Jags Trust Announcment (Part Two)

jags365

Off the mark, I'm afraid, Alx. I don't seek out conflict, but I get paid to negotiate contentious commercial deals for clients, so "conflict" is what I deal with, day in, day out.

As I've said before, I resigned because I saw no substantive progress being made within the Trust, and no realistic prospect of ever effecting the change necessary to make that progress.

You saw this at first hand from within while us mere members have been witnessing it from the outside for years now.

The idea of the 'Jags Trust' simply being the custodians of the 1m shares is one that should happen. It can then maybe allow people like yourself and the other good ones to form some kind of fund raising initiative that I'm sure could be much more professionally organised (couldn't be hard) and would find itself with a lot more volunteers willing to help than anything that has the name and stigma of the JT attached to it. I for one would do what I could to do my bit for the club through something of this sort.

The Jags Trust is a deid duck and needs roasted.

Edited by Vom Itorium

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jings, just read this thread for the first time. Everyone should get their name on the EGM list. We need an election. The manifestos would make very interesting reading.

I have a question for the resigning members; nobody has ever honestly told us why so many people are chucking it. Let's hear it, people thinking of standing next time need a heads up for what they are up against. My working theory is that some people just don't have the stomach for conflict as they haven't had much experience of this in their professional lives. I could of course be way off the mark, but we're forced to make wild guesses.

I gave my reasons at the time and I stand by them.

I've submitted this comment to the Trust website, but just in case it doesn't pass the moderation process I'll leave a copy here:

At the most recent AGM, the Trust's Board Representative stated in his outgoing report, under the heading of Trust Achievements: "1876 Merger securing the right to a place on the Club Board in perpetuity without payment of a Directorship fee"

It now emerges that when you shut down the 1876 Club, you never actually got around to getting this agreement with the club in writing. Bearing in mind your current difficulties, wouldn't you accept that any board member who was on the JTB at that time should really step down now as some small gesture of atonement for the massive damage you have done to the members' interests by this gross incompetence?

You'll recall that the week before the merger you voted to recommend acceptance of an offer from the club that hadn't been made in writing and which turned out to be non-existent. (That was recorded in the minutes of a meeting that somehow failed to get put up on the website until very recently.) So it's not as if you hadn't made this mistake before. To make it again after the merger is really unforgivable.

... To make it again after the merger is really unforgivable.

You're probably right, but aren't you in danger of misrepresenting the point? If the Club board said tomorrow that it was wrong, and unconditionally apologised, allowing Morag her rightful place in the promised land of the boardroom, would that solve any of the problems? (I know you know the answer to that.)

The problems are more fundamental. There is a certain irony about a "Supporters' Trust" that is run by people who are reluctant / unwilling to support and/or trust the people who run the Club (being the people who make the meaningful decisions).

I'm in danger of repeating myself, but I can't see what positive outcome the Trust's statement expects to achieve. If the Club board agrees, then it sours the working relationship; if it doesn't (which frankly is certainly going to be the outcome), then it makes you look a bit silly and encourages the Club board to further marginalise you. Perhaps a clean break with the past and less baggage is needed?

Absolutely horrendous situation. And as far as that letter from the Trust is concerned, No bloody wonder the Board wants nothing to do with them!!

I said before,and I will say it again...The Trust is now a Dead Duck!

I see very little point in trying to yet again,resuscitate the Trust,as every attempt with some very good people, has resulted with them walking away in despair.

So, let the Trust as it is,carry on,and do as they are, nothing. Let them keep the shares which are worthless, and lets get a few heads together to create a new group of fans who just simply want to work together for the good of Partick Thistle.

Not looking to misrepresent anything, David. I've argued in the past way too many times about how that was a bad deal for the Trust. People can make their own minds up about that. My point is simply about competence.

There are serving members of the JTB who argued for that deal and voted for it. When the merger was approved, they then had the responsibility to set in stone the agreement they claimed to have made with the board on behalf of their members. 23 months later and I'm told they don't have anything in writing to support their claim, and now the Trust finds itself locked out of the boardroom with no guaranteed road back. And yet they are prepared to sit at the AGM and list this as one of their achievements. It's probably the biggest screw up in the Trust's history.

So it's not about whether the merger was good or bad, whether the club board are right or wrong or which direction the Trust should be heading. It's whether the Jags Trust Board members who were there at the time and are still there now executed this in a competent fashion. I'd love to hear the argument that says they did.

reflecting on these issues about jags/jagstrust/fundraising groups etc brings forth an image of bald men fighting over a comb. any new body (which will just involve the same people) is just goign to be the same pish in a different bottle, - my jagstrust renewal money is going to be redirected to be a member of fcum. i reckon going down to see em and a couple of adopted english teams a few times a year will be of far more utility than this pish (i.e going to see the jags). 4 generations of ptfc is just about enough for this fam - i won't be engaging in this fight to ensure a 5th generation (namely my two kids) has this affliction upon em, hell, let em support the old firm or an english team...

Edited by mrD

reflecting on these issues about jags/jagstrust/fundraising groups etc brings forth an image of bald men fighting over a comb. any new body (which will just involve the same people) is just goign to be the same pish in a different bottle, - my jagstrust renewal money is going to be redirected to be a member of fcum. i reckon going down to see em and a couple of adopted english teams a few times a year will be of far more utility than this pish (i.e going to see the jags). 4 generations of ptfc is just about enough for this fam - i won't be engaging in this fight to ensure a 5th generation (namely my two kids) has this affliction upon em, hell, let em support the old firm or an english team...

:o seriously? Am phonin social services :P

What a banger!

Bit of an over-reaction? What we all (hopefully) support is the team on the park, not who is on the board of the club or on the Jags Trust or whatever. I know that I certainly distance myself entirely from both of those (non)entities.

Not looking to misrepresent anything, David. I've argued in the past way too many times about how that was a bad deal for the Trust. People can make their own minds up about that. My point is simply about competence.

There are serving members of the JTB who argued for that deal and voted for it. When the merger was approved, they then had the responsibility to set in stone the agreement they claimed to have made with the board on behalf of their members. 23 months later and I'm told they don't have anything in writing to support their claim, and now the Trust finds itself locked out of the boardroom with no guaranteed road back. And yet they are prepared to sit at the AGM and list this as one of their achievements. It's probably the biggest screw up in the Trust's history.

So it's not about whether the merger was good or bad, whether the club board are right or wrong or which direction the Trust should be heading. It's whether the Jags Trust Board members who were there at the time and are still there now executed this in a competent fashion. I'd love to hear the argument that says they did.

were you not on the trust board at this time and walk out when you lost the vote for the 1876 club merger

Yep. And if it happened all over again, I'd do exactly the same thing. It was up to the ones who were gagging for the merger to make sure they got what they sold out for.

yes i agree with you we were sold down the river back then

but everyone thinks the sun shineed out his arse

he looked after number one

poacher turned gamekeeper