and 2 people seemingly dead

episode 2-3 - the episode where walt has to confront whether he can be a killer or not with crazy 8 - does it . skylar confronts jesse in this, nearly discovering whats going down and dont forget the decomposition of the bodies stuff they had to do with the bathroom collapsiing.

By episode 6-7 we have the whole tuco stuff going down and that was season 1. if anybody thinks thats slow burning id hate to see what its compared against. I mean compared against the other 2 holy trinity of tv shows (sopranos and the wire) its far more pacy... think its the most pacy parts of breaking bad in comparison to the other seasons....

methinks theres an element of hipsterish hating on BB just for the sake of it happening here IMO ;)

Edited by mrD
  • Like 1

Ok going to go out on a limb here. I have been thinking of buying a couple of 80's boxed sets but don't want to find the programmes were actually duff. So has anybody seen Bulman on dvd or its predecessor Strangers, which had a pre-Taggart Mark McManus in it? More obscure than that, what about the American series 'Tales of the Golden Monkey? Anybody, anybody?

miami vice is very entertaining but probably a bit too cheesy.

cracker and prime suspect or are they 90s serieses?

@ Mr D.

I see what you're saying about series one, and agree that there was more going on than I remembered (was it also the first series where he created the explosive stuff?)

However we watched all the episodes, then just didn't bother with the next series.

It was only when the word got out that it continued well that we went back to series one and followed it right to the end.

Really glad that we did go back to it. :thumbsup2:

How can anybody say that first season of BB was slow burning lets go over the evidence of first few episodes.

methinks theres an element of hipsterish hating on BB just for the sake of it happening here IMO ;)

Because it's a matter of opinion. And how can you be a hipsterish hater when it's stated how much it was enjoyed in the end!!!!!

To be honest I wasn't really into the premise of the show and only watched it based on recommendation. It took me around 6 weeks to watch the first season on DVD and only because I was determined to give it a chance, hence I felt it was a slow burner. I'm glad I did because I really enjoyed it.

However I don't think it's the best thing I ever watched. The Sopranos, The Shield, the Wire and Sons of Anarchy I felt more compulsion to watch more than one episode at a time. I only really felt that way about BB from about season 3. Really good, satisfying and disturbing last season though, maybe one of the best at wrapping things up.

Edited by 1876Jag

I've never really heard anyone say breaking bad is a slow burner but I have heard folk say they think the first season can be quite depressing viewing with the emphasis on the cancer struggle. Personally I think it's like the opening scene of saving private Ryan in that it's actually such powerful viewing that you can start to empathise with a harsh subject even if you've never been, and may never be, exposed to it directly. As the seasons go on and characters develop it just gets better and better. One of those that you're gutted it's finished but glad it's gone out without dropping the standard.

I have actually just finished watching a couple of documentary series which I would recommend. Both have been shown on PBS recently and are by documentary maker Ken Burns. Dustbowl which is about the ecological disaster in the Southern Plains of America in the 1930's and Prohibition which is about the events that led to the passing of the Prohibition Act in America and how it was enforced and circumvented. Both well worth watching.

Just finished watching the finale of Breaking Bad last night. Wow!!

We watched the final four episodes in a row as it was thoroughly compelling, gripping and

and at times harrowing viewing.

Afterwards, we got chatting about a top 10 which we found just about impossible to agree on

once we had placed Breaking Bad at No 1.

However, for what it's worth here's some of the contenders...

The Killing (Danish)

Game of Thrones

Borgen (Danish)

Braquo (French) (You may not know this one. If not, sign up to Love Film for a free trial if only to just watch this!)

The Wire

Boardwalk Empire

The Sopranos

Walking Dead

Mad Men

The Tudors

The Bridge (Swedish)

Pacific... and of course Band of Brothers

Deadwood was up there, but was disqualified for not having an ending at all.

It's been bugging cos' I knew I had left something off my list and that was 'Homeland'.

This week's episode was outstanding!.

Homeland - First season was absolute dynamite, thiught season 2 was average by comparison, and i think season 3 has been a trainwreck. How many times do we see the carrie mathieson in hospital against her will storyline!? And that bottom lip of hers trembles every 2-3 scenes, i know she's playing a bipolar person but **** me they dont half overdo it! But first season is in my all time top 5 seasons of any show

I've loads of box sets of mainly british telly from 60s through to 80s, including Strangers. I thought Strangers pretty good, particulalry series 3 to 5 (the first two were lower budget and more pedestrian). Mark McManus's chraracter was a kind of proto-Taggart, sharing a lot of similarities with Taggart. Of particular interest, there is one episode based around an asian footballer playing for none other than our very own Partick Thistle. This episode includes a couple of (albeit quite short) scenes of both inside and outside Firhill.

