Part Time?

lady-isobel-barnett

"You carry on firstly because of a love of the club, but also because of a sense of responsibility,"

"Supporters sometimes tell us we should step aside; there isn't a queue of people looking to invest in football clubs"

Fair enough Mr Cowan, such an easy one liner to hide behind, we all know there is not a queue of investors but you have to question what the definition of responsibility is after you've repeatedly made a Noel Hunt of things.

"That is with the exception of those who have directors or benefactors who have the funds to keep the clubs going. Look at Raith Rovers, who are deservedly sitting at the top of the league just now. I think they have only nine full-time players, with the rest part-time."

That's just not true now.

Allan Cowan not speaking the truth shock horror gasp.

There's a first. Not.

If we go part time, we will die as a club.

I could not go back to watching the rubbish we were served up last time we were in Div 2.

Shame on you Cowan and your fellow collaborators. You should collectively hang your heads in shame as you are the ones responsible for the state that we are in. Dwindling crowds are a direct result of the BoD's erosion of any meaningful relationship with the supporters.

We better get used to flirting between the 2nd and 3rd divisions in front of 500 (if you are lucky) fans.

Dwindling crowds are a direct result of the BoD's erosion of any meaningful relationship with the supporters.

Nonsense. The running theme on this forum and previous ones of everything being the BODs' fault is boring. The reason people don't go to Firhill anymore is lack of success, and worse in my opinion, lack of entertainment, It's not rocket science, is it? Bad signings, bad tactics and bad luck are hardly the BODs' fault.

Nonsense. The running theme on this forum and previous ones of everything being the BODs' fault is boring. The reason people don't go to Firhill anymore is lack of success, and worse in my opinion, lack of entertainment, It's not rocket science, is it? Bad signings, bad tactics and bad luck are hardly the BODs' fault.

If you can't see the correlation between these things and the BoD then that's frankly bizzare.

PArtly right I'd say. I'd add in the cost (although our BOD's have doen more than most in this respect) and the general apathy in Scotland for football.

If you can't see the correlation between these things and the BoD then that's frankly bizzare.

I'm happy for you to explain your thinking Craig. Let me start you with a couple of questions. Once the budget is set (the responsibility of the board) WHO chooses how to spend it? Who chooses the team? Who chooses the tactics?

My point in case you're missing it is that, hard to believe, we may not be the only club in the UK with a crap board.

I was in Glasgow last week but chose not to go to Cowdenbeath because I didn't think I'd be entertained. I think I was right. 1st time in 46 years I can remember choosing NOT to go to a Thistle game when I could have.

That's not the Boards fault.IMHO.

I'm happy for you to explain your thinking Craig. Let me start you with a couple of questions. Once the budget is set (the responsibility of the board) WHO chooses how to spend it? Who chooses the team? Who chooses the tactics? My point in case you're missing it is that, hard to believe, we may not be the only club in the UK with a crap board. I was in Glasgow last week but chose not to go to Cowdenbeath because I didn't think I'd be entertained. I think I was right. 1st time in 46 years I can remember choosing NOT to go to a Thistle game when I could have.That's not the Boards fault.IMHO.

You said bad signings, bad luck and bad tactics are hardly the fault of the board. Funnily enough, with a more effective board the chances of good signings, players good enough to adopt the managers tactics and good luck tend to increase rapidly. I was just surprised at yuor statement that you failed to see that these are clearly inextricably linked.

You said bad signings, bad luck and bad tactics are hardly the fault of the board. Funnily enough, with a more effective board the chances of good signings, players good enough to adopt the managers tactics and good luck tend to increase rapidly. I was just surprised at yuor statement that you failed to see that these are clearly inextricably linked.

Furthermore, look at the way the BoD treat people who have given up their time in hepling and promoting the club (the 800 club guys, Campbell Hughes, Lianne from ptfc.net, the 1876 club / centenary fund debacle, even the way they are currently treating the trust with regard to the trust board rep) I'm sure there are many others out there.

The only positive I've seen from the BoD in the last 2 years has been Jim Alexander.

This is no surprise. There is no way that full-time football is sustainable with our debts and crowds of under 3,000.

Dick Campbell had a large squad and wasted a lot of money on duds. McCall has signed more than his fair share of duds too. The board gave them support but they (with the exception of McCall's, rather lucky, second place two years ago) failed to deliver. I suspect that the bank is taking a tough line on the overdraft and finances in general.

Cowan does make a fair point about the club achieving success with part-timers, e.g. the likes of Coulston in the 1971 squad. There could be some good players who can't afford to play full-time football and have chosen other, better paid, careers. I am sure that Gerry Britton could have played to a high standard whilst practising as a lawyer.

Frankly, we have a stark choice - part-time survival or bankruptcy.

Mixture of full time and part time would be the best start rather than just changing right over. Thing that confuses me is that he says part timers get paid almost as much as full timers anyway so whats the difference to finances ?

I suspect he means the combination of the players main job plus anything he earns from football as a part timer adds up to just as much as if he was a full time footballer. In essence its cheaper because the club only pay the part time element.

Reality Bites

We are going into to hybrid ft/pt set up from next season and we wont be the only club in the 1st dvision to do so.

If we want to survive and break even we must cut cost the biggest being the playing budget

It might also help the lazier players get their collective fingers out to ensure they are the players on the f/t deals next.

There too many f/t clubs in Scottish football and if we dont go p/t then we wont exist anymore

If we go part time, we will die as a club.

I could not go back to watching the rubbish we were served up last time we were in Div 2.

We have had plenty of decent part-time players in the past, including when we were recently in Division 2. You wouldn't have signed Martin Hardie, David McCallum or Scott McCulloch because they were part-time?

Full-time football is not sustainable at Thistle just now. If we have to go a mix of full-time players, say 10 of them, and the rest part-time players I would be fine with that. We can't keep on going the way we are, or we will die as a club. Having some part-time players may be the only way to survive.

Reality Bites

We are going into to hybrid ft/pt set up from next season and we wont be the only club in the 1st dvision to do so.

If we want to survive and break even we must cut cost the biggest being the playing budget

It might also help the lazier players get their collective fingers out to ensure they are the players on the f/t deals next.

There too many f/t clubs in Scottish football and if we dont go p/t then we wont exist anymore

Who are these other clubs you speak of who are going to downgrade like us?

Furthermore, look at the way the BoD treat people who have given up their time in hepling and promoting the club (the 800 club guys, Campbell Hughes, Lianne from ptfc.net, the 1876 club / centenary fund debacle, even the way they are currently treating the trust with regard to the trust board rep) I'm sure there are many others out there.

The only positive I've seen from the BoD in the last 2 years has been Jim Alexander.

This is very true but I'm also sure that were David Beattie allowed to run the show and the comedy duo we have at present things would be very different for the club and we might actually resemble a professionally run business instead of the pish we get serve up under the current guise.

If Cowan cares that much about the club he would realise that him stepping aside and allowing someone else a shot at the Chairman's position might make a big difference.

Who are these other clubs you speak of who are going to downgrade like us?

You already have 2 in Cowdenbeath and Stirling, Raith are mainly fulltime , there is no way QOS are going to remain ft (remember brannigans rant at the board over players on the eve of the season)

Dundee/Falkirk/Dunfermline can remain FT because they have the crowds to support it

Morton are backed by a Sugar Daddy, Ross County seem to be able to do it.

Its unrealistic to maintain Ft Clubs outwith the SPL for a prolonged period, eventually you have to shift to ft/pt basis to enable you to survive. Look at Clyde/Airdrie once f/t now part time , Livi are a mixture and nobody else out there is f/t