Cult Heroes - John Buckley

The Sunnylaw Jag

In the latest issue of SITB I wrote an article about John Buckley as a Thistle Cult Hero. I hope to write some more but would like other people to try their hand at it too. If you have a favourite player you want to write about, have a go. We're not seeking too many words or facts more just the essence as to why you liked the player. Any articles send to me at [email protected]

Here is my article;

Cult Heroes – John Buckley

This occasional series is about players that had short Jags careers but in their brief time excited Jags fans and in some cases frustrated them. Although we all have our heroes I don’t think Denis McQuade, Bobby Houston, Kenny Watson, Gerry Britton could be called cult heroes among us Jags fans.

My first such player is John Buckley. Buckley was a great player and at times a frustrating one. He initially came to us on loan from Celtic in season 1983-84 and the following season was fully signed by Peter Cormack in a deal that saw us get £65,000 for Brian Whittaker as well as John.

John had a great turn of speed and was adept at putting in great crosses or indeed just walloping one in from distance. Like David Elliott who similarly, came from Celtic a few years later, John would often hit the ball past the defender and hit the byline at speed and put over some great balls to the centre, something that is lacking in the team of today.

In his book, Red and Yellow forever Robert Reid mentions a great goal he scored up at Kirkcaldy but that’s not one I remember. For me it was a goal down at Crappielow that I recall the best. John had the ball around the halfway line on the left and then moved inside and as the defenders off from him, he let fly from fully thirty yards and before the keeper knew it was in the back of the net. I remember at the time, saying to my mates that it was “a goal that made you jump up and down like crazy, you then spent the next few minutes trying find all the money you dropped.”

(A dodgy guy I know, claims that John was co-owner of some greyhounds and was allegedly not above interfering with them including a wee bit of embrocation on the testes to make a dog a bit quicker. Wonder if he self-medicated to be so fast.)

Sadly Doncaster Rovers came in for John in season and he was allowed to go for £30,000 . Scotland legend Billy Bremner, was the manager at the time and when he moved to Leeds United he took John with him. John didn’t fare too well at Elland Road and in fact if you search on Leeds fans forums he quite often turns up in worst Leeds players ever alongside another ex-Jag maverick John Donnelly. Here’s a couple of great quotes from Leeds fans.

Mike Forster says: John Buckley was your out and out winger. He was so tricky he often tricked himself and as a consequence often ended up flat on his backside. Another for the worse Leeds 11!

Eric Mc says: Bucky is a legend - or so he'll tell you!! Great guy!

There’s another one that said “at least he had nice hair.”

John would move on to Rotherham, where he played over 100 games before moving back to the Jags for a further 26 games under John Lambie. John then moved back down south to play with Scunthorpe and them back to Rotherham where he was involved in car crash that left him in a coma for a few days and indeed his head injury would cut his career short at the age of 31.

That was not the end of John’s involvement in football as he was the Manager of the Doncaster Belles for ten years before quitting in 2013.

In total John made 71 appearances for the Jags scoring 10 goals, it’s just a pity we never held on to him longer on both his times at Firhill.

David Stuart

As I recall he was great in his loan spell and didn't quite live up to expectations when subsequently fully signed up. Nonetheless certainly a talent, on his game absolutely electrifying.

Also mentioned in the article John Donnelly - now he WAS a player - at best imperious, at worst, Billy MacDonald. Originally played for Dumbarton - once refused to warm up at Firhill when playing for the Sons because it was too wet! (I know that because I was in the enclosure and he walked down the tunnel took a look and turned back to head for the relative warmth of the changing room). He absolutely ran that game and Dumbarton were deservedly winning 2-1 with 15 mins to go but Donnelly got injured, went off, and we scored 2 goals in the last few mins and won undeservedly 3-2.

But this is meant to be about Buckley so apologies and back to topic.

Edited by JeanieD
  • Like 2

As I recall he was great in his loan spell and didn't quite live up to expectations when subsequently fully signed up. Nonetheless certainly a talent, on his game absolutely electrifying.

Also mentioned in the article John Donnelly - now he WAS a player - at best imperious, at worst, Billy MacDonald. Originally played for Dumbarton - once refused to warm up at Firhill when playing for the Sons because it was too wet! (I know that because I was in the enclosure and he walked down the tunnel took a look and turned back to head for the relative warmth of the changing room). He absolutely ran that game and Dumbarton were deservedly winning 2-1 with 15 mins to go but Donnelly got injured, went off, and we scored 2 goals in the last few mins and won undeservedly 3-2.

But this is meant to be about Buckley so apologies and back to topic.

Could you not have expanded that and sent it to me for a future issue?

Sorry - me bad!

I have an irritating habit of doing this (I was mortified about the one goal wonder thread when I blurted out my favourite and I should have kept my mouth shut!). :blush: :blush:

I should, perhaps stick to ferries!! (although even there the self-appointed forum "know-alls" :police: have a pop at it being off topic) :no:

Sorry - me bad!

I have an irritating habit of doing this (I was mortified about the one goal wonder thread when I blurted out my favourite and I should have kept my mouth shut!). :blush: :blush:

I should, perhaps stick to ferries!! (although even there the self-appointed forum "know-alls" :police: have a pop at it being off topic) :no:

As I recall you were bang on the money with the “Xmas No.1” too! I further recall that I was really pleased to get your post as it re-assured me that I had made a good choice. ;)

John Donnelly was an excellent player but lazy as they come. Did in an interview with him for the programme a number of years when he was doing some coaching down in Dalmarnock.

A wee aside about him; in his final season as Thistle player he scored an own goal while playing against Dunfermline - a pass back to John Brough as I recall who wasn't where he should have been. He later that season signed for Dunfermline and while playing against Thistle scored another own goal.

John Donnelly was an excellent player but lazy as they come. Did in an interview with him for the programme a number of years when he was doing some coaching down in Dalmarnock.

A wee aside about him; in his final season as Thistle player he scored an own goal while playing against Dunfermline - a pass back to John Brough as I recall who wasn't where he should have been. He later that season signed for Dunfermline and while playing against Thistle scored another own goal.

Did he die very young, or am I mistaken?

Did he die very young, or am I mistaken?

Somebody else mentioned that about a year ago but I never read anything. Maybe got mistaken for John Craig who died suddenly at a pretty young age

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/players_profiles/D/DonnellyJ.php

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/john-craig-52-dies-on-holiday-1-1110309

Edited by Lindau

As I recall you were bang on the money with the “Xmas No.1” too! I further recall that I was really pleased to get your post as it re-assured me that I had made a good choice. ;)

Well I still think I was out of order for pre-empting what was an excellent Xmas countdown - so i hope I didn't ruin it for you or indeed any one else.

I was going to add a bit about that Dunfermline game and the pass-back own goal - only to be signed later that week (I seem to remember) by Dunfermline! But rather more amusing was an incident right at the end of the game when Donnelly easily beat the Dunfermline right back who then scythed him down - unfortunately for the Dunfermline number 2 (and I use that expression advisedly) Donnelly went up in the air and landed full-square on the now grounded fool-back. The impact from my vantage point was considerable and the damage done similarly so - however this cut little ice with the referee who, whilst the offending injured player was being gingerly assisted onto the stretcher, still saw fit to book him for his offence which led to his self-induced injury. We still lost but it cheered me up at the time.

Edited by JeanieD

I'm sure he scored a special goal in a 7-3 loss at Firhill v St Johnstone, it might have been a back heel. I think we were 3-2 up at half time iirc. I also remember we won the third game of that season against them by 6-2. The game at Perth was a draw, so it was a strange set of results