The General Election Thread

The Devil's Point

I thought we just voted for Scotland to remain part of the UK? I doubt UKIP will be putting up candidates in every seat (apologies if I am wrong on that).

Surely Scottish MP's are just as important as any other ones, so, given that the SNP are likely to make some gains, and hold some influence, they have a right to set out their stall (and probably be taken to pieces) in the debates.

I'd love to bin the SNP, but if its a democracy we can't.

If the SNP fully agreed with that it would weaken their arguement for seperation a little would it not? :partyhat:

If the SNP fully agreed with that it would weaken their arguement for seperation a little would it not? :partyhat:

Indeed, and its a problem for them.

General Elections are won on 'the economy stupid'. The Nat economics lies in tatters due to deflation and the oil price. They have been found out already.htt

Only Al Murray can save Britain, and make us rule the waves again.......http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-30819779

Edited by The Devil's Point

I thought we just voted for Scotland to remain part of the UK? I doubt UKIP will be putting up candidates in every seat (apologies if I am wrong on that).

Surely Scottish MP's are just as important as any other ones, so, given that the SNP are likely to make some gains, and hold some influence, they have a right to set out their stall (and probably be taken to pieces) in the debates.

I'd love to bin the SNP, but if its a democracy we can't.

Scottish MPs are more important than English MPs. They can vote on English laws etc in areas which have been devolved to Holyrood. Scottish and Welsh MPs can vote on laws that don't affect their constituents, i.e. they do as the Whips tell them and are not accountable to the electorate for their actions.

In the past, the SNP's MPs have abstained from voting on English laws. Alex Salmond is now saying that he would support a change to that honourable practice if the SNP agrees to join a Coalition with Labour. So much for democracy! It would be the "tipping point" in England that would lead to UKIP gaining millions more votes at the following general election.

Scottish MPs are more important than English MPs. They can vote on English laws etc in areas which have been devolved to Holyrood. Scottish and Welsh MPs can vote on laws that don't affect their constituents, i.e. they do as the Whips tell them and are not accountable to the electorate for their actions.

In the past, the SNP's MPs have abstained from voting on English laws. Alex Salmond is now saying that he would support a change to that honourable practice if the SNP agrees to join a Coalition with Labour. So much for democracy! It would be the "tipping point" in England that would lead to UKIP gaining millions more votes at the following general election.

So what? That is democracy, so get over it. UKIP is on a massively upward trend in England already, and it has f*** all to do with the SNP. But don't let that stand in the way of yet another barely disguised attack on the only party that will work first and foremost towards Scotland getting a better deal from its English controllers.

You are clearly against the SNP, and it now sounds as if you are against UKIP. Is the conclusion that those of us who bother to read your posts should draw that only parties you approve of (whatever two or three they may be) should be voted for?

Edited by Jaggernaut

So what? That is democracy, so get over it. UKIP is on a massively upward trend in England already, and it has f*** all to do with the SNP. But don't let that stand in the way of yet another barely disguised attack on the only party that will work first and foremost towards Scotland getting a better deal from its English controllers. You are clearly against the SNP, and it now sounds as if you are against UKIP. Is the conclusion that those of us who bother to read your posts should draw that only parties you approve of (whatever two or three they may be) should be voted for?

It is not democracy. Salmond's recent statement showed that the SNP is ready to join Labour and Lib Dem MPs in the lobbies when voting on English laws.

Why should MPs in Scotland vote to decide laws in England on matters that are devolved in Scotland, e.g. health, education and transport? Don't you believe in MPs being accountable to the voters for their actions? I condemn any Scottish MPs, not just the SNP's, who vote on English laws.

Your last sentence is typical of the paranoid SNP nonsense that you post. "English controllers" is another example of that paranoia. There are Welsh and Northern Irish MPs in Westminster too. Why don't you blame them?

It's obvious to me that the SNP and UKIP have similar Nationalist mindsets. The SNP blames all our problems on the English (e.g. "controllers"). UKIP's scapegoats are migrants, especially from the EU. Both are exploiting insecurity and bigotry for their selfish political ends.

For the record, as a democrat, I believe that any voter should be able to vote for any party's (or independent) candidate. Remember that the SNP is not the only pro-independence party standing in Scotland in May. The Greens supported the Yes campaign too, are growing fast and now have more members than UKIP.

Edited by kni

It is not democracy. Salmond's recent statement showed that the SNP is ready to join Labour and Lib Dem MPs in the lobbies when voting on English laws.

Why should MPs in Scotland vote to decide laws in England on matters that are devolved in Scotland, e.g. health, education and transport? Don't you believe in MPs being accountable to the voters for their actions? I condemn any Scottish MPs, not just the SNP's, who vote on English laws.

Your last sentence is typical of the paranoid SNP nonsense that you post. "English controllers" is another example of that paranoia. There are Welsh and Northern Irish MPs in Westminster too. Why don't you blame them?

It's obvious to me that the SNP and UKIP have similar Nationalist mindsets. The SNP blames all our problems on the English (e.g. "controllers"). UKIP's scapegoats are migrants, especially from the EU. Both are exploiting insecurity and bigotry for their selfish political ends.

For the record, as a democrat, I believe that any voter should be able to vote for any party's (or independent) candidate. Remember that the SNP is not the only pro-independence party standing in Scotland in May. The Greens supported the Yes campaign too, are growing fast and now have more members than UKIP.

Please provide a single example of the above statement in bold. That is just another of your crass generalisations (bordering on lies).

The Welsh and NI MPs are irrelevant to the Scottish inability to wield any power at Westminster. And of course Scottish MPs should vote on "English" affairs when those affairs are going to have knock-on effects in Scotland.By denying them that right then you are clearly condemning Scotland to being a second-class member of the so-called union. Should Scottish MPs at Westminster therefore be part-time only?

It's obvious to me that you have a British Nationalist mindset, which is of course your right, but please don't try to patronise us by pretending you don't, Mr. "Democrat."

Replace England with Westminster and you have the SNP blame game mantra.

The UK General Election should be about UK issues. The SNP have failed on currency as they supported €uro before back pedalling and made a mess of Sterling Union during indyref.

The SNP have failed in terms of costings over pensions, welfare v tax. They want a large state but keep taxes down. The only redistribution at UK level they want is cut in Corporation Tax. In tax they are very Conservative.

They also failed on economy. Oil price plummeting. They praised the Celtic Tiger, they praised the Arc of Prosperity they praised Fred Goodwin and RBS, they praised the EU when it punished smaller countries and in effect forced out elected officials so technocrats could take over and push through EU demands.

If Scotland's political culture was mature people would think about the numbers instead of pure nationalism and the lingering resentment of indyref result. It's land of chocolate and outrage v numbers and stats.

Replace England with Westminster and you have the SNP blame game mantra.

The UK General Election should be about UK issues. The SNP have failed on currency as they supported €uro before back pedalling and made a mess of Sterling Union during indyref.

The SNP have failed in terms of costings over pensions, welfare v tax. They want a large state but keep taxes down. The only redistribution at UK level they want is cut in Corporation Tax. In tax they are very Conservative.

They also failed on economy. Oil price plummeting. They praised the Celtic Tiger, they praised the Arc of Prosperity they praised Fred Goodwin and RBS, they praised the EU when it punished smaller countries and in effect forced out elected officials so technocrats could take over and push through EU demands.

If Scotland's political culture was mature people would think about the numbers instead of pure nationalism and the lingering resentment of indyref result. It's land of chocolate and outrage v numbers and stats.

The only repeated failures here are your rather pathetic attempts to smear the SNP. In your eyes is 1.4 or 1.5 trillion in debt and getting worse some kind of stupendous success story for the UK governments? Is swingeing austerity that hurts the poorer majority, with worse to come, some kind of stupendous success story? Is the fact that the SNP government has never run over budget despite the limited amount it is given as pocket money some kind of dreadful failure? Like other british nationalists, you fail to see your own "pure nationalism." You can dredge up historical changes in circumstances and claim "failure," but that's immature and pathetic. Did the UK government predict current oil prices? The answer is no. Did they prepare for it? The answer is no. Did the UK government sell off its gold reserves at rock bottom prices to avoid bankruptcy? YES. Did the UK government need to go cap in hand to the IMF to get bailed out? YES. Did London-controlled UK banking regulators oversee the disastrous banking crisis without doing anything about it? YES. Did I see in this morning's paper evidence of former PM Tony Blair writing a fawning letter of congratulations to Gaddafi? YES. Do we see the Westminster establishment pulling all the strings to avoid publication of the Chilcot enquiry? YES. Have we seen the scandalous dossiers about rampant sexual abuse at Westminster mysteriously disappearing literally and from the media? YES. Did we see additional powers agreed by all members of the Smith Commission eliminated by unionist bosses in England before it even got submitted? YES. Are we seeing bankrupt Britain so desperate to keep pretending to be some kind of world power that it buys aircraft carriers for which it can't even afford aeroplanes? YES. Do we see a situation where the UK defences are now so impoverished that they had to call on other countries for help in searching for a submarine in the North Sea recently? YES. Are we seeing an ever-increasing gap in inequality between the rich and privileged in the UK and the rest? YES.

All British nationalist failures. But hey, never mind, you can get spoon fed Strictly Come Dancing and Springwatch and everything else the BBC will throw at gullible people to numb their brains and believe that they live in some kind of Utopia.

