New Pt Supporter Ticket Prices?

redhulk44

I am new Jags supporter, i remember my Dad taking me to see Thistle was i was about 10 years old to the old stand when Bertie was the manager, my Dad was a Rangers supporter and my Mum a Celt fan, so i was stuck in the middle amd confused on who i should support, as a kid i hated both teams even at a early age i hated all the sash, King Billy, IRA UDA, POPE crap that should have nothing to do with Football/sport, nothing has changed the old firm is as bad as ever and its a joke, sad brainless bigots!!

After years of my interest in Boxing and other sports i decided to go back to Firhill and see the Jags again, i had a great 1st night watching them beat Queen of the South 3-1 even though it was freezing and pissing down, after that i been back to a few other matches, but i think that something has to been down about the pitch, i know Thistle need the money from the rugby, but the pitch is bad! and i also think that the ticket prices should be a little less, 17 quid is too much, i would say 12.50 would be a decent price, hopefully it would draw in more, 17 quid might not seem much to some, but money is tight for many

Im interested to hear what should be done about the pitch and ticket prices.

Was looking forward to Tuesday nights game, lets hope they get a cover in the future!

I am new Jags supporter, i remember my Dad taking me to see Thistle was i was about 10 years old to the old stand when Bertie was the manager, my Dad was a Rangers supporter and my Mum a Celt fan, so i was stuck in the middle amd confused on who i should support, as a kid i hated both teams even at a early age i hated all the sash, King Billy, IRA UDA, POPE crap that should have nothing to do with Football/sport, nothing has changed the old firm is as bad as ever and its a joke, sad brainless bigots!!

After years of my interest in Boxing and other sports i decided to go back to Firhill and see the Jags again, i had a great 1st night watching them beat Queen of the South 3-1 even though it was freezing and pissing down, after that i been back to a few other matches, but i think that something has to been down about the pitch, i know Thistle need the money from the rugby, but the pitch is bad! and i also think that the ticket prices should be a little less, 17 quid is too much, i would say 12.50 would be a decent price, hopefully it would draw in more, 17 quid might not seem much to some, but money is tight for many

Was looking forward to Tuesday nights game, lets hope they get a cover in the future!

It's not that long ago the pitch was dug up and a new one put in. Sadly the harsh winters of the last couple of years have had a bad effect on the park. We have a good relationship with the Warriors and it benefits both parties so I'm all for it continuing but we need to invest in a cover to try to give some further protection to the pitch.

Prices are too high but I sadly don't see that changing. The club need as much revenue as possible and I doubt they can afford to drop prices. I would like to see, and have suggested this to the club, one or two "themed days" a season. For that day, drop admission prices to a fiver. These could take the form of a day dedicated to a former player/manager. Already been told there was going to be a Bobby Law day , though unsure if that is now happening.

We need to see an increase in the attendances at Firhill, money is tight for so many people just now and there are probably a number of reasons why fans stay away. We need to try and get some of them back and back soon. There is clearly a lot of work to be done.

The problem with dropping the price, which is something we all agree with in theory (the product isn't worth £17), is thatif you drop the price to say £12.50, you'll need to see a 30% or so increase in attendances just to make the same money. Our average attendance this season is 2,088, would we see that increase to 2,700 with a drop in prices? I'm not so sure. There is only one way to find out though, and I support the idea of occasional themed days with reduced gate prices.

I would also like to see this done once, as I have posted in other thread on the topic. I accept that it is a major risk, and that plenty of people will take the piss, but why not as a one-off?

With regards to the pitch, there is a recent thread where the possibility of artificial turf was discussed, and it seems many of us would like to see us switch, should it be allowed in the SPL.

Welcome to the forum mate :thumbsup2:

£17 is an absolute rip off for 1st Division football but unfortunetely dropping the price will make virtually no difference.

Last night in theory I had 3 spare tickets for the game I couldn't give away, 3 of my mates with season tickets were not going (one works away from Glasgow through the week and decided to stay overnight instead of coming back for the game, the other has a disseration due in a few weeks and the other simply couldn't be bothered). I have a fair few other mates who go regularly but don't have season tickets because of various other commitments, shift work, kids, money, etc. None of them were interested in going to the game for free.

I'd say a tenner is a fair price for the overall product of a 1st division game.

But put simply if you halved the curent price you wouldn't double the attendance therefore clubs won't be dropping the prices.

PS - Crowds and atmosphere will be dire from now until the end of the season but don't be put off and make sure you come back in August when the sun is shining, the crowds are bigger, there will be an air of optimism and fans will get right behind the team.

Welcome aboard, redhulk 44 :thumbsup2: .

As to ticket prices being too high, you'll not find anyone on here disagreeing. In fairness our prices are about average. I think only Dundee and Morton buck the trend. Dundee are £19 and altho' Morton are cheaper than us, on a like for like basis they too are taking the piss.

The other thing to point out is our £17 in some way subsidises the kids for free initiative. So in practice a parent taking an under 16 in will still cost a total of £17 and obviously if he/she's taking more kids to the game the value for money aspect increases. In those instances we offer far better value than other clubs.

Sorry if that sounds like an endorsement for charging £17 entry but worth mentioning if you're comparing us with other Div 1 clubs.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I reckon I'd make more games if tickets were more affordable, but as it is I have to pick and choose. If tickets were say 12 quid, the club might get $24 out of me over two home game, but as it just now they'll get $17 as $34 is just too much of an outlay for us. I imagine the status quo will remain until a tipping point is reached and the prices rise to a point where more and more people become financially excluded from making every home game. Of course, once you lose people occasionally, they start to find other things to do and before you know it they really aren't that bothered about missing games. All clubs are hemorrhaging supporters, there's no value for money in the game anymore when there is plenty else out there to tempt your wallet. The game needs a massive and radical overhaul but we're not likely to see it until the big clubs start to fall.

Personally I'd love to see a reduced ticket price but as others say, the gamble is perhaps too much for the club to take. I do question though whether the wealthy directors really understand the hit in the wallet the ordinary punter takes from a trip to Firhill. However, I also have to pay tribute to the Kids For Free scheme which makes a massive difference for us - without that I really couldn't justify bringing my wee guy, but since he gets in for nothing the club benefits from extra food and merch money.

Like I say, there's a balance to all this, but if the prices are to rise much more in this climate I think it will just prove too much for some people - the average family is a grand worse off this year, and eventually that's going to affect the turnstiles. If things continue to get worse for folk then at some point in the future the club are going to have to face the prospect that they'll have to freeze gate prices against inflation which will see the cashflow get worse, and then nobody wins...

Welcome to the forum. Just don't discuss politics with either Woodstock or Jaggybunnet :thumbsup2:

I reckon I'd make more games if tickets were more affordable, but as it is I have to pick and choose

My decision to go to less games this season was brought about by financial circumstance too, for the last 10 years my attendance has been fairly regular, home and away, about 80% , even had a couple 100% seasons. Sometime in october last year I got ready for the game, had no fuel in the car so stuck a tenner in, got to Firhill and paid 17 , had 2 pies and a bovril which took me to £32.50, pies aside, and even taking into account not all of the tenner fuel was used getting there and back, I just can't justify 30ish quid per game, 120 quid a month is almost the same as my car payment, and i'm trying to move house which will double my mortgage payment.

Football just doesn't make financial sense to me at the moment. But to be fair, although lower gate price would see me attend more it wouldn't change the situation much for me as it's more my own finances that are tight.

My decision to go to less games this season was brought about by financial circumstance too, for the last 10 years my attendance has been fairly regular, home and away, about 80% , even had a couple 100% seasons. Sometime in october last year I got ready for the game, had no fuel in the car so stuck a tenner in, got to Firhill and paid 17 , had 2 pies and a bovril which took me to £32.50, pies aside, and even taking into account not all of the tenner fuel was used getting there and back, I just can't justify 30ish quid per game, 120 quid a month is almost the same as my car payment, and i'm trying to move house which will double my mortgage payment.

Football just doesn't make financial sense to me at the moment. But to be fair, although lower gate price would see me attend more it wouldn't change the situation much for me as it's more my own finances that are tight.

Finances are the main reason I haven't got to a game since October. I go with my wife and usually my two kids. By time we got to ground, paid for two tickets, spent couple quid on 50/50, bought a progamme, got us all some food (sometimes go to bar either before or after match) we've spent £70 to £80 quid). Like many others no doubt, I spend about £200 to £250 a month on fuel for the car. Having the family takes up a lot of time and money. I only saw my eldest daughter every saturday and after the stirling events, she didn't want to go to football for a while. As she far more important than any football match, it contributed to us not attending. She then moved to Liverpool in February with her mum, so I had to save up so I could go visit her and thus not be able to afford to go to games. Like so many others my own finances are very tight and so I've just not had the money to get a long to anywhere near the number of games I would have liked.

My daughter is up for easter hols so the plan is that we will all go to the Ross County game a week on Saturday. I've spoken to her about it and she is keen to go. I've missed not being at so many games this season.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, is there not an arguement that money is a lame excuse for not going and that if you really wanted to go you could.

I doubt anyone saying they can't afford the £17 would find themselves in abject poverty or suffering from malnutrition if they cut back on other 'luxuries'.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, is there not an arguement that money is a lame excuse for not going and that if you really wanted to go you could.

I doubt anyone saying they can't afford the £17 would find themselves in abject poverty or suffering from malnutrition if they cut back on other 'luxuries'.

Maybe it's just the simple fact that football isn't actually that important.

I don't think guys like lennyt - who obviously really want to go and go when they can but can't manage that often because of finances - are the problem. Our problem - and other clubs' problem too is that there are lot's lots :blush: of guys who can afford to go but just can't be bothered.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Doesn't cost me £17.00 Uberteeb. Doubt very much it costs many if indeed any fans £17.00 to go to Firhill. Ok, to put it another way, I choose not to go alone and not to just buy my ticket. When I go, I want to go with my family and I want to sample the entire match day experience. That means, programme, 50/50, food for the family. In games to come I want to meet up with friends I've gained on here for a drink before and or after the game. I also want the kids to enjoy the day as much as they can as I want them to become Partick Thistle fans.

That doesn't cost £17.00.

Of course there were other factors. We don't need to debate them, done that plenty at the time. Given , as i stated, I only saw my daughter on saturday's she was put off going to games.

But there have been plenty of Saturday's since that day, I've really wanted to go to the match. Finances have dictated that I couldn't.

Kinda along the line I take. I buy a season ticket but effectively it's the same thing. If the Club were to reduce gate prices from say £17 to £12 (approx 30%) yer man in the S & G isn't going to knock 80p off a pint and the pies aren't going to be 50p cheaper. Bus/subway/train fares are still going to be the same and likewise you won't see a 40p reduction in petrol exclusively for Jags fans.

Thus an afternoon out that costs you around £40 becomes £35. If you can't afford £40 you as likely as not can't afford £35 either.

Maybe it's just the simple fact that football isn't actually that important.

I don't think guys like lennyt - who obviously really want to go and go when they can but can't manage that often because of finances - are the problem. Our problem - and other clubs' problem too is that there are lot's lots :blush: of guys who can afford to go but just can't be bothered.

I agree with this. Nobody is saying they have any less money in their pay, we all just decide how we spend it. Reducing the ticket price probably wouldn't make much difference. Even if it was £10 to get in, LennyThistle would still be shelling out £63 to £73 per game, and Hot Shot would still be looking to move house and double his mortgage. Many of the reasons people have given on here have nothing to do with Thistle, it's just that they are deciding to spend/save more of their money to do other things.