Politics At The Football...?

crazy davie

One of the great things about the forum is that I get to hear the views of oil industry experts every day.

You don't have to be an expert in the oil industry, arithmetic, or anything at all to work out that however finite the oil reserves are, or how volatile the price of oil might be over time, reaping 90% of the value of that resource is a hell of a lot better than being able to access a mere 8 or 9% of that value.

Seriously, how stupid do you think other people on this forum are?

Do you have any definite answers for us yet re. the next UK General Election result, and the in/out EU referendum?

You don't have to be an expert in the oil industry, arithmetic, or anything at all to work out that however finite the oil reserves are, or how volatile the price of oil might be over time, reaping 90% of the value of that resource is a hell of a lot better than being able to access a mere 8 or 9% of that value.

Yeah like its that simple. Why are you bothering to say '8 or 9' percent, when you have no idea what you are talking about in the first place.

I doubt you are an authority on your own *********, let alone on the future of the north sea.

The powers are guaranteed by all 3 parties. They will not go back on them. There was a joint declaration by all 3 parties a month ago and again by Gordon Brown last week.

I apologise if I've missed your post to back up this statement.

You do know that these "promises" of which there are none, haven't actually got the ok from the other UK MP's or The a House Of Lords. They've not even been consulted. Any promises need their vote of approval.

What's that phrase about turkey's and Christmas?

I did say you were correct.

Just not sure why this argument is levied against the SNP or the Referendum campaign in particular.

% of electorate share is a cross-party issue which affects every party proportionately - that's all I'm saying.

The argument could be used to rubbish every result, ever.

Incidentally, Team Yes were the only side to run an active voters registration campaign. Seemed to work very well - I think 97% registered is absolutely amazing myself.

The "argument" is (I would say, the facts we established are)only leveled at the SNP and the Referendum campaign here because that is the matter in discussion.

It relates to all and is in no way rubbishing election results. I repeat, "I made no question about the legitamcy of the current Holyrood executive or their right to call for a referendum.". Elections are a recurrent, essential and accepted part of our present democracy.

Referenda are very different, they are called for and granted. This one is particularly different because it poses a question, not about how we engage in, develop, or use our democracy, but whether or not we (those invited to vote) seperate and establish a new one.

That a referendum of such nature and importance has anyone running an active voters registration campaign, further emphasises the point that Scotland does not deserve special plaudits for it's population's political engagement. The 97% is an increase of about 300,000 "new" voters, a figure which includes the first time 16/17 year olds, since 2010 and equates to about 4.2million people. At the time of the devolution referendum 1997, Scotland had about 3.9million registered voters, 60 % voted. The last three holyrood elections have all been about 50% turnout.

Interesting, perhaps, that at the last referendum which posed a question about our system of government, the 2011 alternative vote, turnout in Scotland was also 50%. With an expected 80%+ turnout expected on thursday, a sceptic might be tempted to theorise that if you stick a flag into a "debate", and raise the stakes, people will get "politicised".

The "argument" is (I would say, the facts we established are)only leveled at the SNP and the Referendum campaign here because that is the matter in discussion.

It relates to all and is in no way rubbishing election results. I repeat, "I made no question about the legitamcy of the current Holyrood executive or their right to call for a referendum.". Elections are a recurrent, essential and accepted part of our present democracy.

Referenda are very different, they are called for and granted. This one is particularly different because it poses a question, not about how we engage in, develop, or use our democracy, but whether or not we (those invited to vote) seperate and establish a new one.

That a referendum of such nature and importance has anyone running an active voters registration campaign, further emphasises the point that Scotland does not deserve special plaudits for it's population's political engagement. The 97% is an increase of about 300,000 "new" voters, a figure which includes the first time 16/17 year olds, since 2010 and equates to about 4.2million people. At the time of the devolution referendum 1997, Scotland had about 3.9million registered voters, 60 % voted. The last three holyrood elections have all been about 50% turnout.

Interesting, perhaps, that at the last referendum which posed a question about our system of government, the 2011 alternative vote, turnout in Scotland was also 50%. With an expected 80%+ turnout expected on thursday, a sceptic might be tempted to theorise that if you stick a flag into a "debate", and raise the stakes, people will get "politicised".

Never let a fact get in the way of an opinion....

If turnout is 82% then the number of people who voted will be double the last general election

Yeah like its that simple. Why are you bothering to say '8 or 9' percent, when you have no idea what you are talking about in the first place.

I doubt you are an authority on your own *********, let alone on the future of the north sea.

I don't know whether to laugh at you or cry for you, DP. Every other user of this forum knows what I mean when I say 8 or 9%...

As for my being, or not being, an authority on my own *********. What does that mean? I'm pretty good at crossword puzzles and that kind of thing, but I need some kind of clue (even a cryptic one) and/or maybe one or two letters...

You've lost the plot, pal. Too much time spent fantasising about wrecking Jo Swinson's marriage I suspect.

