Cult Heroes - John Buckley

The Sunnylaw Jag

I remember Donnelly's outrageous back heeled volley....one of the best I've ever seen...the ball rebounded out to him as he was moving away from goal and he quickly volleyed it...superb. Also John Buckley's free kick against Dundee in a 1-0 Firhill win and his great dribble at Brockville when his shot was parried by the keeper and McGlashan scored the rebound.

Edited by whitburn

Fondly recall the midweek game at Firhill v Simon Stainrod's Falkirk where JB scored two pearlers in a 2-0 drubbing.

He ran riot that night.

That game is up there with the best performances I have ever seen from a Jags team. It was two going on ten.

• Like 1

Nugget was John McNaught, but maybe some called him Worzel?

Worzel was his nickname. I attended his funeral in Hamilton along with a few other jags fans (Lambie, Collins and Davy McParland were there also, with both JL and GC being visibly upset throughout the service) They had a floral wreath at the side of his coffin spelling out Worzel. Never heard him called Nugget, but if you knew the guy personally and you called him that, I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. I was visibly upset when we let him go back to Hamilton. Great player, even for the short period he graced the Firhill turf.

Edited by Lindau

Worzel was his nickname. I attended his funeral in Hamilton along with a few other jags fans (Lambie, Collins and Davy McParland were there also, with both JL and GC being visibly upset throughout the service) They had a floral wreath at the side of his coffin spelling out Worzel. Never heard him called Nugget, but if you knew the guy personally and you called him that, I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. I was visibly upset when we let him go back to Hamilton. Great player, even for the short period he graced the Firhill turf.

ok cheers. I didn't know him, but my brother knew his cousin and we all referred to him as Nugget so it must have came from the cousin. As you say he was a great player for us and a sad loss. I particularly remember him scoring in a midweek Scottish Cup tie at Forfar :clapping:

• Like 1