Joaquim Ferraz

The Jukebox Rebel

20z2qfp.jpg

So, trying to nail down the unidentified trialists from down the years. Have had some success by discovering that 6' 5 striker Joaquim Ferraz (our only known Portuguese-born player) took the no.9 role in a nil nil draw against Sheffield Wednesday on Wednesday, 20th July, 2005.

We can definitely rule out the big guy from the following Hamilton game:

PARTICK THISTLE have dropped their interest in Portuguese striker Joaquim Ferraz. The 31-year-old former Dundee United frontman played in the midweek friendly against Sheffield Wednesday but Jags boss Dick Campbell has decided against giving him a further chance to impress.” ~ Daily Record, Saturday, 23rd July, 2005

But does anyone know if he played in the preceding Brechin game?

I currently have THREE unidentified trialists in this game. Perhaps Ferraz was at number 8? I wonder if Tommy T was up at Glebe Park taking snaps that day?

Saturday, 16th July, 2005, line-up for the 4-0 friendly defeat away to Brechin City:

no. 01 Neil Bennett

no. 02 Trialist

no. 03 Will Snowdon

no. 04 Grant Murray

no. 05 Trialist

no. 06 Darren Brady

no. 07 Ricky Gillies

no. 08 Trialist

no. 09 Stephen McConalogue

no. 10 John McGoldrick

no. 11 Stevie Nicholas

no. 12 Kenny Arthur

no. 13 Kenny Haswell

no. 14 Paul Cassidy

no. 15 Ian Cameron [ii]

no. 16 Andy S. Gibson

no. 17 Adam Strachan

no. 18 Mark Stewart

Substitutions:

Neil Bennett (Kenny Arthur, HT); Stephen McConalogue (Andy S. Gibson, 53 mins); John McGoldrick (Adam Strachan, 61 mins); Trialist (Kenny Haswell, 72 mins); Ricky Gillies (Ian Cameron [ii], 83 mins); Trialist (Paul Cassidy, 83 mins); Stevie Nicholas (Mark Stewart, 83 mins)

For the Brechin game, Stu has this photie at the Archive:

23m0g79.jpg

Is that Boab McCulloch in the background shot? He could well be our no.5 trialist that day.

PARTICK THISTLE boss Dick Campbell hopes to land experienced defender Scott McCulloch after injury forced George Rowe to quit the game. Talks have taken place between the Firhill outfit and McCulloch's club, Ayr United. The 29-year-old former Dunfermline and Dundee United man, who played under Campbell at Brechin, could sign this morning. Meanwhile, Partick midfielder Billy Gibson faces up to a month on the sidelines. He suffered ankle ligament damage in Tuesday's friendly against Buckie Thistle. Derek Fleming and Marc Smyth, who were taken off during Thursday's 2-1 defeat against Deveronvale, miss today's game at Brechin.” ~ Daily Record, Saturday, 16th July, 2005

Pretty good shooting Sandy...

Sean Kilgannon is a strong possibility. I currently have him down as having made his debut appearance on the aforementioned Wednesday, 20th July game at home to the Owls.

I have Marko's debut down as Saturday, 20th August, 2005, in a 3-2 win at home to Dumbarton in the SFL Second Division.

I have David Craig's rebirth being Saturday, 17th September, 2005, in a 2-2 draw away to Gretna in the SFL Second Division. He signed late in August.

Right back trialist that day i am sure was Willie Lyle

:thumbsup2:

This from the Sunday Herald:

"A deep cross was headed out by Thistle trialist Willie Lyle straight to Stuart Callaghan, whose fierce volley from the edge of the area gave Neil Bennett no chance."

Unfortunately, I can't read much more of the report as it's behind the Highbeam Research paywall. I once subscribed for a few months (quite expensive too) and they kept charging me on a recurring basis despite me cancelling. I'm no' going near the bandits again.

Anyway, thanks very much Pinhead.

1 down, 2 to go.

Jorge Cadete once promised to pay as a trial list, IIRC, but only wanted a free lift and went AWOL as soon as the team bus landed in Portugal during the Whyte/Britton era.

Recently spotted swimming with wild boar on the summer beaches of Portugal.

...Not much help I know, I'll get my coat...

http://portugalresident.com/wild-boars-join-bathers-for-swim-in-the-sea-in-arrábida

• Like 1

We have a trialist in goal tonight for the development squad.Any ideas who he is ?

He looked good. Didn't have any exceptional saves but not at fault with the goals (one was a penalty anyway). Impressed with his kicking. Not sure if the lad was just filling in for Sneddon. Perhaps Archie didn't want to risk Sneddon getting injured with Cerny injured?