Apart from the more obvious box sets from the era (Sweeney, Professionals, Minder) I would also recommend The Sandbaggers, Out, Fox, Callan, Big Breadwinner Hog and Special Branch series 3 and 4, amongst many others.

That reminds me......

I used to absolutely love the early 80s series "Gangsters" which was set in the Asian/afro-Caribbean underworld in Birmingham. The stars were Maurice Colbourne and Said Jaffrey. They always had a great cliff-hanging ending to each episode and I just couldn't wait for next week's exiting episode.

Anyway, I spotted the boxed set on sale recently and bought it in keen anticipation of reliving this wonderful series.

What a disappointment!

The acting was wooden (although I knew that at the time), the scripts were feeble, and the action was as convincing as Thunderbirds!

What a load of old tripe. Either my memory is playing tricks or we were much easier pleased back then.

The Breiderbecke trilogy, on the other hand, is still whimsical and quietly brilliant.....

I've loads of box sets of mainly british telly from 60s through to 80s, including Strangers. I thought Strangers pretty good, particulalry series 3 to 5 (the first two were lower budget and more pedestrian). Mark McManus's chraracter was a kind of proto-Taggart, sharing a lot of similarities with Taggart. Of particular interest, there is one episode based around an asian footballer playing for none other than our very own Partick Thistle. This episode includes a couple of (albeit quite short) scenes of both inside and outside Firhill.

Apart from the more obvious box sets from the era (Sweeney, Professionals, Minder) I would also recommend The Sandbaggers, Out, Fox, Callan, Big Breadwinner Hog and Special Branch series 3 and 4, amongst many others.

Thanks for that, I had mentioned the Thistle episode in a thread a few months back but thought it had been Bulman it appeared. However, nobody seemed to know anything about it so I was beginning to think I had imagined it.

I can't believe Mad Men gets only one fleeting mention- the only thing I've seen that can live with the Wire.

I've watched 4.5 seasons of Breaking Bad. Very watchable but not in the same league as the above 2. Sort of a thrill ride.

I've got Series 1 of Flight of the Conchords on box set and that is pure class

Treme was deeply disappointing- I could only take 2 episodes (a lot of trombone playing and not much else)

I also own the worst Box set ever- TJ Hooker season 1+2 = utter gash but definitely in the so bad it's good category.

I purchased a mate of mine the Dustbinmen complete series on DVD a few years back. It was a late ITV 60's sitcom and I had a quick look at it before I gave it to him. Unsurprisingly for something called the Dustbinmen it was garbage. Not even so bad it's good, just crap. Anyway T J Hooker had Heather Locklear going for it, so not too bad.

watched the first season and a half of the wire, never really hooked me - very good dialogue and all that but the characters and the story line didnt really grab me. At the moment, my latest obsession is battlestar gallactica reimagined. very intellegent sci-fi that....

I purchased a mate of mine the Dustbinmen complete series on DVD a few years back. It was a late ITV 60's sitcom and I had a quick look at it before I gave it to him. Unsurprisingly for something called the Dustbinmen it was garbage. Not even so bad it's good, just crap. Anyway T J Hooker had Heather Locklear going for it, so not too bad.

Yeah Heather Locklear but in the first 2 series she didn't feature much- a desk bound stiff. Later she got onto patrol duties which mainly consisted of her going undercover as a stripper/ prostitute/ lingerie model. Her partner was James Darren, Corrigan in the show- a charisma free zone- she deserved better,

Just watched the pilot episode of Sons of Anarchy, as recommended by Mr D and Mr Scruff.

Looks like it will be interesting, although Lady Skwerr may take some persuading that she can get intrigued by the

doings of a renegade motorcycle gang. Time will tell.

However, how come nobody mentioned that Peggy Bundy is in it ? :angry:

...and looking younger than she did in Married with Children! :worship:

Hope you all get the boxed sets that you want tomorrow - because the weather looks like it's going to keep us indoors for the next few weeks.

(Apart from Jags game days, of course)

Merry Xmas, and thanks, to all you square-eyes. :cheers: