Bus Fares

Chicofan

Finished nighshift on saturday morning and I get dropped off about a mile away from my house, i see the bus coming and decide to jump on to save my weary legs the extra walk.

The bus driver asks where I am going and I advise just round the corner..he says £1.80!!! i asked him if he is kidding on...he wasn't...apparently there are only 2 fares on buses now..if you are going 5 stops or less it is 90p any more than 5 then it is £1.80!!

This is fckn insane..it costs £1.80 to travel a mile and the same amount 5 miles into town from my area!!

Safe to say i walked home!!

I know someone who lives near Garscadden station. Apparently bus fares are more expensive than the train. Bus more expensive than than the train? Has the world gone mad????

PS: Scotrail are a fairly well organised bunch. I had a meeting in Edinburgh this morning and the train was goosed, so they chucked as off at Queen St. Disaster? No! They said everyone go to the front of the platform and then they said that the new train won't stop till Haymarket. The result was that I only five minutes late. Excellent work Scotrail. Credit where credit is due.

• Members

The rot set in when they introduced 'Freddie Fast Fare' buses in the '70s. :thumbdown:

Reminds me of the time when the local, none too clever, ned/thief jumped onto one of the newly converted OMO buses and told the driver to "hand over all the cash or else". The driver told him to help himself and pointed at the newly installed cashbox. The would be thief took one puzzled look, turned and got off the bus, no doubt puzzling over his next get rich quick scheme.

Last time I was in Glasgow I also noticed several extra bus stops, a possible means of increasing all fares?

I got the 44 from Jordanhill back to the west end, after the bus had just dropped someone off at the rock, I figured the next logical stop would be the one opposite tinderbox. No, they had a stop 100m down the road and I had already pressed the button and got up, causing the driver to break sharply, so I got off a little early and walked. There was another stop a further 100m down the road at the top of Dowanhill Primary, which I don't remember being there either. So that's three stops taking you from the rock to Byres Road, so it would be £1.80 to go from say Clarence Drive to Byres Road, absolutely mental!

Last time I was in Glasgow I also noticed several extra bus stops, a possible means of increasing all fares?

I got the 44 from Jordanhill back to the west end, after the bus had just dropped someone off at the rock, I figured the next logical stop would be the one opposite tinderbox. No, they had a stop 100m down the road and I had already pressed the button and got up, causing the driver to break sharply, so I got off a little early and walked. There was another stop a further 100m down the road at the top of Dowanhill Primary, which I don't remember being there either. So that's three stops taking you from the rock to Byres Road, so it would be £1.80 to go from say Clarence Drive to Byres Road, absolutely mental!

Twinny, these stops have been there for at least forty years. I lived in Highburgh Road for ages. I've often wondered why there were so many though.

Twinny, these stops have been there for at least forty years. I lived in Highburgh Road for ages. I've often wondered why there were so many though.

Is it possibly to do with the old days when there were more services running down the street so there were buses assigned to specific stops?

I remember Broomhill Cross was served by the 6, 10, 16, 35 and 44 at one point now its just the 16 and 44(s)

I wonder what the cost is to remove a bus stop from service? I know its about 250k to remove a station

I wonder what the cost is to remove a bus stop from service? I know its about 250k to remove a station

Waaay back in time when I worked in the loco sheds at Parkhesd I had to walk up to Carntyne Station. This was when the electric trains were being introduced. They were updating the station and knocking down the old buildings. While this was happening a squad of painters turned up and started painting the buildings as they were being demolished because it was time for their spruce up. :shok::wall:

Waaay back in time when I worked in the loco sheds at Parkhesd I had to walk up to Carntyne Station. This was when the electric trains were being introduced. They were updating the station and knocking down the old buildings. While this was happening a squad of painters turned up and started painting the buildings as they were being demolished because it was time for their spruce up. :shok::wall:

That sounds like the railway to a T

To be fair stations are quite a bit bigger.... :rolleyes:

Forgot to add that includes the closure of the line, removal of station from the maps etc, not just flattening the station, i know in england theres a station that has been 'shut' for years, and its cheaper to remove trains and replace it with a rail replacement service