Just In

Lanarkjag

Cold wet February night in Cowdenbeath. Only around 450 turned up. Got there so early I was the only one in the ground for 30 mins :thinking:

Not the greatest performance. Cowden Pen was a clear handball in the box - I have seen many of these go either way as it was more ball to hand so really a 50-50. It was the linesmans decision though.

Grehan and Doolan seem to be beginning to work well as a team up front, but they were working off scraps for most of the night, the distribution from back to front was nothing short of appalling - the overiding tactic seemingly hit a ball over the top for the front two to chase.

A draw about right in the end, although we did have the chance to win the game in the final ten with some pretty persistent pressure, including a long range lob from Sid right at the end which was inches away from going in.

Not impressive enough, although Cowden only really had three chances the whole game and we certainly had one off the line and a two or three decent stops from their keeper.

1-1 about right, although we probably should have edged it at the end.

Thought we huffed and puffed without looking like getting the break in front of goal we needed until Flannigan showed the one bit of quality in front of goal from a Jags player all night.

Guys all put a shift in but there were too many misplaced passes and far too many aimless long balls played.

Cowden got their goal early (was just walking into the stand when it was given so never saw whether it was a pen or not) and were content to try and hold on to their lead for the rest of the game, hitting us on the counter attack and wasting time wherever possible.

Cold wet February night in Cowdenbeath. Only around 450 turned up. Got there so early I was the only one in the ground for 30 mins :thinking:

Not the greatest performance. Cowden Pen was a clear handball in the box - I have seen many of these go either way as it was more ball to hand so really a 50-50. It was the linesmans decision though.

Grehan and Doolan seem to be beginning to work well as a team up front, but they were working off scraps for most of the night, the distribution from back to front was nothing short of appalling - the overiding tactic seemingly hit a ball over the top for the front two to chase.

A draw about right in the end, although we did have the chance to win the game in the final ten with some pretty persistent pressure, including a long range lob from Sid right at the end which was inches away from going in.

Not impressive enough, although Cowden only really had three chances the whole game and we certainly had one off the line and a two or three decent stops from their keeper.

1-1 about right, although we probably should have edged it at the end.

Think I was at a different game from you mate, how we never won that I will never know. The Cowdenbeath penalty actually hit the hand of the Cowden player. The ref didn't just give it, he spent five minutes chatting to the linesman about it and then booked Rowson for dissent. We have had two of Scotland's worst three refs in our last two matches (Somers being the other). Cowden were time watsing something awful and he wasn't interetsed.

Agree the distribution from the back was awful but we had so many chances. Three cleared off the line, one of the top of the bar, Donnelly's chip just past the post, two sitters missed, a free header straight at the keeper and numerous last ditch tackles. In many respects, it was like last time all over - all Jags but struggled to score. That said, had it not been for a brilliant save by Fox at 1-0, it could have been all over for us.

Thought we done ok on a heavy pitch and with a bug sweeping through the camp, but...and I can't believe I'm saying this...we looked ropey at the back without big Willie.

McGowan done ok on the right hand side and has a brilliant long throw.

I can't understand why some folk are not convinced by Flannigan. He is one of the few football players we have - always looks for a pass, can beat a man, and can shoot.

A long unbeaten run in the league - need to continue it on Saturday now. But I can't help get away from the feeling we should be 4 points better off after Saturday and tonight.

Think I was at a different game from you mate, how we never won that I will never know. The Cowdenbeath penalty actually hit the hand of the Cowden player. The ref didn't just give it, he spent five minutes chatting to the linesman about it and then booked Rowson for dissent. We have had two of Scotland's worst three refs in our last two matches (Somers being the other). Cowden were time watsing something awful and he wasn't interetsed.

Agree the distribution from the back was awful but we had so many chances. Three cleared off the line, one of the top of the bar, Donnelly's chip just past the post, two sitters missed, a free header straight at the keeper and numerous last ditch tackles. In many respects, it was like last time all over - all Jags but struggled to score. That said, had it not been for a brilliant save by Fox at 1-0, it could have been all over for us.

Thought we done ok on a heavy pitch and with a bug sweeping through the camp, but...and I can't believe I'm saying this...we looked ropey at the back without big Willie.

McGowan done ok on the right hand side and has a brilliant long throw.

I can't understand why some folk are not convinced by Flannigan. He is one of the few football players we have - always looks for a pass, can beat a man, and can shoot.

A long unbeaten run in the league - need to continue it on Saturday now. But I can't help get away from the feeling we should be 4 points better off after Saturday and tonight.

Was on the terracing side of the pitch right on the 18 yd line. As I saw the pen the ball was played across the 18yd box behind the Thistle player who's trailing hand it hit. It's amazing how perceptions are different of the same game. Most of the chances we had were half chances up until the last 15 or so, apart from the ball cleared off the line in the first half. Some I would admit could have been good chances had we been a little sharper. After we equalised there was only going to be one winner, and we could have had at least another two in the last few minutes. Most of this stemmed from when the big No 6 was subbed off for Cowden - they went into panic mode at the back.

To be fair Rowser was screaming at the Linesman. I don't see the point in continuing to complain. When a decision is given 99.9% they wont change their mind. Screaming at them is never going to help.

As for the timewasting, there was a lot of stoppage time played at the end. I made it over 5 mins

Edited by Lanarkjag

i dont think 1-1 was a fair result at all, if we had of won 3 or 4-1 then that would have been about right in my opinion. cowdenbeath were absolute horrific, was at the other end so cant comment on their pen but we had about 5 or so clear chances, numerous corners that broke out to our players but we just couldnt hit the net then when sid hit that lob at the end i thought it was in all the way.

i thought the players put in a good shift in the second half but these are games and the queens game at the weekend that we need to win if we're to even think about promotion, we beat dunfermline the other week but they smashed 4 passed cowden, i think even buchanan would have managed to sclaff a few in for us tonight. i cant recall cowden having another real shot at goal, they clipped the bar in the second half with a long dipping cross but apart from that they were abysmal. i thought paton had a good game , he was always looking for the ball early off of the fox and looking at getting forward. doolan and grehan were ok, didnt think cairney looked fully fit and he came on for hodge. anyways piss poor result but we're still unbeaten in a while. if only we had a good centre forward, even big deuchar would have done us a turn tonight! a big nogging to get on the end of corners. its been a while since ive seen us dominate a team as much but we need to be more clinical. oh aye and £20 down the cludgey, well ladbrokes cludgey!

I think cowdenbeath just let all the local mutants in, never seen so many wee neds and folk lookin for a confrontation, i feel sorry for their actual fans have to stand next to these wee tadgers. rant over!

Edited by jags on tour

Well that was horrific to watch, 90 minutes of thumping the ball forwards in wind and rain, hoping that it would eventually end up with a Jags player.

Archie was particularly brutal, he had a nightmare. Closest he got to a meaningful piece of defending was a bodycheck on a Cowdenbeath player in the first half.

Hodge and Rowson were pitiful in the first half. No grip of the game at all. Cairney did little to change that, against today's opposition you have to expect better.

Cowdenbeath are no better than a pub team. They have been consistently humped most weeks, yet we have managed 1 point from 6 at Central Park, not good enough.

Had a good view of the penalty decision and apart from hitting one of their hands it was never in the area, pretty well confirmed by the fact that none of them claimed for it and looked as surprised as our lot when it was given. Thought the referees decision to pull back our advantage for a free kick in the 2nd half was pretty amaturish as well. We did more than enough to win and with a good poacher could have been three or four easy. Not saying that we were particularly good, more that they were poor. In all fareness, it was pretty poor conditions for both teams.

1st half standing out on the terrace was the coldest and wettest I've been at a game in long time. Topped off by something they called a burger...

Just to add my tuppence worth, going back over recent years we've rarely got a decent result in adverse weather conditions. We especially tend to play amateurish when there's a strong wind.

I guess what happened tonight was the weather nullified whatever advantage we should have over Cowden. In their own way. and no doubt helped by the early one goal lead, they handled the conditions far better than us.

I've no idea what substitutions were forced on us for health reasons or were tactical but I saw no improvement with Cairney for Hodge or with Erskine for Grehan. Donnelly for McGowan may have worked to benefit marginally.

Of all the rather eccentric decisions from that ref tonight I thought the failure to apply the advantage rule with Doolan latish on was his crowning glory :( .

The one player tonight that looked clued up on what was needed was Flannigan. He may play a little delicate for most of our liking but, if we overlook that, he at least plays with a bit of purpose. Just why he was taking corners from the right with the wind against us baffled me. I know Hodge was off the field but I'd have thought in Hodge's absence Boyle would be the obvious guy to take them.