Simon Colina

Derby Jag

Noticed he was on the bench for the development squad yesterday.

I know he had a pretty bad injury last season but is it fair to say he hasn't progressed as we would have imagined? I have seen him play once, very briefly at the Gateshead friendly, so interested to hear what others think

Think he's played a few games. May have been unfortunate the last game as we wanted to give Welsh a run out and I guess Colina's position was the one that he fitted best into.

I'm thinking that with Fraser back soon and Osman so solid (not to mention Bannigan playing well) it's hard to see him fitting into his old holding midfield position. But he's capable of playing a more attacking midfield role, maybe in the current team taking over from Craigen. An attacking midfield trio of Higginbotham, Welsh and Lawless would be pretty good I think.

For whatever reason, the boy hasn't been given a chance.

I know he's had injuries but I do think that we may have maybe fallen in to the typical attitude of "he's too small, not physical enough" that seems to be the norm in this country.

I still hear people say the same about Lawless and wonder if that contributed to him dropping out the team for a lot of last season.

For whatever reason, the boy hasn't been given a chance.

I know he's had injuries but I do think that we may have maybe fallen in to the typical attitude of "he's too small, not physical enough" that seems to be the norm in this country.

I still hear people say the same about Lawless and wonder if that contributed to him dropping out the team for a lot of last season.

In general agreement, tho' it's always going to be a bit harder for Colina to break thru given he rarely has the luxury of picking up the ball in a wide position. Wee Stevie has been very impressive this season winning and holding the ball in central positions. But he might not have had the opportunity to do this had he not previously been able to do a job in a less physical role, playing wide.

No reason tho' that Simon won't reach at least the same level Lawless is currently at as he's got excellent touches and looks like he reads the game well.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett