The League Cup Final, And The Far East

Jaggernaut

All that stuff about "We never thought for a minute we could win" I think is a lot of shite. On the 1971 DVD all those interviewed said they believed they could win. You don't win a football match without belief and those players DID have that, despite what John Hansen says.

All that stuff about "We never thought for a minute we could win" I think is a lot of shite. On the 1971 DVD all those interviewed said they believed they could win. You don't win a football match without belief and those players DID have that, despite what John Hansen says.

I agree. Davie McParland still maintains that they had great (if youthful) belief in themselves that day.

The article is credited to Robert Philip who I'm sure is a Thistle fan who used to post on the previous forum...but it's full of inaccuracies.

Maybe these are down to John Hansen's faulty memory but we lost 7-2 to Aberdeen and beat Motherwell 8-3; we've never lost successive games 7-0 and 8-0; and why would John who played right back be marking Jimmy Johnstone, a right winger? Ronnie Glavin sorted out Jinky anyway - he was taken off injured in the first half. And as far as I can remember, the Thistle fans sang all through the game not just in the last ten minutes.

So I wouldn't place much reliance on any of the other comments.

Like most Thistle fans I thought we might just win - we had some exceptional young players and were an unknown quantity. I didn't expect us to be 4-0 up by half-time though!

The article is credited to Robert Philip who I'm sure is a Thistle fan who used to post on the previous forum...but it's full of inaccuracies.

Maybe these are down to John Hansen's faulty memory but we lost 7-2 to Aberdeen and beat Motherwell 8-3; we've never lost successive games 7-0 and 8-0; and why would John who played right back be marking Jimmy Johnstone, a right winger? Ronnie Glavin sorted out Jinky anyway - he was taken off injured in the first half. And as far as I can remember, the Thistle fans sang all through the game not just in the last ten minutes.

So I wouldn't place much reliance on any of the other comments.

Like most Thistle fans I thought we might just win - we had some exceptional young players and were an unknown quantity. I didn't expect us to be 4-0 up by half-time though!

I think that probably the journalist wrote what he wanted to hear, and what he thought would make a good story, rather than what JH actually said. But who knows?

I'm sure that the whole Far East tour, with recollections of the players, whatever newspaper cuttings there might be etc., would be a great book!

I think that probably the journalist wrote what he wanted to hear, and what he thought would make a good story, rather than what JH actually said. But who knows?

I'm sure that the whole Far East tour, with recollections of the players, whatever newspaper cuttings there might be etc., would be a great book!

i still have the tape of the interview if anyone would care to listen to it...

I hope that we come back to the top flight as early as possible, and sign an East Asian international player. For example, Chong Tese (German Bundesliga 2 side Bochum, and DPRK international striker) or Kawashima (Belgian side Lierse SK, in the relegation battle in the Belgian top flight, and Japanese international GK).

I hope that we come back to the top flight as early as possible, and sign an East Asian international player. For example, Chong Tese (German Bundesliga 2 side Bochum, and DPRK international striker) or Kawashima (Belgian side Lierse SK, in the relegation battle in the Belgian top flight, and Japanese international GK).

Kawashima is pretty good, but not sure if he's better than Scott Fox.

:rolleyes:

Did he really make the factual errors that got into the article? If so, it goes to show that players themselves are as prone to false memories as the rest of us!

i would imagine that when john said that we'd lost 7-0 and 8-0 he meant it as a throwaway line meaning we'd been soundly beaten in successive games. it might have been better understood of i'd used words rather than figures in the quote - 'we lost a coupla game seven or eight nil...'

jimmy johnstone did, in fact, swap wings repeatedly during the game hence the reason ronnie glavin was there to sort him out and the reason why john found himself marking jinky on occasion.

but, yes, players' memories are as hazy as the rest of us at times.

billy bermner forever insisted that jim baxter sat on the ball during our 3-2 annihilation of england at wembley in '67. he didn't...

Absolutely! I also believed that our superiority would tell by the use of the big, wide pitch which was ideal for our pacy players - eg Forsyth, Lawrie and Coulston - and that if/when Denis started to fall over, having beaten five men (inc. two of them twice), he'd have ample room to get up and do it all over again. I also expected Bone and Coulston to be marked fairly loosely which they were.

Oh what a wise young fellow I was then. I wasn't although I thought I was, but had absolute belief that we were about to shock the football world. I got that bit right.

This has probably been posted before, but still enjoyable.

I didn't know that we played Olympiakos on the way back from the Far East....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2348822/The-day-Hansen-and-Thistle-were-a-thorn-in-Celtics-side.html

"with an average age of under 22"

Learn from the past to better the future.

Didn't get to the LC Final in '71, but I did go to the next league game at Firhill a few weeks later where they gubbed us 5-1. We really did earn the old Great unpredictables tag in them days!

thats right

celtic played their new goalkeeper connaghan from st midden

dont think bone was playing

was in the shed right in line with celtic goal connaghan was s******g himself every time we crossed the halfway line

i remember before they scored we had a couple of efforts at goal connaghan was diving the wrong way the ball hitting him on the legs

2 of their goals came from corners big roughie waving to the fans in the shed as the ball came over -- great shot stopper though

the midweek aberdeen game at pittodrie i heard that the team was still suffering from the victory "celebrations"

thats right

was in the shed right in line with celtic goal connaghan was s******g himself every time we crossed the halfway line

i remember before they scored we had a couple of efforts at goal connaghan was diving the wrong way the ball hitting him on the legs

2 of their goals came from corners big roughie waving to the fans in the shed as the ball came over -- great shot stopper though

the midweek aberdeen game at pittodrie i heard that the team was still suffering from the victory "celebrations"

It was the following Saturday, but the hangovers probably still hadn't cleared.

thats right

That would be a perishing night at Dens. 0-0. We seemed ok if a bit hungover. No NW bus that night :o , so we went on the Maryhill bus instead. Everybody still as hoarse as fcuk from the Saturday. :)

My two biggest two abiding memories of that game were me (16 at the time) and my Da hugging and greetin' at the fourth goal and the journey back. One of the Whiteinch buses broke down in the Hampden bus park so everyone piled on to one double decker and the noise on that bus was phenomenal. going under the heilanmans umbrella I remember folk outside wondering wtf the noise was then seeing it was a jags bus and the party that was happening guessing we had won and giving us a clap. Then being outside of Firhill when they came back - nothing will ever beat that day, especially sharing it with Dad.

My two biggest two abiding memories of that game were me (16 at the time) and my Da hugging and greetin' at the fourth goal and the journey back. One of the Whiteinch buses broke down in the Hampden bus park so everyone piled on to one double decker and the noise on that bus was phenomenal. going under the heilanmans umbrella I remember folk outside wondering wtf the noise was then seeing it was a jags bus and the party that was happening guessing we had won and giving us a clap. Then being outside of Firhill when they came back - nothing will ever beat that day, especially sharing it with Dad.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Always great to hear memories of that day

You're right, I guess. Though we can dream of it, for those of us who were there, it will probably never be equalled before we shake off this mortal coil.

Here's hoping that all the younger Thistle fans will live something quite as phenomenal. Think the 0-0 game vs. Forfar at Firhill, the double under Lambie, Lindau's hat-trick at Forthbank, the big one at Love Street, the unbridled ecstasy of Peterhead, all together and multiplied by a high number.

And then add some more.

the very laws of time and space seemed as if they had been suspended that day. When we went 4-0 it seemed like anything was possible. If the Martians had landed in the middle of the pitch at that point I wouldn't have been any more surprised than I already was