Random 1960S Musings

Jaggernaut

From my reading of the Official History statistics Johnny who was one of my boyhood idols played in every forward position apart from outside left during his years at Firhill.

And that would be as Arthur Duncan more or less would be first choice outside left while Johnny was at Firhill.

I can remember Flanagan playing inside left quite a lot. In fact I might have seen him play that position just as often as right wing. :unsure:

• 1 year later...

As acknowledgement of us getting the historical photos back, it would seem a good idea to use them to illustrate a number of the topics on the forum. So here's one (supplied by yours truly) of John Flanagan skinning a tart, circa 1967.

Flanagan

Another reason for posting it is because I loved that very short-lived strip, and think it could make an excellent away outfit. Could anybody do a modern version of it? It's white, black collar and cuffs. A broad yellow hoop inside two slightly thinner red ones. Red shorts, white socks with again the r&Y hoops.

Don't know if you noticed Jaggernaut, but Lianne has now got all the old photos back on her ptfcnet site. And it includes a rather nifty slideshow facility.

Would be great to read the Kurt Cobain thread again :innocent2:

Cheers for the link Willjag - bookmarked :D

• Like 1

As acknowledgement of us getting the historical photos back, it would seem a good idea to use them to illustrate a number of the topics on the forum. So here's one (supplied by yours truly) of John Flanagan skinning a tart, circa 1967.

Flanagan

Another reason for posting it is because I loved that very short-lived strip, and think it could make an excellent away outfit. Could anybody do a modern version of it? It's white, black collar and cuffs. A broad yellow hoop inside two slightly thinner red ones. Red shorts, white socks with again the r&Y hoops.

I liked that ephemeral strip too. I think I only watched us once in it and, as you say, that pic of JF was against Hearts.

Who's the Thistle player with his back to the camera near Flanagan? Was thinking it might've been Tommy

Rae, but looks a bit tall to be him maybe?

ETA: Also a thanks from me too, Will. And also to say that seeing a two thirds full EMS and enclosure for a routine league game brings a wee glazing onto my eyes.

Edited by Blackpool Jags

I liked that ephemeral strip too. I think I only watched us once in it and, as you say, that pic of JF was against Hearts.

Who's the Thistle player with his back to the camera near Flanagan? Was thinking it might've been Tommy

Rae, but looks a bit tall to be him maybe?

ETA: Also a thanks from me too, Will. And also to say that seeing a two thirds full EMS and enclosure for a routine league game brings a wee glazing onto my eyes.

Definitely TR. And here's the man himself scoring a peach against the tractor drivers.

http://ptfcnet.co.uk/gallery/index.php/Historic-Photos/rae_killie_6768

I remember George Cumming, but as head of the Scottish Referees. The SFA were using yellow cards with the SFA logo and 'fair play on them. I wrote to him requesting some, which he sent , and I used them for seveal seasons.

I also remember Johnny Flanagan and took this photo of him in 1969. http://www.flickr.com/photos/94199364@N03/8571957087/in/photostream. This was the season we were relagated to the second division.

I remember George Cumming, but as head of the Scottish Referees. The SFA were using yellow cards with the SFA logo and 'fair play on them. I wrote to him requesting some, which he sent , and I used them for seveal seasons.

I also remember Johnny Flanagan and took this photo of him in 1969. http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream. This was the season we were relagated to the second division.

Great, atmospheric photo. I like the old Subbuteo-style goals from back then.

Again, if I remember correctly, weren't we and Hearts the only teams with those curved stanchions - at least in the First Division in the 60s and 70s?

Even for me, that question is too anorakish!

Edited to add: First Division maybe, but photos of the League Cup Final show that Hampden still had them in 1971.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Probably taking Random 1960s Musings to extreme here, but does anybody remember a last home game of the season v Dundee Utd (probably 1966/67 season) when a DU (still in all white in those days) player hit one from around 25 yards straight at George Niven (in the North end goal)? Niven stood motionless as the ball approached him, and with Jags fans horrified and expecting to see the net bulge behind him, he magically produced the ball from round his back.

I can't recall a piece of goalkeeping showboating quite like that in the 40-odd years since that game, but it was a talking point for the rest of the day and a bit beyond that. George Niven: Partick Thistle legend.

• Like 1

has there ever been a better strip than the traditional red and yellow hoops, white shorts and red socks with the black/yellow/black bands? talking of george niven (as blackpool jag was) am i right in recalling that in his debut (against dundee?) he wore a green jersey? a nice touch given that he had just arrived at firhill from south of the river

has there ever been a better strip than the traditional red and yellow hoops, white shorts and red socks with the black/yellow/black bands? talking of george niven (as blackpool jag was) am i right in recalling that in his debut (against dundee?) he wore a green jersey? a nice touch given that he had just arrived at firhill from south of the river

That strip has never been surpassed, imo. George Niven's debut was just before my time, but if I remember right he certainly wore green a few times, although he was mostly in yellow. Like you say, credit to him for wearing green, especially on his debut: anathema to his former, sadly now defunct, club.