Development Squad Play Out Farce

The Sunnylaw Jag

I see the development squad got beat 4 - 1 yesterday, however the score doesn't tell the whole story. Apparently, the Jags had a player sent off in two minutes and a penalty given, then the same happened after 38 minutes. Well done to the nine men for getting a goal back in the second half before losing out to late goals from Aberdeen.

The Referee,a Mr Derek Crothers,did his very best to turn it into a farce,seemed quite pleased with himself.Most concerningly he would not stop the game for an obvious head injury to Jordan Leyden,the man is incompetent probably the most inept display of refereeing I have ever experienced.On a more positive note the lads kept going,Gary Fraser got another 70 mins,Declan/Nathan got the full 90 mins,Declan was his usual up and at them best,Nathan has all the speed but gets brushed off the ball a bit too easily for my liking.Marc Waters had some good stops,Big Muirhead was playing with a plaster cast?,he had a good 90 mins also.

• Like 1

I see that before that we got gubbed 1-6 by Hamilton U-20s. Though in that game I believe we played an all young boys team and they played Alex Neil and Jason Scotland (they may have played another over age guys but I don't know their squad that well.

Mind you even with the advantage Hamilton had still poor getting beat by that score but youngsters will be up and down especially if there is no older player on field to steady things.

I see the development squad got beat 4 - 1 yesterday, however the score doesn't tell the whole story. Apparently, the Jags had a player sent off in two minutes and a penalty given, then the same happened after 38 minutes. Well done to the nine men for getting a goal back in the second half before losing out to late goals from Aberdeen.

Didn't manage along but I'm glad to hear we had extenuating reasons for the defeat. I've no real problem with the refs being overstrict in their decision making if indeed this was the case. The latitude given in first team matches is another subject for discussion but I'm all in favour of the youngsters at least knowing what is strictly against the rules. Again this is based on attending a fair amount of U20s games and I've no knowledge if this happened yesterday.

Watched us getting taken apart by Accies last week tho' they required Alex Neil playing 45mins and Jason Scotland (two goals) playing for the full 90mins. Anyone impressed with McDaid's cameo role in Paisley may like to know that Declan's not a sole star player with the U20s. Encouragingly there's a few others that regularly put in comparable performances.

eta Just read Falkland 1's post whereas I was just generalising about the U20 refereeing. Our own manager, playing as an overage player, got sent off for foul and abusive language last season. :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like

1. Our defence couldn't handle a singe forward running and dribbling through us

2. We couldn't defend corners properly

Keeper looked a bit at fault a couple. Apart from that impossible to say how the team did as we've just got a camera behind the goal showing their goal attempts. Can't say whether all the fault was the defence or midfield not doing their job.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Seems like

1. Our defence couldn't handle a singe forward running and dribbling through us

2. We couldn't defend corners properly

Keeper looked a bit at fault a couple. Apart from that impossible to say how the team did as we've just got a camera behind the goal showing their goal attempts. Can't say whether all the fault was the defence or midfield not doing their job.

Didn't at the time think the keeper Waters was at fault. We've been trying out three at the back lately and did so in the first half. There was improvement in the second half but not sure if you could put it down simply to reverting to our more regular shape or substitutions. They had four or five overage players so when Forbes and Moffat were replaced it could've had a bearing.

I've noticed both Accies and the Pars have benefited from playing overage players, which strangely, when we do, it doesn't always help the U20s. To put the defeat in context only two of the Pars goals came from an U20. Into the bargain we've key players out on loan and have a few real youngsters in the squad.

It does seem some teams over-use over-age players. Are they more concerned to win than bring on youngsters? I'm sure ours is the best way but maybe there are occasions when if we know the opposition will be playing a lot of overage players we should play more ourselves or at least if possible not play too many under-age ones. It might avoid bad, confident sapping defeats.

It does seem some teams over-use over-age players. Are they more concerned to win than bring on youngsters? I'm sure ours is the best way but maybe there are occasions when if we know the opposition will be playing a lot of overage players we should play more ourselves or at least if possible not play too many under-age ones. It might avoid bad, confident sapping defeats.

Good point. You could counter that the youngsters are gaining valuable experience playing against guys like Jason Scotland, Alex Neil Andy Geggan, Michael Moffat. Even tho' those senior players are often no more than journeymen pros they usually display decent awareness and positioning.

Only Scott McKenzie, perhaps Archie & Shaggy as well, will know if some of these results are confidence snapping or not. We're not blessed with a great array of alternatives and worse I fully expect one or two could be going out on loan before long

The development league is just a compromise for teams to give game time to senior players coming back from injury and others who don't feature much in the first team.

I think it's 5 overage players plus a GK which doesn't leave much places for young players if a team decides to go with the full quota of overage players.

Each club wil have their own ideas on how they use the development league and results for me are not that important.

Ideally most teams will blood mainly young players with some experience players around them but these youngsters will also learn alot from playing against a senior pro player.

If Thistle can find a few players each season who are good enough to make the step up to first team then that is far more important than getting results in a Development league.

It's still early days with the youth academy but it's purpose is to produce players to play through the year groups to development league and then hopefully the first team and i have no doubts that this will happen.

• Like 3

I think though one of the problems is that are a lot under 20's players who are missing out in valuable game time which may well stunt their development and indeed effect their motivation.

They can also go out on loan to get competitive games to aid their footballing development.

Most managers wanted a change to the 20's set up as they struggled to keep fiinge team players or players returning from injury playing games in a competitve enviroment.

The compromise is the present set up where you can have some promising young players in the development squad and others out on loan.

Every team will only have a handful of players the management will think have a chance to progress to first team and the present set up still gives these boys a chance of getting good game time.

Thistle and other sides (who see the importance of promoting youth) have an U18's development side which again gives boys another opportunity of getting games which helps these boys as they take the big jump from 17's to 20's.