Just In - Same Old Story

clarencegarter

Well you could see that coming a mile off! Again we let a team who hardly threatened us all game escape firhill with a point and in the end we were very fortunate it was just a point. I know being a thistle fan is usually always heartbreak but this is just torture.

For all the possesion we had we created absolutely nothing. Fox didn't have a save to make all game apart from the penalty. Every single ball into the box either never made it past the first man or any where near a thistle player. We must have had over 10 corners and didn't threaten there goal once with any of them. We didn't win the penalty picking up the second ball from a corner after a rash challenge by there player right enough.

Scully - solid with not much to do. Great save at the end to get a draw

Barton - won everything in the air and calm and composed on the ball

Lindsay - done all the defensive stuff right though his distribution was very poor. Hope the big mans ok!

Devine - decent enough performance

Elliot - good going forward but every ball into the box never got past the first man.

Booth - played ok but still doesn't look anywhere near where he was last time

Welsh - played well first half and took his penalty well. Anonymous second half and scared of any sort of tackle

Edwards - ran about and hassled the opposition but first touch and last 10 mins were poor

Osman - solid enough

Azeez - won most of the 50/50 and put their defence under pressure but doesn't ever look like scoring a goal

Doolan - the less said about him the better. Absolute shocker today. Nothing went for him and seemed a yard behind everyone else on the pitch

Gordon - thought he stood off his man for the goal. Should never have been playing left centre half

Amoo - ran about but nothing much else

Thought when Lindsay went off injured Archie should have moved back to our usual formation, putting gordon at right back and moving Elliot forward a bit.

Created absolutely nothing bar the penalty and fox didn't have a save to make. For all we should have won the game county had the 3 best chances only scoring one of them when it was probably easier to score all three.

I have no idea when we will ever win a game let alone keep a clean sheet. Archie needs to sort it out but we have been saying this for weeks now. Same old story!

• Like 1

Our creativity in the last third is virtually non existent. Just think of the number of times any move peters out when we try the Hollywood ball, fail with it (100% of the time) and the ball goes out for a throw or runs through the channels for a goal kick. The other thing is the aimless cross that either hits the first defender or goes over the head of everybody. And can you imagine a team which does less with set plays? Corners - dire! Free kicks? Think of the one late on that Booth took and fired over the bar when holding the ball was the better thing to be doing.

And don''t get me started on the "quality" of the shooting.... Have you ever seen anything like us? There were have a dozen efforts that went at least five feet over the bar.

Hurry back Mr Erskine our only hope! And a breath of fresh air.

We can't rely on one player - they all need to chip in and do their bit.

After the first half dozen corners, it was obvious to everyone in the stadium (except the 2 in the dugout) that Welsh should not take any more. Why wasn't someone else told to take them?

Totally agree. Just wish we could bring on young James Penrice for all the set pieces. Other than that I thought Welsh played well yesterday

The other thing is the aimless cross that either hits the first defender or goes over the head of everybody. And can you imagine a team which does less with set plays? Corners - dire!

The low driven cross which goes directly to the first opposition defender at the near post EVERY TIME is doing my nut in.

Where is the midfield coming in at the edge of the box for the cutback. There's goals there to be had if someone can make the late run and our wide men dont hit the same inefectual cross every bleedin time. The managment should watch some Albert Craig videos.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 1

The low driven cross which goes directly to the first opposition defender at the near post EVERY TIME is doing my nut in.

Where is the midfield coming in at the edge of the box for the cutback. There's goals there to be had if someone can make the late run and our wide men dont hit the same inefectual cross every bleedin time. The managment should watch some Albert Craig videos.

Agree with this.

Booth puts in some excellent balls and nobody ever makes runs to the near post for him. Elliott likewise yesterday.

We have to be smarter when we open up the opposition defence on the wings.

Think we really missed Erskine who does have the ability to create things in the middle. Amoo can cross the ball well but doesn't seem to be getting much game time at the moment. I think in the short time he was on yesterday he put in the one decent cross from us (unfortunately it was Edwards and not Azeez or Elliot at the far post). Hopefully Erskine will be back v Dundee: If we play the same system I'd have him in instead of Doolan beside Azeez. I'd like to see Amoo play too but don't know if he can do the wingback job effectively. If we go back to our usual system then the three behind Azeez should be: Amoo, Erskine and Elliot (so that Erskine can have a freer role and be more able to support Azeez), behind them Edwards and Osman and assuming Lindsay isn't fit, Booth, Barton, Devine and Gordon.

Late news: I see Dundee got beat. I really hope we don't throw points away against them.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Totally agree. Just wish we could bring on young James Penrice for all the set pieces. Other than that I thought Welsh played well yesterday

Agreed. I've not seen him that far forward in the opposition half so often - Abdul as well. Loved them squabbling over who was taking a free kick.

Playing 3 at the back with Barton in the centre seemed to work well until the injury to Lindsay, and assuming he recovers quickly, should stand us well. I think of greater concern was the complete lack of any attacking nous - I saw no shots on target yesterday from open play. Unless we start scoring more goals, the evident lack of confidence among defenders will continue to result in lying deeper and deeper at the end of games and the shipping of more late goals. The source of our problems lie in the attack not the defence.

Looking at the game yesterday, we seemed to throw a lot of balls forward that were well suited to the County defence. They had a couple of hulking players who didn't look that fast, fit or agile but were happy to eat up high punted balls all day long.

If we had sat a bit deeper and played low fast balls up the park, we could have out paced them?

It's not all bad and we do have many injuries, think we could do with a couple of hard cases in the team, to help protect our more creative players, we are (IMO) a bit of a powder puff team.

Edited by AndyMac