Spurs V Foxes ..... Penalty?

I was playing fives recently, the ball hit a team mate's arm accidentally from a yard away and the ref called the foul. I immediately shouted that it was accidental and the ref responded that didn't matter. The ref then missed a call on a throw in when the ball was a yard and a half off the pitch, so I wouldn't use his judgement to tell how the rule should be interpreted.

It is a tricky one for sure.... :thinking:

Danny Rose feigns to go inside the cuts for the bye line. Dyer is turned inside oot, but the ball hits his heel throwing it up in the air. Rose is almost past Dyer and shaping to try and control the ball with his chest and continue on his run. Dyer is stretching to try and keep up as he turns, the ball is close to his hand and it is knocked away from the attacking player's chest. The ball then strikes Rose's left hand, so in fairness to him, one might be sympathetic that his immediate call of foul play may be in part to plea his innocence.

I guess Dyer's defence is the ball struck his hand but his hand was thrown out for balance, naturally.

I guess Rose's claim is although he'd lost possession, he had the advantage and Dyer impeded him in regaining possession by moving the ball with his hand.

It's the flight of the ball that makes me say PENALTY!!! It makes a distinctive change from falling to the ground to sidey-ways. From the ref's position, he must've been blinded by Rose's body and made the decision reasoning that the change of direction took some effort by Dyer, and therefore "deliberate".

:smartass:

FOOOK ME .... this is better done in the pub... and when it's about the JAGS and we can either say with absolute certainty, " Stonewaller!!!!" or " That ref's a C*^T0!!!" ..... :drink:

anyhoo..... :getmecoat:

Even after 24 hours of being able to study the footage, there is no consensus. Shows what a waste of **** time video referees are.

Lets let the refs get on with it and get off their backs. I will bet that in every game, each player will make as many errors as the ref.

You'd put a time limit on a video ref and if it's not an obvious mistake you stick with the original decision. The video ref would be more useful for correcting bad offside decisions. Those are the ones that annoy me. Virtually every game you watch on TV the flag goes up and within seconds you know it was a wrong decision. Impossible for the linesman to be watching 2 places at the same time so understandable they get some wrong. We've got the technology so let's help them out.

It is virtually impossible for linesmen to watch 2 incidents at the same time to establish offside and must be the area where most mistakes are made.Re the "penalty" incident the ref or the linesman must "see" handball and cannot/should not assume that a ball changed direction by the use of a hand.Had that conversation with Hugh Dallas once and he said it was a problem.If he or his linesman didn't see a particular foul etc he wouldn't give it.

And while we're on the subject how can a player not be interfering with play if he's in the goalkeepers eyeline? Any goalies out there to give us their thoughts?

Never a penalty (or indeed a 'pen''-whatever that is) in a million years. When I was a lad (admittedly not exactly yesterday, unfortunately!) the rules were a lot less opaque a penalty was given for a deliberate infringement in the penalty area, youngsters note that there was no mention of contact or unnatural position etc.. To be fair to referees, I believe that many of the changes to the Laws of the Game have unduly complicated what is in essence a simple game.. Whilst I appreciate that some changes such as outlawing the tackle from behind have made the game safer: one cannot but think that much of the changes I.e penalties and offside have been driven by an English media without serious thought been given to their long term deletourous effect.

Yet I think many referees deicde to interpret the laws in their own way. For instance the latest version of offside allows a player in an offside position to be ignored if he is not attempting to influence play. Yet I've seen many times a forward in the 6-yard box, clearly in the goal keeper's vision - and facing the keeper, and of course in a blatant offside position - and yet when another players scores he is not given offside and the goal stands.

Any player in the penalty box, never mind the 6-yard area is surely trying to gain an advantage unless he is actually moving away from goal so I don't get this. And it isn't the rules it's a common referee interpretation of them. The other thing that bugs me: a player is clearly offside and chases a long ball that takes a while to catch. Surely the minute he starts chasing the ball he is attempting to gain an advantage and should be flagged off - but no, the linesman almost always waits till he catches the ball and then gives offside. Again this the rules don't tell the linesman to wait till the last minute, this is something match officials have decided should be the case.

Edited by Mr Bunny

LAW 12 - FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

• trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick).

Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

What's wrong with tackling an opponent? One of the most important skills in the game.

I was playing fives recently, the ball hit a team mate's arm accidentally from a yard away and the ref called the foul. I immediately shouted that it was accidental and the ref responded that didn't matter. The ref then missed a call on a throw in when the ball was a yard and a half off the pitch, so I wouldn't use his judgement to tell how the rule should be interpreted.

You have throw ins at fives?!?