Blackpool's New East Stand

kni

Aye right. As if £15 to have a Union Jack flag flapping about in your face on Saturday wasn't bad enough. No wonder the general populace will sit at home in front of Sky every Saturday instead; and at least they have the chance of watching 'world-class' footballers every week.

Edited by Craig-W

It's only been put there to accommodate the away fans, and EPL rules requiring 4-sided stadia.

Apparently it housed a fair number of Blackpool fans on Saturday as well as the Fulham faithful (shame about their nickname), and, in essence, is only a flatpack effort having taken around three weeks to erect.

Down this way there's more speculation around Karl Oyston's decision to resign "with immediate effect as Chairman and club director". KO moved swiftly into the position as club Chief Exec though, doing nothing to dampen rumours of his own impending bankruptcy. "Father, Owen Oyston, remains the club's biggest shareholder".

It's only been put there to accommodate the away fans, and EPL rules requiring 4-sided stadia.

Apparently it housed a fair number of Blackpool fans on Saturday as well as the Fulham faithful (shame about their nickname), and, in essence, is only a flatpack effort having taken around three weeks to erect.

Down this way there's more speculation around Karl Oyston's decision to resign "with immediate effect as Chairman and club director". KO moved swiftly into the position as club Chief Exec though, doing nothing to dampen rumours of his own impending bankruptcy. "Father, Owen Oyston, remains the club's biggest shareholder".

Pity they could only manage a temporary stand over the summer, as it looks silly and out of place.

It's a shame, because I think that the rest of Bloomfield Road actually looks like a very smart stadium.

Sounds like it has a good atmosphere too.

Edited by The Terminator

Pity they could only manage a temporary stand over the summer, as it looks silly and out of place.

It's a shame, because I think that the rest of Bloomfield Road actually looks like a very smart stadium.

Sounds like it has a good atmosphere too.

Agreed. The problem they have is that in order to make the temporary stand more substantial (ie like the rest of the ground), they would have to acquire virtually all the properties on the adjacent street, plus what was the workingmens club on Bloomfield Road. This would allow them the space to construct something more than the present meccano effort.

Having said all that, the controlling Oystons are successful estate agents by trade and are well renowned for their ruthlessness in the property markets. If they'd had any involvement in our propco fiasco they would've immediately made our BoD 'investors' look like bleeding heart philanthropists. Merciless acquisitioners that they are, they'd apparently never seriously considered life in the EPL. In fact, Ian Holloway was on a bonus to avoid relegation last term, such were the low ambitions of the Oystons for the club. They're also shrewd enough to have most of the player investment responsibility shifted onto Latvian co-director and chairperson of the board of the Baltic International Bank, Valery Belokon.

No flies on those buggers.

The pictures suggest that they is considerable space between the front of the stand and the pitch. There would be room to be build a reasonable sized permanent stand. It could be joined up to the north and south stands to maximise capacity.

What a poor and cheapskate effort! Blackpool will have the benefit of parachute payments if they are regulated. Holloway's playing budget is minimal compared to other teams that have been promoted. He has been reduced to bringing in players from the lower divisions. I am not surprised that he nearly resigned recently.

The pictures suggest that they is considerable space between the front of the stand and the pitch. There would be room to be build a reasonable sized permanent stand. It could be joined up to the north and south stands to maximise capacity.

What a poor and cheapskate effort! Blackpool will have the benefit of parachute payments if they are regulated. Holloway's playing budget is minimal compared to other teams that have been promoted. He has been reduced to bringing in players from the lower divisions. I am not surprised that he nearly resigned recently.

Precisely the feelings of the Blackpool fans that I know well. Some parallels with us there it seems, albeit on a different level.

Precisely the feelings of the Blackpool fans that I know well. Some parallels with us there it seems, albeit on a different level.

Very similar. I suspect that the Oystons want to pocket the extra gate money and take the stand down if Blackpool are relegated. The contrast with the likes of Stoke (who invested in a new stadium and have backed Tony Pulis with decent money) is startling.

BTW, substitute "relegated" for "regulated" in my earlier post above.

I think they did no bad at all

check out the old stand before demolition on June 9th (4th picture down)

http://www.liveinblackpool.co.uk/fl4kdk0ybp3oyv8/index.php?PHPSESSID=f2b275869e85d7a4c02dff4866e07784&topic=550.0

... to get the new stand and offices and boxes up and running in 10 weeks is good going (they were required under EPL rules to have a 4-sided ground ... sound familiar in the jags 10k seats and undersoil heating way?!!)