Belfast Accent

sigesige00

I did my masters degree in English, and I can understand BBC English. However, I have a hard time to understand Belfast English. I phoned a woman in Belfast, but I could not understand her English.

Aye, me too. Especially when I asked her to say "how now brown cow".

I did my masters degree in English, and I can understand BBC English. However, I have a hard time to understand Belfast English. I phoned a woman in Belfast, but I could not understand her English.

Well, she might have been Polish, Pakistani, Bangladeshi.....

Admittedly, I also have problems with some strong northern Irish accents.

But I hope you didn't just phone a woman at random....!

You'd be absolutely fine in Maryhill, particularly when conversing in the vernacular of the locals in Jags pubs such as the Strathmore and the Star & Garter.

Fantastic - a Bellshill resident and a fantasist to boot - thought your two-bob correspondence course was too expensive .... now you tell us you have a Masters in Engrish - indeed the whoppers are escalating.

Standards are surely slipping sig!

What were you phoning Belfast for - new shirt, new bank account, checking the length of football shorts or something else?

Fantastic - a Bellshill resident and a fantasist to boot - thought your two-bob correspondence course was too expensive .... now you tell us you have a Masters in Engrish - indeed the whoppers are escalating.

What were you phoning Belfast for - new shirt, new bank account, checking the length of football shorts or something else?

A trial of him being sigesigespunknik is remembering which things he has said into which ears.

Engrish -- well, there is no phonemic distinction between r and l in Japanese. In Korean, there is difference between r and l, but they are one phoneme in Korean.

I phoned Donegal Celtic for shirts -- I like their away shirt (black and green hoops) this year. I want one short-sleeved and one long-sleeved with the IFA Premiership badges. But I am not sure of availability of the badges. Maybe waiting for the next season is a good idea; because Donegal Celtic's relegation is almost certain and there is no sleeve badge in the 2nd tier.

Edited by sigesige00

• 2 weeks later...

"Hoy noy brine coy," or something to that effect.

Siggie, I'm curious. what were you doing phoning a woman in Belfast? Her name wasn't Dympna, was it? Billy will not be amused.

Engrish -- well, there is no phonemic distinction between r and l in Japanese. In Korean, there is difference between r and l, but they are one phoneme in Korean.

I phoned Donegal Celtic for shirts -- I like their away shirt (black and green hoops) this year. I want one short-sleeved and one long-sleeved with the IFA Premiership badges. But I am not sure of availability of the badges. Maybe waiting for the next season is a good idea; because Donegal Celtic's relegation is almost certain and there is no sleeve badge in the 2nd tier.

Save yourself some dosh by asking for one strip only with a short sleeve at one side and a long sleeve on the other. SERIOUS.