Jags Myth No777 Finally Quashed

Lindau

• 2 weeks later...

I know that various celebrity (non) fans of Thistle have been listed in the past, but here's one that I didn't know about: the former "Bing Hitler", Craig Ferguson.

According to his Wiki page: "Ferguson is also a fan of Scottish football team Partick Thistle F.C."

Is this another piece of garbage?

I know that various celebrity (non) fans of Thistle have been listed in the past, but here's one that I didn't know about: the former "Bing Hitler", Craig Ferguson.

According to his Wiki page: "Ferguson is also a fan of Scottish football team Partick Thistle F.C."

Is this another piece of garbage?

No it's not. There's a you tube clip of him talking about it to Anthony LaPaglia.

Hmm, sounds like his guest knew much more about the ICT SPL affair than Ferguson did.

Anybody ever see him at a match before he jumped ship?

Aye, I saw him enter the Thistle end at Douglas Park. I've got a feeling (after consulting The Official History) it was the 4-1 game from '89/'90 - I remember it was near the start of the season and I'm pretty certain Thistle won so this ties in.

Hmm, sounds like his guest knew much more about the ICT SPL affair than Ferguson did.

Anybody ever see him at a match before he jumped ship?

Aye used to see him in the Shed a fair bit.

Wonder if someone could drop a note to him to see if he wants to buy us since he will be minted :D

Aye used to see him in the Shed a fair bit.

Wonder if someone could drop a note to him to see if he wants to buy us since he will be minted :D

I can back this up. I remember seeing him in the Shed more than once. I'm pretty sure he's a genuine fan, even if he's not been in a while.

Do you remember ITN newsreader Alasdair Burnett? I remember one night in particular. He was reading out midweek scores. He read out, I think it was Meadowbank Thistle's result, then when it came to us, instead of Partick Thistle, he said "THE Thistle!". It's well reported that he was a Jags fan from time spent in Glasgow as a reporter, and made no secret of that when reading our scores out.

Edited by beep0608

I can back this up. I remember seeing him in the Shed more than once. I'm pretty sure he's a genuine fan, even if he's not been in a while.

Do you remember ITN newsreader Alasdair Burnett? I remember one night in particular. He was reading out midweek scores. He read out, I think it was Meadowbank Thistle's result, then when it came to us, instead of Partick Thistle, he said "THE Thistle!". It's well reported that he was a Jags fan from time spent in Glasgow as a reporter, and made no secret of that when reading our scores out.

IIRC he also won the 800 Club draw several years ago.

Good point, I remember a mate at work telling me that Alasdair Burnett announced the score of a cup tie at Love St with the memorable opener of:"And now for the one we've all been waiting for!" I was at the game but can't recall the score; but we won. This apparently came after he'd read out English 1st division scores as well as the OF (remember this was way back when). I can also remember that he once won the monthly draw - the one you used to win a grand or pre-match hospitality. His name was read out and the shed burst out laughing. (Thrown that in as I remember winning both - the latter is still a blur and me and my mate didn't even make the tour of the trophy room. I mean, how often are you presented with freebie champers before a game!! Happy daze... :blush: )

I've mentioned this a few times now but have the Jags Trust approached some of our higher profile Jags fans and got them to sign up? They could even be given honorary memberships in return for being able to use them for a bit of marketing to try and gee up the support and get some new members.

I can just see the posters up in the JH now, Craig Ferguson holding his JT card with pride saying 'I've boned Sharon Stone but nothing compares to being a member of the Jags Trust'

Edited by Vom Itorium