Tommy O'hara

Jaggernaut

I'm pretty sure that I would know quite a bit about and have an opinion on just about every player who played for Thistle from about 1969 to 1983. Thereafter for the next decade or so it's the wilderness years. It was a time when we were no longer in the top division nor really looking likely to get there and the line of young talent being nurtured at the club was replaced by journeymen professionals signed on free transfers at the end of their careers.

I remember Tommy O'Hara was a decent but unexceptional player with Motherwell for a few seasons who then joined Thistle as an experienced pro. I can't actually remember if I saw him play for us - neither he nor the team at the time made much of an impact.

I must have been at most of those games but can't remember him. Like I mentioned, a truly forgetable era

I was in early teens then and think that was around the time of the all yellow "Mortons Rolls" strip where the left hand side often consisted of Tommy, Peter Shields and Ian Cochrane. Others from round the same season would have probably been Paul Donnelly, Alan Logan, Gordon Dalziel and Willie Herd.

I seem to recall a thumping from Cowdenbeath at Central Park (Skol Cup?) and another from Dumbarton at Boghead in a midweek game - without doubt one of the poorest teams in 35odd years I've been going but the "sausage supper" tale in the article probably explains a lot!!

Sad to hear of his untimely death but, unlike some others, I vividly remember Tommy O'Hara - if only for his bizarre debut. The scene was a pre-season friendly at Lesser Hampden and as the teams lined up for kick-off, Tommy ran to the touch line to throw the inhaler he had been using to someone in the dug-out!!!

To be honest, he was past his best when he came to us and looked as though he'd have been better keeping the inhaler close to hand as he ran out of puff on a regular basis!

Edited by CCjag