Post Match Reation

ayrshire jag

Will depend on the referee's report but if he was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity, and I suspect he was, then it is the Berwick match that he will miss.

He only misses the Dundee game if he was sent off for serious foul play.

The two Dundee players sent off yesterday will miss our game.

Said 'serious foul play' on Sky if that means anything?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will depend on the referee's report but if he was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity, and I suspect he was, then it is the Berwick match that he will miss.

He only misses the Dundee game if he was sent off for serious foul play.

The two Dundee players sent off yesterday will miss our game.

Ignore me. I got that the wrong way round. :blush:

If he was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity it is the Dundee match he would miss.

He only misses the Berwick game if he was sent off for serious foul play.

Doh, I'm an idiot! Too much on my mind right now to think straight.

• Members

Ignore me. I got that the wrong way round. :blush:

If he was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity it is the Dundee match he would miss.

He only misses the Berwick game if he was sent off for serious foul play.

Doh, I'm an idiot! Too much on my mind right now to think straight.

Presumably the two Dundee players will then be able available next week then?

Presumably the two Dundee players will then be able available next week then?

No, I got that bit right. Two yellow cards apparently (not read today's papers for confirmation of that yet), so they miss the next match in the competition they collected their red card in.

A player only misses the next match irrespective of the competition if the red card was for 'serious foul play'.

The Arbroath game was under Bryce.

The Stirling 2-2 with 9 men was under McVeigh.

Can't think of any others where we've had a result with less than 10 players on the park at FT/

A 2-1 win at Cappielow in September 1983. Ian McDonald and Ian Jardine were sent off. Peter Cormack was the manager. The Morton game was our 7th straight league victory at the start of the season but lost at Brechin, with Cormack playing as a second half sub, on the Saturday following the Morton match.

A 2-1 win at Cappielow in September 1983. Ian McDonald and Ian Jardine were sent off. Peter Cormack was the manager. The Morton game was our 7th straight league victory at the start of the season but lost at Brechin, with Cormack playing as a second half sub, on the Saturday following the Morton match.

fair enough.... before my time :)

• Members

No, I got that bit right. Two yellow cards apparently (not read today's papers for confirmation of that yet), so they miss the next match in the competition they collected their red card in.

A player only misses the next match irrespective of the competition if the red card was for 'serious foul play'.

Cheers.

• Members

Any time I hear Cormack's name mentioned as our manager it's always in a bad light, yet I've always had an impression that he wasn't 'that' bad and 7 wins on the trot at the start of the season seems to back that up?

However, that said, I played football most Saturdays at this time and only managed to see a few games each season, so I may have an unrealistic view of things!

Any time I hear Cormack's name mentioned as our manager it's always in a bad light, yet I've always had an impression that he wasn't 'that' bad and 7 wins on the trot at the start of the season seems to back that up?

However, that said, I played football most Saturdays at this time and only managed to see a few games each season, so I may have an unrealistic view of things!

I'm as bias as they come with this one but Peter Cormack is 2nd in my list of fav Thistle managers but as I was only about 5 or 6 in his days it has nothing to do with results. Some of my fav Thistle players of all time come from that era too, strange :thinking:

What today may have taught us is that we might need to adopt a system that first and foremost makes us difficult to beat. If that is what we need to do then I’ll not hide away from doing that.

I trust that isn't meaning going back to a 3-5-2.

That may have been passable before but we had Harkins and Twaddle back then. The latter could play as an orthodox wing-back and Harkins could be effective drifting out wide.

I've no doubt we've got the personnel to do the defensive bit fine (especially when McNamara and Archie return) but Paton & Boyle just don't fit the bill as wing-backs plus we'd need a centre-back who would cross the half way line more than just for set pieces.

A 3-5-2 would also mean sacrificing a midfield player. Midfield is probably the only area where we're relatively decent. Tho' the idea saddens me I'd rather see us play with two sitting midfielders (Rowson & Hodge/McNamara) than go back to a 3-5-2.

In some perverse way yesterday's thrashing might be better for us than a 0-1 defeat. We'd be getting fed a diet of one defensive blunder and missed chances, which on another day we'd have put away . Instead at least we've learnt some sad truths or more correctly had those sad truths well and truly confirmed.

Knocked out the League Cup by Meadowbank, losing both legs, early that season provocked a furious reaction. The first that I really remember.

