Celtic Fan Holding A Grudge

macca

Talking to a Celtic supporter today and after the usual small talk over why i support Thistle,did i know this person and the like,I happened to mention that although my dad took my brother and i for years as kids to the games our support lapsed slightly until the Save the Jags campaign and since then have been going almost every week Home and Away.At which point he astonished me by saying he wouldn`t shed a tear if we went bust,due to Thistle trying to get the Tri-colour removed from Parkhead and he still held a grudge.I had no idea what he was talking about can anyone shed some light ?

I assume he is referring to the attempt by the SFA in 1952 to ban to Irish flag from Celtic Park after trouble during the traditional New Year derby fixture. What it has to do with us I don't know. The move was orchestrated by George Graham (later to become Sir George Graham) who was the secretary of the SFA at the time and looking to make a name for himself. The acting SFA chairman at the time was Harry Swan who was the chairman of Hibs and he was also involved in the attempt to ban the flag. It's been suggested by many Celtic fans that Swan was a bigot who hated all things Irish which is the most stupid thing I've ever heard considering his best friend was an Irish priest and he commissioned an Irish harp at excessive cost to be built to be placed in the main reception to Easter Road after rebuilding works had meant the previous emblem on the stand had been damaged.

Rangers at the time backed Celtic so using his logic he wouldn't want them to go bust since they helped Celtic's cause. :blink: I'd imagine that as a member of the SFA we would have had a vote in the matter but I've never seen it suggested anywhere that Thistle were either in favour or against the ban.

I can only therefore conclude you've been talking to a complete numpty, not that any of that was required to come to such a conclusion.

I assume he is referring to the attempt by the SFA in 1952 to ban to Irish flag from Celtic Park after trouble during the traditional New Year derby fixture. What it has to do with us I don't know. The move was orchestrated by George Graham (later to become Sir George Graham) who was the secretary of the SFA at the time and looking to make a name for himself. The acting SFA chairman at the time was Harry Swan who was the chairman of Hibs and he was also involved in the attempt to ban the flag. It's been suggested by many Celtic fans that Swan was a bigot who hated all things Irish which is the most stupid thing I've ever heard considering his best friend was an Irish priest and he commissioned an Irish harp at excessive cost to be built to be placed in the main reception to Easter Road after rebuilding works had meant the previous emblem on the stand had been damaged.

Rangers at the time backed Celtic so using his logic he wouldn't want them to go bust since they helped Celtic's cause. :blink: I'd imagine that as a member of the SFA we would have had a vote in the matter but I've never seen it suggested anywhere that Thistle were either in favour or against the ban.

I can only therefore conclude you've been talking to a complete numpty, not that any of that was required to come to such a conclusion.

Thanks for the interesting history, though. I wonder how old the Smelltick supporter is, or does that type have such a respect for "tradition" that he holds grudges for generations?

I've never heard before about this disgraceful action by Thistle - I am so appalled I too hope we go bust.

Actually, the last few weeks of paranoia has reminded me of why I dislike Celtic Football Club and the attitudes of so many of their supporters...and that's from someone who has reservations about compulsory Poppy wearing.

I've never heard before about this disgraceful action by Thistle - I am so appalled I too hope we go bust.

Actually, the last few weeks of paranoia has reminded me of why I dislike Celtic Football Club and the attitudes of so many of their supporters...and that's from someone who has reservations about compulsory Poppy wearing.

When did poppy wearing become compulsory? I see plenty of folk not wearing them...

Come on now, chaps! Let's not be beastly about Celtic. Don't you know the whole world is against them in a world-wide conspiracy? Why some of our armed services johnnies will even get themselves wounded, disabled or killed just to annoy the behooped keepers of the moral flame!

Remember a Celtic supporter is always right.*

*except when he's a fud, of course.

I remember being at Parkhead for a premier league game a several years ago when the Jags fans were herded into a corner of their newer stand. We were subjected to the usual abuse but some of their charming fans started brandishing a tricolour at us with IRA clearly stamped on it. A number of us asked stewards to have it removed. The stewards asked the fans brandishing the tricolour to remove it. It was not confiscated. I am sure the celtic fans involved, or nearby, were happy to do so and never likely to bear a grudge. Aye right!

I remember being at Parkhead for a premier league game a several years ago when the Jags fans were herded into a corner of their newer stand. We were subjected to the usual abuse but some of their charming fans started brandishing a tricolour at us with IRA clearly stamped on it. A number of us asked stewards to have it removed. The stewards asked the fans brandishing the tricolour to remove it. It was not confiscated. I am sure the celtic fans involved, or nearby, were happy to do so and never likely to bear a grudge. Aye right!

I remember this as well.....and I seem to remember the stewards insisting on some jags fans sitting down despite the fact that their seats had been damaged previously and hadn't been replaced!...............Ah! Good Times!

Talking to a Celtic supporter today and after the usual small talk over why i support Thistle,did i know this person and the like,I happened to mention that although my dad took my brother and i for years as kids to the games our support lapsed slightly until the Save the Jags campaign and since then have been going almost every week Home and Away.At which point he astonished me by saying he wouldn`t shed a tear if we went bust,due to Thistle trying to get the Tri-colour removed from Parkhead and he still held a grudge.I had no idea what he was talking about can anyone shed some light ?

I've never known of a Celtic fan to harbour a grudge; why should they, they are always right and walk hand-in-hand with a higher power. In the final analysis - and I've been there in debate/argument/drink many many many times, it's what we don't undersatand and it's what their forefathers had to suffer that appears key to their mindset. No one else in Scotland has apparently had to suffer as society progressed (sic) to where we are now. If only they could coherently explain and share their vision then perhaps we could all learn something. But in the meantime, f*** them, I hate them and their ugly twin.

Tell you a quick story that sums up an attitude that I've found to exist to this very day... I remember going to a game at Parkhead in the 70s and standing in the away terracing. Standing facing the sizeable and noisy Thistle support who were in attandance was an old guy holding a framed picture of the Pope. This bloke stood for the full 90 mins holding this picture up to the Jags fans as if it was capable of holding back some kind of satanic force. It worked, we got beat; but this old f***er missed the whole game. Who in their right mind leaves home carrying a framed portrait of a spiritual leader (okay I know he's meant to be God's representative on earth)and takes pleasure displaying it to set of opposing fans. To me, it was as if every set of away fans represented a challenge between the forces of good and evil. Fast forward to today and this is view persists e.g. the thread on starting up Ultras etc.

But to give this a bit of balance, I also remember that night going through Bridgeton Cross and having running battles with the ugly twin's weans who were waiting in ambush; well pouring out of pubs and tooled up to the hilt. So perhaps they are one in the same. As I've said, I can't stand either of them.

Edited by Meister Jag