Spfl Board - Ian Maxwell

ClydebankJag

STV reporting on the SPFL board elections state that Ian Maxwell has stood down from his place on the board. He hasn't been on there long, does anyone know why he's stepped down?

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1393880-spfl-board-could-face-major-shake-up-in-2017-18-election/

Says at the bottom he'll be on the "Professional Game Board" (whatever that is) so presumably he can't be on both or its too time consuming to do both.

Not sure what all this means.

I would like to see any PTFC representative, whoever he or she is, taking an active stance against financial doping, including retrospective action. If Ian/PTFC adopt an attitude of "past is past and things be different going forward" then I couldn't give a **** whether or not we have representation at SFA level. Wishing Ian no harm whatsoever but if the status quo is maintained then in fact I might prefer we were more distanced from such a biased and corrupt body.

• Like 6

Completely agree. I'm disappointed that Thistle haven't come out publicly against financial doping and in favour of retrospective action. If we don't condemn it, we would appear to condone it and as as Thistle fan, I certainly don't. This is not an anti-Rangers thing, it is purely and simply about fairness and sporting integrity. Titles won unfairly must be stripped.

This Aberdeen fan sums it up nicely.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesSimpson35/status/885964025753985024?s=09

• Like 3

Completely agree. I'm disappointed that Thistle haven't come out publicly against financial doping and in favour of retrospective action. If we don't condemn it, we would appear to condone it and as as Thistle fan, I certainly don't. This is not an anti-Rangers thing, it is purely and simply about fairness and sporting integrity. Titles won unfairly must be stripped.

This Aberdeen fan sums it up nicely.

https://mobile.twitt...5753985024?s=09

Thing is, there were moves by the SPL to introduce some kind of financial fair play rules - at a time when Rangers were in the lower leagues and superficially it looked like the new version was financially sound (i.e. when Green was still a great guy and hadn't ripped them off of c. 20 million) but such things are slow moving so by the time the Newco club was nearing reaching the top league it became obvious that it all wasn't as well with the new club as it should have been. Then lo and behold talk of FFP disappeared from the agenda as of course any serious system would be damaging to a club that is living on loans, has no credit with any bank and is spending beyond its means.

As for revisiting the Nimmo Smith result (a stitch up if ever there was) - there's no need. Rangers (as was) filed deliberately wrong registrations for several players over a number of years. Nimmo Smith said that was due a relatively small fine despite many other clubs being thrown out of competitions or docked points because of far smaller (and NOT DELIBERATE) improper registrations. Fix as the NS judgement was, it will still give them the excuse not to do anything and they will stonewall forever hoping the fans just get fed up and shut up about it.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Sorry Mr Bunny, the authorities can't be allowed to hide behind the Lord Nimmo Smith result. There is every need for it to be set aside.

Rangers filed deliberate wrong registrations for more than 50 players over nearly a decade. They deliberately lied about this to HMRC to avoid paying tax and in doing so defrauded you, me any every other taxpayer in the country. As Sir David Murray recently admitted under oath in court, this allowed them to sign better players than they could otherwise afford. Lord Nimmo Smith found that Rangers gained no unfair sporting advantage because their use of the EBT scheme was legal and open to all clubs to use. With the Supreme Court having now made its judgement, this central plank of Nimmo Smith's findings is completely undermined.

Titles unfairly won must be stripped.

• Like 4

Tend to agree with DenisOhDenis's post but not quite what I was getting at.

I'm still unaware of exactly what Maxie's post entails within the SFA so with that ignorance I can't be critical of him accepting/seeking the post. My main concern is more from a guilt by association aspect. I don't subscribe to the inside of the tent pissing out argument if once inside the tent you do nothing to assist correcting the past.

This should be a real plus for PTFC. Let's hope so.

Sorry Mr Bunny, the authorities can't be allowed to hide behind the Lord Nimmo Smith result. There is every need for it to be set aside. Rangers filed deliberate wrong registrations for more than 50 players over nearly a decade. They deliberately lied about this to HMRC to avoid paying tax and in doing so defrauded you, me any every other taxpayer in the country. As Sir David Murray recently admitted under oath in court, this allowed them to sign better players than they could otherwise afford. Lord Nimmo Smith found that Rangers gained no unfair sporting advantage because their use of the EBT scheme was legal and open to all clubs to use. With the Supreme Court having now made its judgement, this central plank of Nimmo Smith's findings is completely undermined. Titles unfairly won must be stripped.

Never said I was OK with it - just that they will use the feeble excuse that there was some sort of (very minor) punishment to stonewall and do nothing. There are too many fans who don't really care enough for us to be able to force their hand. Don't see what we can do (except maybe organise a team to constantly update the Rangers Wiki to show how they cheated and shouldn't have many of the titles they claim).

Without question, they should be shorn of their titles: they cheated, they should be appositely punished. The end.

Not exactly on topic, I know, but who could possibly want or aspire to be on that committee who have been so vociferous in promising to take a brutally hard line on sectarian behaviour at matches, yet week on week, year on year, turn a deefie at the vile chanting by the trogs of sevco (particularly) and sellick?

Until both sets of primitive spear-wielding hunter gatherers are actually dealt with suitably, the SFA to me will be nothing more than an object of ridicule, and one with the spine of a bashful garden slug.

Edited by Blackpool Jags
  • Like 2

I hope I didn't come across as having a go at you Mr Bunny - apologies if I did.

You are right that many fans don't really care. IMHO this is often because they are either unaware of the true scale of the financial doping (i.e. cheating) or they do not see that it directly affected their own club. Well, if like me you were at Hampden in 2002 and saw us get pumped by by a team full of tax-dodging EBT beneficiaries then you paid good money to watch Thistle play in a rigged competition and be cheated out of a Scottish Cup final and the associated prize money. Hell, we might even have won the thing.

There are some easily-found online petitions that have recently set up following the SC judgement. Anyone who wants to show the football authorities that it won't be allowed to be brushed under the carpet can sign these. There is also the old fashioned route of sending a letter or email to the club, and I suspect Ian M would quickly get the message.

In the end, it's all about fairness and sporting integrity. Titles unfairly won must be stripped.