Reflections Upon Fan Representation

mrD

Based on that dissertation survey, i think that the last post and locking of the thread by admin2 was somewhat over the top based on the information on the thread. A dissertation pole hardly constitutes 'personal gain', and the level of scruitiny that was put forward in that post, based over someone doing a pole for their dissertation came across a bit over the top likewise. If there has been leaking of information by the board to people based on their personal relationships, then the fault lies with the board. This is hardly a new phenomena, where personal relationships with board members or employees has allowed information to circulate, which have on occasion (IIRC) been welcome.

Anyways, what this issue and the issues raised on the thread to do with the safety certificate raise is the notion of how to go about holding the board of directors to account by the fans. On the back of the sh!t that has gone down with the jags trust, people have in my opinion, made the mistaken assumption (IMO) that the problem lied within the institution of the trust itself, rather than the decisions the JTB have made. It was subsequently posited that what was needed was a new organisation and people enthusiastically got behind this new organisation that the club said that they were going to bring into being. Myself and a few others (Fearchar IIRC) have argued against this on the grounds that such an organisation would be inherently problematic, that such organisations are inevitably going to be at best conflicted and at worst a mechanism for whitewashing problematic decisions by the board via gaining the 'assent' of the fans by the 'consultation' by an organisation that they (the board) run. TAG is analogous to an employer setting up a workers consultation organisation to replace unions. Imagine how mental that proposition is!! (actually have worked in a call centre that actually did have an organisation like that)

Like plenty of people on JTB have been brave enough to admit over the years, is that mistakes have been made and have often taken personal responsibility for this happening. I think it is now time for the people that have been behind this move towards TAG to stop complaining about when the club are going to allow us to represent ourselves and actually get back into the business of representing themselves. Admit the mistake and move on. Surely, the fact of us waiting for them to bring it into being indicates exactly where the power lies! Obviously fan representation can happen in a variety of ways, but if people are going to think about collective ways of doing so, then maybe its time to start reconsidering their stance with the trust.

Edited by mrD
  • Like 1

The JT is the only real option available for proper fan representation, will it ever happen? I doubt it, for a number of reasons.

The JT doesn't just need to hold the PTFC board to account when it's necessary, the JT members need to hold the JT board to account also. This requires a great deal of fan involvement & a large increase in the numbers who play at active role in the JT (either on the board or as an interested onlooker).

The club don't have to back the JT or set it targets as to when it will be considered important once again, if the JT becomes representative or a large proportion of the Jags fanbase (as it should be) the club can't not take it seriously & have greater interaction with the JT than it currently does.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

Based on that dissertation survey, i think that the last post and locking of the thread by admin2 was somewhat over the top based on the information on the thread. A dissertation pole hardly constitutes 'personal gain', and the level of scruitiny that was put forward in that post, based over someone doing a pole for their dissertation came across a bit over the top likewise. If there has been leaking of information by the board to people based on their personal relationships, then the fault lies with the board. This is hardly a new phenomena, where personal relationships with board members or employees has allowed information to circulate, which have on occasion (IIRC) been

Sorry the guy should have been upfront , instead of stumbling across Thistle mention he was in a relationship with an employee of WeirThistle who happens to be Beatties daughter.

It's a shame as the survey seemed pretty good but now we question the real reason behind it

• Like 1

Just to be clear, cos I don't keep up with the club politics, is the daughter a paid employee?

Is this another example of our club being run as a personal concern rather than as a serious business?

I don't know if she is paid or not but on the WeirThistle web page she is the "Administrative Assistant" when you scroll down to "Structure"

http://thistleweir.co.uk/about

I think the question should be, is she qualified to do the job, if so, then why not? Perhaps she's doing it for a free or for a salary that's less than normal. Who knows?

Best qualified I think would be an even better way, Will.

I can't imagine its a full time paid job, but if it is, I'd imagine we advertised the position and she was successful due to being the best qualified. I'd hate for the club to leave themselves wide open to suggestions of nepotism.

I can't imagine its a full time paid job, but if it is, I'd imagine we advertised the position and she was successful due to being the best qualified. I'd hate for the club to leave themselves wide open to suggestions of nepotism.

Come on, you'd love it really! ;)

This is the key issue for me. We very rarely advertise positions but people seem to come and go from our club with regularity. I'm sure the board put money into the club but even so they seem to have so many ways of taking back out (such as hospitality, trips, jobs for family, land deals, formal business contracts).

I don't know the girl and she may be an excellent addition to the club but purely and simply if she wasn't recruited fairly and openly then our club is just being used as a plaything for her dad. If we needed a paid member of staff we should advertise. If we needed a volunteer we should have opened it up via the club website.

Especially when its the Weirs money that is being spent and not Thistles