Guy Running Into The Box

jagfaelivi

Sad me watched a chunk of this Championship match last night and, late on, the challengers for a place in the Premier League brought on a wee guy who set up a scarcely deserved away win .

He got the ball and danced through the penalty area before poking it to a team mate who scored.

Now the question I'm asking is - what would Amoo or Lawless have done?

We all know that there would have been a weak cross into the box unless, of course, we hit the first man.

These two Thistle players have the ability to frighten the life out of defenders but do we get in the box? Silly question.

In the same way that we have talked of corners and free kicks elsewhere we should be loôking at this "running at" defenders, being far more direct tactic with the quality of both Lawless and Amoo and even Edwards.

And you don't get penalties if you don't get in the box and that answers why we've had one in the last three hundred years!!!

• Like 1

To be fair to Archie, he was on the back foot after the horrific start to the season, where I think most, including myself, thought we were doomed by the end of September. He tightened everything up and ground out results brilliantly, with the ultimate cost of the attacking edge that we have had over the other seasons Archie has been in charge. It's almost certain that if we had managed to keep Lyle Taylor this season, from the outset, I reckon we would have ended up 4th in the league at the split. That's a well worn record now, but I think we will see a big change in style next season with Erskine and Edwards as attacking midfielders. As much as I quite like Pogba, he has his limitations, namely that he doesn't score enough goals and we need someone who can back up Dools, who tends to have goal scoring runs then quiet periods.

To be fair to Archie, he was on the back foot after the horrific start to the season, where I think most, including myself, thought we were doomed by the end of September. He tightened everything up and ground out results brilliantly, with the ultimate cost of the attacking edge that we have had over the other seasons Archie has been in charge. It's almost certain that if we had managed to keep Lyle Taylor this season, from the outset, I reckon we would have ended up 4th in the league at the split. That's a well worn record now, but I think we will see a big change in style next season with Erskine and Edwards as attacking midfielders. As much as I quite like Pogba, he has his limitations, namely that he doesn't score enough goals and we need someone who can back up Dools, who tends to have goal scoring runs then quiet periods.

Doolan does go through quiet spells but I struggle to think of many chances that Doolan has missed this season. In general, if Doolan isn't scoring, the chances haven't been created for him to score. Often Doolan creates his own chances with a good touch/piece of footwork or nice turn, something Pogba doesn't offer. Like Doolan, I can't think of many chances Pogba has missed, he's just poorer at creating his own chances & then taking them.

• Like 1

Doolan does go through quiet spells but I struggle to think of many chances that Doolan has missed this season. In general, if Doolan isn't scoring, the chances haven't been created for him to score. Often Doolan creates his own chances with a good touch/piece of footwork or nice turn, something Pogba doesn't offer. Like Doolan, I can't think of many chances Pogba has missed, he's just poorer at creating his own chances & then taking them.

Every striker goes through poor spells, but Archie doesn't let strikers get a run of games going to maintain their sharpness Saturday being the perfect example , Doolan scores the winner against Dundee Utd , his confidence should be sky high then finds himself on the bench replaced by a 2 goal a season striker who IMO couldn't lace his boots. The reason Pogba doesn't score enough is absolutely his lack of movement to get into goal scoring positions and to be honest I'm not so sure that's going to change any time soon.

Sad me watched a chunk of this Championship match last night and, late on, the challengers for a place in the Premier League brought on a wee guy who set up a scarcely deserved away win .

He got the ball and danced through the penalty area before poking it to a team mate who scored.

Now the question I'm asking is - what would Amoo or Lawless have done?

We all know that there would have been a weak cross into the box unless, of course, we hit the first man.

These two Thistle players have the ability to frighten the life out of defenders but do we get in the box? Silly question.

In the same way that we have talked of corners and free kicks elsewhere we should be loôking at this "running at" defenders, being far more direct tactic with the quality of both Lawless and Amoo and even Edwards.

And you don't get penalties if you don't get in the box and that answers why we've had one in the last three hundred years!!!

I hope you have researched all the games this wee guy has played to find out just how often he goes direct. I seem to remember Amoo being direct and scoring vs St Johnstone and also vs United(although he didn't score on that occasion).

I get your point though