Conrad On The Way Back

Lindau

I'd like that but wonder whether that would mean no deal for Robbo. With McGeough away we've no obvious right back cover for Paton 'cept for Willie K.

Maybe McNamara sees Campbell as competent enough to cover there if necessary too? If he deems Kinniburgh and Campbell as sufficient cover for right back then it means any remaining budget could be spent elsewhere.

I suppose if McNamara has no intention of playing McCall's 3-5-2 system he might not need as many defenders either.

There was another article in the Evening Times and Jackie said he had spoken to both Robertson and Hodge. Hodge he believed had other offers and it would come down to finance. In the interview Jackie did with jagscast before he got the job he said he did not want players to think that they were just a right back or just a central midfielder he wanted them to be footballers and I think that is why Campbell played a couple of different positions last season and he looked okay at right back but I think a lot will depend on when Paton will be available for selection. If he is ready for the first league game then that lessens the need for another right back but if he wil miss several games then a more natural right back might be required even on loan.

There was another article in the Evening Times and Jackie said he had spoken to both Robertson and Hodge. Hodge he believed had other offers and it would come down to finance. In the interview Jackie did with jagscast before he got the job he said he did not want players to think that they were just a right back or just a central midfielder he wanted them to be footballers and I think that is why Campbell played a couple of different positions last season and he looked okay at right back but I think a lot will depend on when Paton will be available for selection. If he is ready for the first league game then that lessens the need for another right back but if he wil miss several games then a more natural right back might be required even on loan.

I'm pretty confident that Campbell will be ready to feature a lot more next season.

What happened to McGeough? I thought there was lots of future value in that "Ross McGeough, Ross McGeough" song/dance that developed on the terracing at the Stirling cup game, I was gutting myself when that was going on especially with him warming up about 20 feet away.

Would rather have two defenders and a striker than add to the midfield.

Agreed. If Doolan gets injured, we could struggle to score like we did in the first half of 2010. We should not forget that Paddy Boyle contributed a few vital goals last season.

Would rather have two defenders and a striker than add to the midfield.

There's sense in that because the young guys who play in midfield have progressed more I think than the youngsters who play as forwards. Bannigan and Campbell can be seen already as genuine first team pool players rather than fringe youngsters and Macbeth is not far behind.

The youngsters who can play in defence are even further behind the forwards. I do get the feeling though from what's being said that what we've got up front is what we'll go with.

Maybe we'll be looking to get more goals from midfield - Erskine and Cairney (if he gets his old form back) could provide that. And also, maybe he'll bring in guys who can play more than one position - maybe a midfield/forward kind of guy. And if we only bring in a couple of defenders then they'll have to be able to play more than one position.