Jags Tartan Scarves

beep0608

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me personally i'd prefer a Thistle tartan scarf not to have the club crest on it. The tartan says it all.

With the interest that has been shown on here alone it should be enough for Greaves to get stuck right into this and provide something that the punters want rather than some of the tat that has been churned out in the scarf stakes recently.

That's us up to about 40 now. Anyway, when I said the Thistle crest, I was thinking of something like a wee label like you get on most Jags clothing merchandise, not printed on the scarf or anything. I don't know what Geoffrey or whoever would put on it, as a label or whatever.

Still no word back from Scotweb or Greaves. If I've not heard by then I'll call them next week.

Edited by beep0608

THIS IN FROM GREAVES TODAY.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Partick Thistle tartan scarves, we are currently in the process of sourcing this product from our suppliers and once we have all the relevant information we will present it to the Board of directors for the authorisation / approval.

The process from design / manufacture to retail can take a number of weeks but rest assured as soon as they are available for sale I will be in touch.

They will be available through the usual outlets in the City centre, Firhill stadium store and online at www.greavessports.com.

Job done? Let's see, but this looks good to me. I'm not sure if we sparked the idea or whether they were on it already, but no matter.

Well done!

I think it would have been sheer coincidence if Greeves had been looking into this before you had raised it as a topic. You've managed to get the club's retail partner interested in the manufacture and sale of something that will be of benefit to the club. Hat's off to you - it just goes to show that if anyone has an idea that they feel could be of benefit to the club, and there is enough support, it can be actioned and ultimately help finance the club.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Partick Thistle tartan scarves, we are currently in the process of sourcing this product from our suppliers and once we have all the relevant information we will present it to the Board of directors for the authorisation / approval.

The process from design / manufacture to retail can take a number of weeks but rest assured as soon as they are available for sale I will be in touch.

They will be available through the usual outlets in the City centre, Firhill stadium store and online at www.greavessports.com.

Job done? Let's see, but this looks good to me. I'm not sure if we sparked the idea or whether they were on it already, but no matter.

Superb stuff mate.

Yabba dabba doo !!!

Well done beep, take a bow.

As Merryhell says:

it would have been sheer coincidence if Greeves had been looking into this before you had raised it as a topic. You've managed to get the club's retail partner interested in the manufacture and sale of something that will be of benefit to the club. Hat's off to you - it just goes to show that if anyone has an idea that they feel could be of benefit to the club, and there is enough support, it can be actioned and ultimately help finance the club.

Looks like a great result! Well done!

Now let's hope it's a straightforward tartan scarf, and not some jazzed up version.....

Good point. Hopefully they know their business, in which case a straightforward design should be the obvious choice. I trust Greaves actually. Their merch is fairly good, though there are occasional design blunders.

Good news that these will be available again but I wonder how much more money could've been raised for the Club if they had been produced by the 'fans' as such rather than Greaves?

They'll probably be able to sell more as they have official outlets and a that, but yes, I wonder too.

Anyway, this leaves the floor open for what else we could do. The club did say they'd be happy to receive donations. The tartan was always going to be complicated I suppose. Could we do T shirts, or summat? I did some as one offs for friends a few years ago.

One was Isaac English after scoring against Dundee, with the caption Goallllll Particko! Or something like that. These were Football Italia / James Richardson Channel 4 days. The other was Bobby Law, but I forget the caption. All good fun and easily done. Even easier these days.

Just a thought but maybe not a great one.

I'd take half a dozen Thistle tartan scarves for meself and friends. I'm also in need of a red-and-yellow bar scarf. Ties wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I've got a thistle tie, it's red with red players on (wearing stripes), diagonal yellow lines and says 'PARTICK THISTLE F.C.' in small letters on the bottom. But I hate ties and would be happy to hand it over gratis.

I've got one of the original tartan scarves and whilst it's good quality it's small for a gent's* scarf (*used only in a fashion sense, so don't go all Kelvinside on me) and I thought expensive for what it was. But it's great to be able to wear the colours when togged up in the cold and then have folk ask me what tartan it is. I've also got a tie produced for the 125th celebrations, which is obviously outdated now, so a PTFC Tartan tie (no logo) would be great. I also have a navy-blue tie with a "traditional" crest and single thin red and yellows stripes that must be 30year old and in great nick. Whilst I wear the hoodies, TShirts, Polos, I'd like something that's a bit more stylish and suited to the age of those of who were there in 71.

Edited by Wiltshire Jag

Thought I should mention that I just emailed Greaves again, and emphasised that our preferred design is a scarf in the Thistle tartan, without anything printed on it. I didn't labour the point but was clear about it, and suggested that anything else might be less successful. In fcat I'd be surprised if they did anything more than that anyway, but I think that was worth underlining.

Here's hoping. I'd love to think that I could wear my Thistle tartan scarf to Hampden soon, to see Thistle AND Scotland play and win in the dark blue. What a thought, eh?

• 1 month later...

I checked back and saw that the email from Greaves about the Thistle tartan scarves was sent mid January, saying they were going to source product from supppliers and then go to the board for approval. I just sent them an email asking for an update, and whether the board had approved it or not. I fully expected it to take several weeks but it's reasonable to ask now.

I'll let you know as and when I get a response.

• 6 months later...

Anybody got any new information on this?

I got an email from somebody at Greaves way back then, and it sounded promising (see earlier posts). As requested, I waited a while, a few weeks, then emailed again, asking for an update. No reply. I waited a wee while longer and tried again. Nothing again.

I don't get too shocked when people let me down but it is polite to reply, at least. I even asked the last time I was in Greaves but nobody there knew anything about a Thistle tartan scarf. I can't be ersed chasing them any more but if anybody else is then feel free to do so. Good luck. Thistle fans are used to disappointment, but if you keep going there is always hope.

Here is the last email I got.

Frank Bannigan [email protected] to me (14 Jan)

Dear Brian,

They will be available through the usual outlets in the City centre , Firhill stadium store and online at www.greavessports.com .

Kind regards,

Frank.