What Box Set Do You Recommend?

Rid Skwerr

Lady Skwerr and I have enjoyed following entire TV series in the box set format, and are currently heading towards the last 6 or so episodes of Breaking Bad (no spoilers, please!),

so we're now looking for suggestions as to what we should get next.

The sets we've already seen are -

The West Wing (superb - can't recommend that one highly enough )

The Wire (as above - a great watch)

Dexter (loved that one, too)

24 ( OK at first, but got very "samey" - just series 1 repeated in slightly different scenarios for another 8 seasons)

So any ideas chaps and chapesses?

Thanks in advance,

Rid

the sopranos is up there with the wire and breaking bad.

boardwalk empire might be worth a go as well although thats still on going might be better to wait till that ones ended.

same goes with the walking dead.

if you have netflix or lovefilm should watch hatfields and the mccoys which is only 3 feature length episodes though...

Edited by mrD

Along with some of the other suggestions for ongoing series (Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead), I can highly recommend:

- Tremé (the last five episodes will start airing from this Sunday)

- Sons of Anarchy (ongoing, but I've only just started watching from the start)

- Battlestar Galatica (Our whole family loved this, very well made/ produced/ written and acted - somehow we missed it when it was on)

- Game of Thrones (just about lives up to the hype)

If boxed sets are your thing, you really should consider Netflix as suggested above if you don't already have it. Some hidden gems in there for a low monthly cost. Archer, Arrested Development worthy of a mention, depending on your taste...

Mrs MJ is a huge fan of Dexter and I've been forced to watch it all in boxed-set format; some of it was actually quite good, some not so good. Johnny Lee Miller was great (Trainspotting and Elementary guy) as a motivational speaker bad guy as was the 'Trinity Killer' played by john Lithgow. In fact, just paid £25.00 for the final season on Amazon (and the spoiler alert is that it's sh***! But I can stick it on and go to Firhill in peace in Sunday having dipped Mrs MJ's purse big time).

Others we've enjoyed include first season of Breaking Bad (I've still to get hooked but will persevere!) and Luther (one of the better Brit shows?). Whitechapel was also quite good although some plot lines were bizarre and it definitely turned quite Gothic in the last season.

Like others, I always looked upon boxed sets as dodgy Christmas presents i.e. "it's on offer and we know he sometimes laughs at the Simpsons; so it will match the mug and socks!" But not so, a great way to get into a show and watch characters and plots develop. i'm now a convert...

Talking of which, is it worth sticking with Breaking Bad - is it seriously THAT good? What about 24? (Have to confess that I've never watched an episode.)

Talking of which, is it worth sticking with Breaking Bad - is it seriously THAT good? What about 24? (Have to confess that I've never watched an episode.)

Definitely worth sticking with. Some really beautiful episodes (in the context of something called 'Breaking Bad') and great writing, direction and performances. I would say it's the best I've seen in this format. AND they managed to wrap it up in a poignant and satisfying manner - a rare achievement.

BUT it has now been so hyped that I wonder if all of us who loved this haven't built up an unrealistic expectation amongst those now watching it (I know in one case where I gave a friend the whole set she made this comment - ie good but not 'life-changing'...)

• Like 1

Definitely worth sticking with. Some really beautiful episodes (in the context of something called 'Breaking Bad') and great writing, direction and performances. I would say it's the best I've seen in this format. AND they managed to wrap it up in a poignant and satisfying manner - a rare achievement.

BUT it has now been so hyped that I wonder if all of us who loved this haven't built up an unrealistic expectation amongst those now watching it (I know in one case where I gave a friend the whole set she made this comment - ie good but not 'life-changing'...)

For that reason, i'm really glad that i watched breaking bad from about 2 years ago before it got hyped up in the last few months. Also, so i can boast about discovering it first :D I personally think it stands heads and shoulders above the rest, even the wire. The wire's final season i think really let it down. The sopranos, i think was a bit repetitive, ie every season seemed to have the form that someone would come into the mix, cause a bit of hassle, and then would have to be offed. The ending was really ******* shit with the sopranos too IMO.. But to be fair to the sopranos, i think it was written before this format of tv shows taking over film and novels having long drawn out stories: ie it was pretty episodic at times.

Going back to the original question - the danish killing was ******* rad. Some old school tv shows are worth watching as well such as Cracker and Prime Suspect.

Luthers about the only decent contemporary british tv show. british telly is shit these days..

Edited to add: Sons of Anarchy. Love this, its probably second division in comparison to the holy trinity of sopranos, breaking bad, and the wire. But it is pretty entertaining - a wee bit like a white trash version of the sopranos :)

Edited by mrD

A few people ive seen say this that its a bit slow to get into breaking bad. I dunno how to answer that, i was hooked after the first episode. How far into it are you??

If boxed sets are your thing, you really should consider Netflix as suggested above if you don't already have it. Some hidden gems in there for a low monthly cost. Archer, Arrested Development worthy of a mention, depending on your taste...

never watched treme. will have to check it out as ive got nothing to watch at the moment...

Orange is the New Black is a great show on netflix.

