Andy Gray Sacked

Lindau

It's not as though all male match officials know even the basics of the offside rule.

I've seen absolute howlers from every level from the Juniors (Player given offside in his own half) to the European Champions League (Player was in offside position but ball was played backwards).

On neither occasion did the player object, so I guess they didn't understand the rules either.

Anyway, there's now a perfectly simple way of explaining the offside rule to women.

You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.

The female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire. Both of you have forgotten your purses.

It would be rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.

The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.

Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.

She prepares to throw her purse to you.

If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes!

At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and "whilst it is in flight" you could nip around the other shopper, catch the purse and buy the shoes!

BUT, you must always remember that until the purse has "actually been thrown", it would be plain wrong for you to be in front of the other shopper and you would be OFFSIDE!

:whistling::unsure::bag:

Gray's comments were clearly not exactly PC but the ones from last weeks game were made off camera and essentially amounted to a personal conversation between two people, rather than being comments made in the course of carrying out their job. If we're all honest with ourselves and this was applied to us I suspect we'd all be out of a job.

The footage with the female presenter was pretty offensive though but I do think that he may have a strong case for unfair dismissal. In these cases, you would be warned about your future behaviour. Indeed, it can probably be taken as read if he made such comments last week that the past may well be littered with similar occurences.

In any event, Sky Sports appear to wanting to have it both ways - how come their female presenters are all young, attractive women with cleavage showing? Isn't that just as sexist?

I don't know if the presenter has made a complaint about Gray's behaviour (and perhaps she can give as good as she gets - is that sexist if she does?) but the fact that the footage is being leaked does leave a whiff of suspicion about the whole affair.

Talk of women not knowing the off-side rule! There are guys near me at Firhill who go ballistic when the linesman raises his flag for off-side when its obvious a player is off-side. They either need specs or just don’t know the rules. Or maybe both.

No sir it ain’t just the lassies, well some of them, that don’t know the rules.

It's not as though all male match officials know even the basics of the offside rule.

I've seen absolute howlers from every level from the Juniors (Player given offside in his own half) to the European Champions League (Player was in offside position but ball was played backwards).

On neither occasion did the player object, so I guess they didn't understand the rules either.

Anyway, there's now a perfectly simple way of explaining the offside rule to women.

:whistling::unsure::bag:

Naw ... that's the OLD off side rule when it was straightforward. Now you can stand right in front of the till and claim you're not really interested in buying shoes, then the ball - I mean purse - is thrown to a mate of yours standing in line with the other shopper and it's "accidentally" dropped and slides to you. You pick it up and suddenly decide you want to buy shoes after all.

Can't say I'm bothered he is back, never liked him much as a commentator anyway, his constant selling of the Premiership and all who play in her being the best thing on the planet gets a bit tiresome. My only fear is that Redknapp will be promoted from ruining the analysis to ruining the actual game itself.

What he said.

And his painful first name terms bum chumminess whilst commentating.