The Firhill Cup & Family Fun Day - 8Th May 2011.

chickirk

Hi folks, just to let you all know that myself (Charlie) and Stewart have already got over 70 names down for the firhill cup. Alot of these people have already paid the £25 donation to the team.

We still have a few places left so if you would like to get a game on the firhill pitch then please contact me asap.

Im not a big fan of the forums but i will try to keep you all posted with any info i have!

If you need nore info please contact me on 07881924177 or email me on [email protected]

I hope that all the thistle fans will back this and bring the kids along to the fun day!

Cheers Charlie.

Charlie,

If you get more folk wanting to join in is there room to add more teams to the format of the Firhill Cup? The more players, the more money to the club and I'm sure those participating wouldn't mind losing five minutes play here or there if it gave the gaffer more money to play with next season.

Charlie,

If you get more folk wanting to join in is there room to add more teams to the format of the Firhill Cup? The more players, the more money to the club and I'm sure those participating wouldn't mind losing five minutes play here or there if it gave the gaffer more money to play with next season.

I hope I don't come across as a selfish bar steward, but...

I've paid my money for my boy to play and I want him to get as much pitch time as possible. Or to put it another way, I want my money's worth. I want what I paid for.

My end of the deal is buying into the idea, Charlie's end of the deal is to give me what I've paid for. If this thing gets over-subscribed (and in many ways that would be great) I would expect some other remedy to be found for dealing with that.

Edited by crazy davie

I hope I don't come across as a selfish bar steward, but...

I've paid my money for my boy to play and I want him to get as much pitch time as possible. Or to put it another way, I want my money's worth. I want what I paid for.

My end of the deal is buying into the idea, Charlie's end of the deal is to give me what I've paid for. If this thing gets over-subscribed (and in many ways that would be great) I would expect some other remedy to be found for dealing with that.

So you'd rather your boy gets an extra 10 minutes or so action than the club potentially having hundreds of pounds more for the playing budget next season?

Each to their own..

Vom Itorium has a good point but I agree with crazy davie. The way I see it is the prices/times for each of the matches have been set etc and they should stay that way now folk have paid. The event was only announced on Monday so it's still early days.

If the folk organising this event are inundated with fans wanting to participate then what does that tell you?

For me, a couple of things.

A) It's a fantastic idea.

B ) I'd like to think that for all fans it's an ambition to play on the pitch of the club they support.

C) Why wasn't this sort of event organised years ago as a fund raising annual event?

So far it seems that all the teams are nearly full up and that's 4 days after it was announced. That speaks volumes.

Raising as much money as possible, as Vom Itorium mentioned is what the event is all about. What the folk in charge can gather from this is that they've had a great response so far and if it was to happen again, either later in the summer or next year then they know they can generate more money through more fans wanting to participate.

You could have it in age sections too, in the future. The youngsters could have a shorter 5-a-side tournament and then the grown ups can have the 20 minute 11-a-side matches. Greaves handed the Trust 7-a-side goals a few years ago at Kelvingrove park, so I don't see why it can't happen again. That's just my thought.

Edited by northernsoul

Charlie,

Hi mate, just to let you know that the Firhill Cup will will run with 14 in each team and will have 8 teams. Thats 112 people for me to organise. (money, teams, positions, disclaimers, colours and the list goes on.....) Thats all before i sort out sponsorship, photographers, bouncy castles, bouncy slides, face painters, beat the goalie, food, drink and the list goes on again. I would love to make it much bigger but the amount of time me and Stuart are putting into this is massive. Both of us work full time with the government and i have a bouncy castle business to run aswell. My fianc'ee will prob kill me as it is! It will not be made bigger! Not because it may upset people but of the time factor! If everyone gets behind this tourny and fun day then it will give Thistle a nice wee boost to the player budget. Thats what this is all about! I still have limited number of places left in the teams so anyone that wants the chance to play still has the chance to put their name down! But now is the time! Cheers Charlie.

Hi mate, just to let you know that the Firhill Cup will will run with 14 in each team and will have 8 teams. Thats 112 people for me to organise. (money, teams, positions, disclaimers, colours and the list goes on.....) Thats all before i sort out sponsorship, photographers, bouncy castles, bouncy slides, face painters, beat the goalie, food, drink and the list goes on again. I would love to make it much bigger but the amount of time me and Stuart are putting into this is massive. Both of us work full time with the government and i have a bouncy castle business to run aswell. My fianc'ee will prob kill me as it is! It will not be made bigger! Not because it may upset people but of the time factor! If everyone gets behind this tourny and fun day then it will give Thistle a nice wee boost to the player budget. Thats what this is all about! I still have limited number of places left in the teams so anyone that wants the chance to play still has the chance to put their name down! But now is the time! Cheers Charlie.

Great work Charlie, an absolutely fantastic idea.

Is their any way posters can be created to advertise the day and Jags fans can get them distributed round Glasgow to promote it

So you'd rather your boy gets an extra 10 minutes or so action than the club potentially having hundreds of pounds more for the playing budget next season?

Each to their own..

It doesn't work like that.

What happens if it's not 10 minutes? What happens if it's 15 minutes ? 20 minutes? 35 minutes?

CD, you do realise it's 14 player pools? There's every chance you r lad won't get a full game anyway?

Hi Willjag - yes I am aware of that. I don't expect my son will be on the pitch the whole time, just that he gets a fair run-out for his money.

Even if this was sold as 2 minutes on the park, I would have bought into it. But I would expect him to get his 2 minutes.

CD does have a point, both from a personal point & I presume a legal point also. The offer was 3 games at 20mins each (I think) & that was accepted by paying the £25. It would be unfair for that to then be changed, the only option would be to, as Junior said, start earlier/end later.

This is probably an ideal amount for the 1st tournament to have, it is obviously a number the organisers are comfortable with, which is a good thing as you don't want an event like this to go tits up on the day due to it being out of control with the amount of people that need to be accounted for.

If it's a success, which I think it will, I don't see why it couldn't be expanded for the next one to allow for bigger income.

Great work Charlie, an absolutely fantastic idea.

Is their any way posters can be created to advertise the day and Jags fans can get them distributed round Glasgow to promote it

Good idea mate! I will make something up and get it up on the thistle web site for downloading! That way anyone that would like to help advertise the Firhill Cup can just print them off and put them up at will! Good idea! Cheers Charlie.

I've just noticed something, will the teams have managers/coaches? I know it isn't that serious but it could be fun and generate some more cash if you sold off 8 manager positions. It would allow those whose playing days might be over to contribute in some way.