The sale of Johnston in November that year probably got the club old of whatever financial crisis they were in at the time but probably cost us promotion. When we beat Kilmarnock at the end of the year we were 7 points clear at the top (two points for a win then) and it looked like a case of "who will be second" only for the season to implode big time after new year.

I think 3-5-2 for this team is the only logical solution,

McNamara as sweeper with a midfield 3 of Cairney, Flannigan and Rowson. A lot of energy in midfield and a decent passer/retainer of the ball in Flannigan on yesterdays showing. I actually thought Flannigan had a good game yesterday; keeping the ball moving and holding on to it when necessary after we went down to 10 men.

Paton could do a job as a wing back - probably not ideal but he's ok for that position as he does have a good engine and hes crossing recently is better than the tail end of last season. Boyles had an ok start to the season so hopefully hes had a bit of confidence from that and keeps progressing,

Having said all that...if Kinniburgh continues to feature in our team then we WILL concede goals. he is dangerous

Knocked out the League Cup by Meadowbank, losing both legs, early that season provocked a furious reaction. The first that I really remember.

The sale of Johnston in November that year probably got the club old of whatever financial crisis they were in at the time but probably cost us promotion. When we beat Kilmarnock at the end of the year we were 7 points clear at the top (two points for a win then) and it looked like a case of "who will be second" only for the season to implode big time after new year.

Was there a protest outside Firhill because of that Tom? I vaguely remember coming away from a game with my dad and asking him what was going on. He said something about the fans wanting Bertie Auld back in charge/in charge, not sure if it was in relation to this tho.

Was there a protest outside Firhill because of that Tom? I vaguely remember coming away from a game with my dad and asking him what was going on. He said something about the fans wanting Bertie Auld back in charge/in charge, not sure if it was in relation to this tho.

I can remember three of four relatively big protests after games in the first half of the 1980s. Particuarly when Benny Rooney and Derek Johnstone, nominally in his case, were the manager.

• Members

I can remember three of four relatively big protests after games in the first half of the 1980s. Particularly when Benny Rooney and Derek Johnstone, nominally in his case, were the manager.

Some of the biggest protests were at the top of the stairs at the City end terracing as the players and management trooped off after a bad result to the dressing rooms at that end of the ground. The players have got it so easy these days!

Some of the biggest protests were at the top of the stairs at the City end terracing as the players and management trooped off after a bad result to the dressing rooms at that end of the ground. The players have got it so easy these days!

Paul Paton would have spontaneously combusted under the pressure.

I think 3-5-2 for this team is the only logical solution,

McNamara as sweeper with a midfield 3 of Cairney, Flannigan and Rowson. A lot of energy in midfield and a decent passer/retainer of the ball in Flannigan on yesterdays showing. I actually thought Flannigan had a good game yesterday; keeping the ball moving and holding on to it when necessary after we went down to 10 men.

Paton could do a job as a wing back - probably not ideal but he's ok for that position as he does have a good engine and hes crossing recently is better than the tail end of last season. Boyles had an ok start to the season so hopefully hes had a bit of confidence from that and keeps progressing,

Having said all that...if Kinniburgh continues to feature in our team then we WILL concede goals. he is dangerous

Sorry, but that's where we differ big time. Paton virtually never beats a man or gets to the bye line. Boyle's maybe slightly better but it's quite a slow process getting him to a crossing position far up the field. Even if one could be like Twaddle that might be acceptable. If the sweeper/third centre back had pace to get forward it would also be OKish. Failing that what we'll end up with is three centre backs in their own half and two full backs not adept enough to get far enough up the flanks. Fine if we're winning but near to useless when we're chasing the game.

Bit of an "if yer auntie had baws" argument, but if we'd been playing a sweeper yesterday then the 1st and 3rd goals almost certainly wouldn't have happened.

I've been banging on since we signed McNamara again that we should be playing a guy with his experience at sweeper, and that a 3-5-2 suits our current squad best. We had 4 central midfielders across the midfield yesterday.

Paton was fine in that formation 2 years ago, in fact that was probably his best spell for us. My worries with 3-5-2 would be Boyle's reluctance to get forward (but he's been far from the worst on show in the last 2 games) and the lack of a left-sided centre half apart from Archie (not counting Maxwell). I suppose Boyle could play there but then we have no other credible option at LWB.

In retrospect Cormack's record wasn't so bad, but however at the time the consensus was pretty damming. Oh how naive we were expecting to be promoted at the first time of asking and without too much trouble either.Looking back it seems like another world indeed.