I apologise if I've missed your post to back up this statement.

You do know that these "promises" of which there are none, haven't actually got the ok from the other UK MP's or The a House Of Lords. They've not even been consulted. Any promises need their vote of approval.

What's that phrase about turkey's and Christmas?

Correct English Tory MPs will want the west Lothian solution , labour will say no, talks get bogged down.....UK general election .... All forgotten about

News just in.... Extra Powers won't happen after a no vote:

Tory backbenchers are "incensed" at David Cameron's plan to sustain Scotland's generous funding settlement after a No.

One tells the Telegraph that David Cameron faces a "bloodbath" the day after the referendum if he attempts to ensure that Scotland still receives the Barnett forumla, on top of devolved tax and spend powers.

At present, public sector spending is £8,529 a head in England, compared to £9709 in Wales, £10,152 in Scotland and £10,876 in Northern Ireland.

“There will be a bloodbath. Last night as I was listening to Cameron saying we are going to be providing all these additional benefits to Scotland, when we are struggling in so many areas of the UK.

“It’s all happening on the hoof, in cliquey conversations on telephones in Downing Street. It isn’t happening, and there are a number of us who are incensed who will make sure it isn’t going to happen. But let’s see what the results are first.”

News just in.... Extra Powers won't happen after a no vote:

Tory backbenchers are "incensed" at David Cameron's plan to sustain Scotland's generous funding settlement after a No.

One tells the Telegraph that David Cameron faces a "bloodbath" the day after the referendum if he attempts to ensure that Scotland still receives the Barnett forumla, on top of devolved tax and spend powers.

At present, public sector spending is £8,529 a head in England, compared to £9709 in Wales, £10,152 in Scotland and £10,876 in Northern Ireland.

“There will be a bloodbath. Last night as I was listening to Cameron saying we are going to be providing all these additional benefits to Scotland, when we are struggling in so many areas of the UK.

“It’s all happening on the hoof, in cliquey conversations on telephones in Downing Street. It isn’t happening, and there are a number of us who are incensed who will make sure it isn’t going to happen. But let’s see what the results are first.”

Do the rebel Tories have enough votes to defeat the other Tory MPs, Labour MPs and Lib Dem MPs who would be whipped to vote for the deal and any necessary legislation? Generally, the Tory rebels can muster around 50 votes at most. Then the rebels have the problem of next year's general election when their party could lose power and, in many cases, they could lose their seats.

Cameron, of course, could be forced out by a vote of no confidence by a majority of his MPs. If the Lib Dems will not deal with his successor, the Coalition would collapse. An early general election could be called if the minority Government lost a confidence vote. The rebels probably have a month or two at most to get him out before the deal or legislation is passed.

Spain debunks Salmond's EU and Pound claims.

"An independent Scotland would be forced to wait at least five years to join the EU then sign up to the euro, the Spanish government has warned in a major intervention 48 hours before the referendum that directly contradicts Alex Salmond’s claims.

"Inigo Mendez de Vigo, the Spanish European Affairs Minister, rejected the First Minister’s claims Scotland could negotiate membership “from within” the EU, saying it would have to apply from scratch and follow the usual accession process.

"He told BBC’s Newsnight programme Jean-Claude Juncker, the new European Commission president, has hinted this would take five years and no new member state would be given an opt-out from the single currency.

"...José Manuel Barroso, the former commission president, has warned it would be "extremely difficult, if not impossible" for a separate Scotland to join the EU.

"Herman Van Rompuy, the president of the European Council, which consists of all the member states’ leaders, said he agreed with Mr Barroso.

"The Spanish Prime Minister has also said Scotland would start life outside the EU, while Mr Juncker has said voters’ decision would be respected but it could not become a member merely by sending a letter.

"Mr Mendez de Vigo said: “It is crystal clear that any partner member-state that leaves the member state is out of the European Union. If they want to apply again, they would have to follow the procedure of article 49 of the treaties.”

Edited by kni

Of course Spain can be counted on to be completely neutral in the Scottish independence issue.

Sorry, I was forgetting there about their rabid hanging on to Catalonia...

Spain has never pretended to be neutral but it has a lot of clout in the EU Council. Catalonia is the wealthiest region in Spain. Losing it would bankrupt the Spanish economy. Mendez's statements on Article 49 and no Euro opt-out are factually correct and reflect the official statements by the Presidents of the EU Commission and Council. Yet we are told time and again by Salmond and his supporters that they are wrong. They continue to repeat the blatant lies that Scotland can join the EU on independence and keep the Pound indefinitely as a Member State.

Why won't the Yes campaign even consider EFTA Membership and a new Scottish currency as realistic alternatives? A truly independent country would stay out of international super-states and currency unions. The SNP should change its name to the Supra-National Party to reflect its real policy of selling out independence to the EU's bureaucrats who enforce the majority decisions of the other 28 Member States' politicians.

Edited by kni