Beatts Is Back!

Lindau

You just mentioned three EPL sides - super rich clubs compared to us. I'me sure they can afford the best upkeep possible for thier pitches.

I only mentioned them as those are really the only teams from North of England that we see on the TV. I appreciate that they have vast sums to work with. I was wondering how expensive these were to maintain.We might just be assuming it is too dear. If the Warriers can afford it on crowds of 6,000 or so, why can't we.

The big development in pitch maintenance in the last decade has been the lights they now use to keep the grass growing faster. It means pitches recover quicker between games and it's especially useful in the winter. I worked down at St James Park during the Olympics and they had these lights dotted around the pitch 24/7.

Obviously clubs like us couldn't afford them but what about chipping in for a set with some other clubs and using them for a month at a time throughout the season?

I still don't think the standard of the plastic pitches can rival a really good grass surface. Saturday proved that.

Is St James Park along with Old Trafford, Annfield, White Hart lane amongst others not a hybrid pitch which is 70% grass and 30% synthetic.

Interestingly Ibrox and Easter Road apparently use this as well.

Not sure of costs involved but this might be way forward

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desso_GrassMaster

I think the SPFL could do worse than impose red blaize or ash pitches, and the old-style mouldmaster balls. At the top level. Let's sort the men out from the boys.

Ouch - still feel the pain from my BB days playing the likes of Dawsholm & Temple!