Something a wee bit different; the very subversive Weeds, in which wonderful Mary Louise Parker decides to sell Weed to help with the family bills. It is the cast of neurotic characters and laugh out loud moments that makes this a great comedy drama. Each episode is only just over 20 minutes but they pack a lot into it. Other than that there is also the little known Huff, in which Hank Azaria plays a psychiatrist in meltdown following a client shooting himself in the middle of a session. Oliver Platt is wonderful a his alcoholic, sex depraved best friend as is Blythe Danner as his mother. Season 1 is only £7.40 on Amazon.

Finally Timothy Olyphant gems i.e. Deadwood and Justified, which are both well worth watching.

A few people ive seen say this that its a bit slow to get into breaking bad. I dunno how to answer that, i was hooked after the first episode. How far into it are you??

Episode 3, 1st series and I've found it slow; but maybe building characters etc. Everyone I know says to stick with it so i'll give it a go. My guilty sin remains BBC foreign stuff on a Saturday night - Spiral, Wallander, Borgen etc. maybe not Montalbano but ok if in the right mood i.e. we've won or picked up a point.

Wow - thanks a lot gentlemen/ladies.

What a great bunch of suggestions and what variety!

Everything from Sword & Scorcery and the Wild West through to Scifi, passing 1920s gansters, zombies, WW11 and and hurricane Katrina survivors on the way.

Most of these shows we've never heard of, so really glad you've brought them to our attention.

To Noel Edmonds - I've seen most or all of The Thick of it and thought it was superb - can't wait to see Dr. Who played by Malcolm Tucker!

For those asking about Breaking Bad, yes it is a right slow-burner at first (and we packed it in for a while after series one) but we're glad we went back to it because it just gets better and better.

Only the last 8 episodes to go so we'll move onto your many suggestions after that.

Going with Weeds and Sons of Anarchy at first then we'll chase down all the rest.

Muchas Gracias, amigos

(as big Gabriel would say)

ETA - the Bridge sounds good to me (enjoyed The Killing in Danish), but Lady Skwerr is not that keen on all the reading required of subtitles.

(Means she can't watch and play Candy Crush at the same time!)

Edited by Rid Skwerr

ETA - the Bridge sounds good to me (enjoyed The Killing in Danish), but Lady Skwerr is not that keen on all the reading required of subtitles.

(Means she can't watch and play Candy Crush at the same time!)

Pretty sure we watched this before the candy Crush habit had formed. WTF is all that about? But the Danish language version is good telly.

To keep this going a wee bit and as I need convincing: Is the American version of House of cards any good? A mate tells me Kevin Spacey is back to his best in this one. Anyone?

Pretty sure we watched this before the candy Crush habit had formed. WTF is all that about? But the Danish language version is good telly.

To keep this going a wee bit and as I need convincing: Is the American version of House of cards any good? A mate tells me Kevin Spacey is back to his best in this one. Anyone?

Watched this on Netflix a while ago. Did enjoy it at the time, and KS was excellent.

Decent enough but I was a wee bit disappointed it wasn't better - probably from remembering the original through rose-tinted specs...

Just finished watching the finale of Breaking Bad last night. Wow!!

We watched the final four episodes in a row as it was thoroughly compelling, gripping and

and at times harrowing viewing.

Afterwards, we got chatting about a top 10 which we found just about impossible to agree on

once we had placed Breaking Bad at No 1.

However, for what it's worth here's some of the contenders...

The Killing (Danish)

Game of Thrones

Borgen (Danish)

Braquo (French) (You may not know this one. If not, sign up to Love Film for a free trial if only to just watch this!)

The Wire

Boardwalk Empire

The Sopranos

Walking Dead

Mad Men

The Tudors

The Bridge (Swedish)

Pacific... and of course Band of Brothers

Deadwood was up there, but was disqualified for not having an ending at all.

I read your post, Harry, with trepidation in case you gave away the ending of Breaking bad - but you didn't! :dancing:

We've got episodes 10-16 to finish so maybe a marathon session might be on the cards for us, too.

From your list, we've seen the Danish Killing and the Wire (came as a real shock to find out Idris Elba is English).....

The others I'll add to our list for future viewing.

Much appreciated, Rid

Breaking Bad is in my opinion, the greatest tv show of all time, by quite some distance.

And i have to take issue with the "its a slow burner" argument that seems to constantly creep up against it, i blame 24 for this, if an episode doesnt finish with a nuke on countdown then its deemed boring and too slow. Bb is the most addictive and compelling tv I've ever seen.

And yeh it's cliched but sopranos and the wire are next in line. Dexter was dynamite for first few seasons but the way it ended has near ruined the entire show for, awful final season! Me and the missus enjoyed luther on netflix too. Ive only skimmed through this thread so apologies if someone has mentioned it, but six feet under is a really good show i aint seen mentioned.

My 2nd fave show of all time after bb is undoubtedly the office(uk version), though i got into it before gervais was a pain in the tits, so i can see why people wd struggle with it now due to disliking him. But it's a seminal work of tv genius! N it shares with bb the trait of going out at the top of its game, n with the perfect finale.