Championship

The Cup

I had a pub meal the other week and opted for the veggie burger but asked for bacon on it. Was that wrong?

if you said "can i have a veggie burger, but put bacon on it, instead of rabbit food, and swap the veggie burger to real meat", then no, that would not be wrong.

anything less, yes, very wrong.

You may be interested to know the Strathmore had its re-opening night last night. Looks pretty different. If your on PusBook search Strathmore for pics :)

Really pleased to hear this. I've noticed recently, as I've passed it on the way to Firhill, that the new owners (whoever they are) have retained one of the frosted glass windows with the big embossed Thistle in the middle. Hopefully this is an indication that they intend to keep up the tradition of it being a Jags pub.

Must go in for a pint next time I'm up. Crosslands is ok but a bit dour on match days. I'm a Strathy man at heart. It used to be so handy in the mid-70s for a pint when we were doggin it from NK. (Well under age, for the record)

You may well be thinking to yourselves "I wonder what the Jags score was around the time when jazz composer and saxophonist, Benny Golson was born"? Well on the 26th January 1929 (the day after his birth) we lost 0-2 away to Cowdenbeath.

By sheer coincidence the 86 year old Mr Golson was appearing in Glasgow last night. Brilliant raconteur that he is, he remains unaware of that result from Central Park. Or perhaps he was just being diplomatic?

Gutted to hear I missed that gig. Mr Golson is an absolute jazz giant. Probably my 2nd all time favourite tenor player, after the truly legendary Stan Getz.

Gutted to hear I missed that gig. Mr Golson is an absolute jazz giant. Probably my 2nd all time favourite tenor player, after the truly legendary Stan Getz.

Given his age I thought he'd struggle but that was not the case at all. He was playing, all his own compositions, with the SNJO/Tommy Smith and still stood out and that ain't easy.

btw I'd put Rollins just ahead of Getz but we're on the same wavelength.

Totally agree about Getz's Jazz Samba album: awesome, considering he virtually single-handedly popularised the link up between mainstream jazz and bossa nova. So many classics.

Regarding Rollins - outrageous technique and stamina; some of the stuff he performed al fresco at what looked like impromptu sessions were something to behold.

Coltrane is regarded as the doyen by many; great player as he undoubtedly was, I never quite took to this fusion / free form (structureless) style of jazz; ditto Miles Davis when he dabbled with it post-bebop. Around 80% of my jazz collection involves Getz, Art Pepper Chet Baker and Art Blakey with Golson and Lee Morgan.

I think we might be straying off the topic that The Cup was so keen to discuss in open forum.

I just hope this excellent thread doesn't degenerate into a pun fest...

You're right, AlgarveJag.

Went to Paesano in Miller Street on Tuesday. Small menu, music too loud for us oldies but pizzas were really good. One thing I hate though is the way restaurants put prices on menus as just a digit. You know, Pizza 8, Ice Cream 4, Beer 5. Perhaps it's an oldies thing again.

• Like 1

Totally agree about Getz's Jazz Samba album: awesome, considering he virtually single-handedly popularised the link up between mainstream jazz and bossa nova. So many classics.

Feel you've gotta give credit to the guitarist Charlie Byrd who turned Getz on to the whole bossa nova/samba stuff. "Jazz Samba" in truth a dual credit album.

Btw I sincerely believe that last Saturday the Girl from Ipanema would've been a more effective centre back than either Frans or Seaborne.

• Like 1