• Like 3

I would never class myself as a nationalist of any kind. It's nuts to me that due to a quirk in where I was born and live I need to act or think a certain way. Unfortunately due to indyref I have started to feel slightly uncomfortable now when I see a saltire hanging from a window due to the mob mentality of some cammpaigners.

Your view of total and outright negativity to a certain parliament, adopting certain situations such as child abuse to justify your views and total belief that Scotland would not mistakes that maj of Western countries have is almost Pravda like.

Scottish politics is depressing at moment with a mantra of "if it's not Scottish (SNP) it's pish". It's total grievance with limited facts to back up policy or failures ala £1/2 billion underspend and double face when SNP sign up to Smith Commission then immediately try to undermine.

The only repeated failures here are your rather pathetic attempts to smear the SNP. In your eyes is 1.4 or 1.5 trillion in debt and getting worse some kind of stupendous success story for the UK governments? Is swingeing austerity that hurts the poorer majority, with worse to come, some kind of stupendous success story? Is the fact that the SNP government has never run over budget despite the limited amount it is given as pocket money some kind of dreadful failure? Like other british nationalists, you fail to see your own "pure nationalism." You can dredge up historical changes in circumstances and claim "failure," but that's immature and pathetic. Did the UK government predict current oil prices? The answer is no. Did they prepare for it? The answer is no. Did the UK government sell off its gold reserves at rock bottom prices to avoid bankruptcy? YES. Did the UK government need to go cap in hand to the IMF to get bailed out? YES. Did London-controlled UK banking regulators oversee the disastrous banking crisis without doing anything about it? YES. Did I see in this morning's paper evidence of former PM Tony Blair writing a fawning letter of congratulations to Gaddafi? YES. Do we see the Westminster establishment pulling all the strings to avoid publication of the Chilcot enquiry? YES. Have we seen the scandalous dossiers about rampant sexual abuse at Westminster mysteriously disappearing literally and from the media? YES. Did we see additional powers agreed by all members of the Smith Commission eliminated by unionist bosses in England before it even got submitted? YES. Are we seeing bankrupt Britain so desperate to keep pretending to be some kind of world power that it buys aircraft carriers for which it can't even afford aeroplanes? YES. Do we see a situation where the UK defences are now so impoverished that they had to call on other countries for help in searching for a submarine in the North Sea recently? YES. Are we seeing an ever-increasing gap in inequality between the rich and privileged in the UK and the rest? YES. All British nationalist failures. But hey, never mind, you can get spoon fed Strictly Come Dancing and Springwatch and everything else the BBC will throw at gullible people to numb their brains and believe that they live in some kind of Utopia.

LOL keep taking the meds :borat:

the monster raving Green party, not a clue, scroll down and watch the clip, it is not all about defense and there is plenty more she has no clue about as well, it was like listening to the snp.

http://forces.tv/27087381

why would anyone vote for such a ridiculous party with ridiculous policies.

Edited by jaggybunnet

I would never class myself as a nationalist of any kind. It's nuts to me that due to a quirk in where I was born and live I need to act or think a certain way. Unfortunately due to indyref I have started to feel slightly uncomfortable now when I see a saltire hanging from a window due to the mob mentality of some cammpaigners.

Your view of total and outright negativity to a certain parliament, adopting certain situations such as child abuse to justify your views and total belief that Scotland would not mistakes that maj of Western countries have is almost Pravda like.

Scottish politics is depressing at moment with a mantra of "if it's not Scottish (SNP) it's pish". It's total grievance with limited facts to back up policy or failures ala £1/2 billion underspend and double face when SNP sign up to Smith Commission then immediately try to undermine.

Yet again, a totally one-sided attack on Yes supporters, 99.9% of whom are perfectly normal, peaceful people. What's your view on the union flag waving thugs in George Square, or the attacks on Yes-supporting pensioners, a pregnant woman getting kicked in the stomach, and so on? Conveniently forgotten about, of course.

The only thing depressing Scotland just now is the continued whinging by british nationalists such as yourself because they cannot thole the idea that more and more Scots have had enough of the totally corrupt and self-centred Westminster system.

Oh, and the Smith Commission was already undermined by the London parties who insisted that several propositions for more power get removed. Again, you fail to mention that in your rant.

LOL keep taking the meds :borat:

Well jb, if you are happy to discard that shameful list of UK establishment scandals with nothing but a "LOL,", a Borat emoticon, and a silly comment about taking "meds," then you really come across as somebody who does need some medication; but perhaps you are already on some kind of brain numbing substance, in which case I wish you well.

the vow+ hahaha yeah cause the vow went so well ! gordon brown and jim murphy must think people are buttoned up the back ! http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-31090242

we didn't want the vow and i wish they had stayed away as all it did was muddy the waters, i don't know ANYONE who voted no for more dev in fact the other way, i know someone who votedyes to try and scare more powers out of Westminster LOL.

• Like 1