Released From Perth

Id echo the above, I thought Irvine was the best right back in the 1st division during 2008-09. Bit like paton going forward but can actually find a man with his crosses and isnt scared to go on back into his left. Strange decision to release a player who is usually in their first eleven though. :unsure:

Id echo the above, I thought Irvine was the best right back in the 1st division during 2008-09. Bit like paton going forward but can actually find a man with his crosses and isnt scared to go on back into his left. Strange decision to release a player who is usually in their first eleven though. :unsure:

I suppose they could be signing a centre half and moving Dave MacKay back to right back :unsure: .

Fairly certain Ross McGeough shouldn't be completely frozen out of a right back slot by the arrival of another in that position. Plus Robbo can cover there as well.

I very much doubt we'd be able to get Irvine but if that were the case we would have to transfer Paton for a decent enough sum to finance the move. I can't see that happening either.

I suppose they could be signing a centre half and moving Dave MacKay back to right back :unsure: .

Fairly certain Ross McGeough shouldn't be completely frozen out of a right back slot by the arrival of another in that position. Plus Robbo can cover there as well.

I very much doubt we'd be able to get Irvine but if that were the case we would have to transfer Paton for a decent enough sum to finance the move. I can't see that happening either.

I dont think it would be far out of our financial reach as we'd be freeing up a wage (Paton's) and getting whatever small fee in return. A bag of footballs or some training cones would do for me.

Reckon Falkirk is a more likely destiation for Irvine though as a replacement for Barr. If only we could presuade clueless Pressley to take Paton instead!!!

Last time I saw him at McDiarmid he was pretty rapid and also in the couple of SPL bores Ive watched this season. Although it wouldnt be hard to look fast running against our ageing defence. I would say he's as fast as Paton, definetly fast enough to be a decent wing back for us.

Edited by kennymac29

Strange decision to release a player who is usually in their first eleven though. :unsure:

He's hardly featured. MacKay's made the right-back spot his own, winning several player of the season awards in the process.

He's hardly featured. MacKay's made the right-back spot his own, winning several player of the season awards in the process.

I'm sure MacKay has played at centre back quite a bit this season but as you indicate it looks like MacKay's form is a major reason for Irvine being released.

Btw I hear we're interested in Scott McLaughlin of Airdrie.

As posted before MacKay has indeed played at centre half most games since the arrival of Duburry (sp?) Think his football brain acts as a foil for the big mans physical attributes...

Much like when I acted as the footballing ability throughout school football to get Mackay his professional contract! Ha Ha!

I'm sure he has a soft spot for the jags because of all my shite Thistle patter he's had to endure (I'm sure he has probably scored more goals against us in the last 5 years than anyone else or at least it seems like that so that's my payback!) and although I don't see him much now he always asks about the Jags and I always tell him to play for us!

He would I'm certain of it, but we don't have the dough for him unfortunately!

As posted before MacKay has indeed played at centre half most games since the arrival of Duburry (sp?) Think his football brain acts as a foil for the big mans physical attributes...

I thought Duberry was the centre half and Mackay the right back? Ah, well. Irvine himself puts his omission from the team down to Mackay's form, but we're arguiong over an igsignificant point here.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark