Steven Pressley Rant

read'n'yell

Good for him! I've had my fun with him but on the whole he's a guy who has a lot of time for our club, speaks sensibly about the state of the game from grassroots to the bureaucrats, and is clearly passionate about his work.

I have plenty of time for Pressley. He has always been very complimentary about our club and the way we played football and he played a big part in Taylor and Osborne joining the club. Also was a vehement supporter of Sevco going right to the bottom of the pile in 2012 and that couldn't have been easy to say considering he used to play there and the threatening knuckledraggers that support that club

Very passionate interview and from what I've seen it's gone down very well with the Coventry fans.

My only worry is that he seems to be doing a Terry Butcher here.

He's saying he's already told some players that they are being shipped out, yet he also says that for the moment his hands are tied in terms of team selection. Reading between the lines I would say he still needs to play these guys until January and possibly till the end of the season in some cases. Butcher did the exact same thing with Hibs last season and it proved to be an absolute disaster, as the team just stopped playing for him altogether.

A brave strategy but an extremely risky one. To be fair to Pressley he hasn't named these guys publicly, but I'm sure the fans can all work out who they are.

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 2

I used to detest Pressley, mainly for his antics during his first whole season in charge of Falkirk where he often came across as a petulant, antagonistic bellend. However, he had a bit of a transformation the following season, conducted himself with a bit more humility and began to express opinions that I wholeheartedly agreed with. As such, I actually quite like the guy now and that's ignoring the fact he's helped Archie out with the recommendations of the aforementioned Osbourne, Taylor and of course, Seaborne.

• Like 2

Very passionate interview and from what I've seen it's gone down very well with the Coventry fans.

My only worry is that he seems to be doing a Terry Butcher here.

He's saying he's already told some players that they are being shipped out, yet he also says that for the moment his hands are tied in terms of team selection. Reading between the lines I would say he still needs to play these guys until January and possibly till the end of the season in some cases. Butcher did the exact same thing with Hibs last season and it proved to be an absolute disaster, as the team just stopped playing for him altogether.

A brave strategy but an extremely risky one. To be fair to Pressley he hasn't named these guys publicly, but I'm sure the fans can all work out who they are.

Yep, very good point.

I'd say the only slight difference is a lot of the Coventry squad is made up of players that Pressley brought in himself. With Butcher, he was decrying his predecessor's players, guys who had no loyalty to him beforehand and even less afterwards. Pressley's saving grace could be that the players he's lambasting might feel some sort of obligation to him and up their performances. Will be interesting to see what happens.