Football Religion Advertising

redhulk44

The point im trying to make is and i wish you would listen and stop talking about the New Testament, what has religion got to do with sport, nothing it is completely separate, think of other sports apart from football,.... Golf, boxing, judo, wrestling, karate, gymnastics, rugby, swimming, Athletics, the Olympic games, now next year sportsmen and women will take part in this great event, all these sports have nothing to do with Religion, look at sport in Scotland its really bad compared to other countries, there are hardly any sports centres for young kids to try any sports, no coaching, just watch the so called Sports programmes on STV or BBC Scotland, its all about football, SPL Rangers and Celtic, no mention of other sports, i wish we would follow the USA when it comes to sport, learn kids that sport is fun and healthy, now look at our kids in Scotland no wonder they all hang about the streets, drink take drugs, fight, etc

because the culture in Glasgow is all about drinking, they grow up listening and watching their parents, so why condemn me because i speak out against what i think is wrong, religion and bigotry should have nothing to do with football/sport, sport is fun, i don't want to hear about the Pope, King Billy, IRA, UDA, the Queen, its just old hat, its boring.

Sorry, but you brought it up in your original post...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are easily amused my friend but im sorry to disapoint you, i never get angry.

oh Killing spree, you have a sick imagination!

As Mr T would say about you, I pity the fool!

I think its blatantly obvious you ARE angry as two other people have also pointed out the obvious. Everything about you implies anger like youre avatar. Calm down.

He's not that bright either :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's not that bright either, ha, ha, ha.

You know there is one thing that i have to admire about Celtic fans they all stick together and don't slag each other off, are all Jags fans so friendly to each other?

Its easy to slag someone over the internet, but i bet you would not face me and call me thick, would you?

I think its blatantly obvious you ARE angry as two other people have also pointed out the obvious. Everything about you implies anger like youre avatar. Calm down.

My avatar is Red Hulk from the Marvel comics, i am a comic artist, it makes sense to show the Red Hulk do you want me to have a avatar of Bugs Bunny? doh!

My avatar is Red Hulk from the Marvel comics, i am a comic artist, it makes sense to show the Red Hulk do you want me to have a avatar of Bugs Bunny? doh!

Oh if you look at the Avatar you will see a pic of the Red Hulk, colours red and a yellow flame, colours of PTFC, if i were a Celtic supporter it would be the Green Hulk, now you know.

You know there is one thing that i have to admire about Celtic fans they all stick together and don't slag each other off, are all Jags fans so friendly to each other?

Its easy to slag someone over the internet, but i bet you would not face me and call me thick, would you?

Do Celtic fans also massively over react and jump down each other's throats because they failed to understand the conversation?

I don't think anyone actually disagrees with the jist of what you're saying, but you also have to allow for people to discuss what you actually said. Nobody here is advocating the stuff you're accusing folk of, and some of it was quite offensive. You even called me a student at one point. You just need to take a wee chillax and read what people are saying.

Edited by B.C.G. JAG

Do Celtic fans also massively over react and jump down each other's throats because they failed to understand the conversation?

I don't think anyone actually disagrees with the jist of what you're saying, but you also have to allow for people to discuss what you actually said. Nobody here is advocating the stuff you're accusing folk of, and some of it was quite offensive. You even called me a student at one point. You just need to take a wee chillax and read what people are saying.

To be fair though, I felt there was no need to question RH's faith. The thread was started to discuss the advertising of football club's by religion and/or vice-versa, not to discuss the philosophical side of faith. At no point did he impose his views on you, so why the need to force your views on him or belittle his faith?

To be fair though, I felt there was no need to question RH's faith. The thread was started to discuss the advertising of football club's by religion and/or vice-versa, not to discuss the philosophical side of faith. At no point did he impose his views on you, so why the need to force your views on him or belittle his faith?

Was I belittling it?

To be honest, I don't really believe that opinions of faith deserve any more respect than opinions which aren't faith based - less if I'm honest, but that wasn't my point. My point was that he was stating that he considered 16th Century Politics to be old fashioned but somehow couldn't apply the same rationale to the much older New Testament. I'm aware that 'the faith' itself will transcend beyond historical interpretations and it is simply the interpretation rather than the faith itself which is considered by believers to be old fashioned. In that respect, count me guilty of a bit of goading. However, RH did bring up his faith, I didn't. And when someone brings up faith then it's fair game to challenge their beliefs in the same way that I would challenge someone's political convictions.

Did I deserve that tirade of abuse? Probably, but not for the reasons the OP thinks...

In case you hadn't noticed this is a Thistle forum so what are you beating on about?

And yes I would say what I think to your face, are you going to challenge me to a public fight or something?

The only thing comic about you is the fact you started a thread and completely lost yourself and the plot along the way.

Guilty as charged. But then again, how unusual is it to see someone of faith jump to wild conclusions which they stick to well ...religiously, and get very aggressive with everyone about it? Just saying...

Martin Luther King, Ghandhi, John Lennon, JFK, Malcolm X, Jesus Christ.

In case you hadn't noticed this is a Thistle forum so what are you beating on about?

And yes I would say what I think to your face, are you going to challenge me to a public fight or something?

The only thing comic about you is the fact you started a thread and completely lost yourself and the plot along the way.

Why show so much hatred towards me when i have done you no wrong? you don't even know me, when i asked would you face me, i meant would you really face me , why do you think i want to challenge you to to a fight, are you really so insecure, can't you face someone without having to resort to violence?

My post was about religion in sport, for some reason you have went overboard and i have become your enemy why?

Why are some members so hostile towards me? im only saying what i feel is important, I care!

Martin Luther King, Ghandhi, John Lennon, JFK, Malcolm X, Jesus Christ.

6 individuals and even then I'd dispute some of their credentials for brotherly love -

Malcolm X is famed for the expression 'By any means necessary', which has gone on to become the slogan to justify violence against repression.

JFK ordered the (arguably immoral) Bay Of Pigs invasion of Cuba - but the Bible is chock full of tribal violence like this, often ordered directly by God.

Jesus Christ: “Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.” Even if the sword is just a metaphor, enough people throughout history have waged war on the back of religion, the Church included.

And all are guilty of jumping to wild conclusions in terms of religious faith. Faith without proof is really just jumping to conclusions. Organised Religion is just a lot of people agreeing to all jump to the same conclusion, but the numbers involved don't make that conclusion any less wild than the delusions of one madman.

Better just to accept that people are human with all the foibles and frailties that brings, rather than hold them up as Saints. That my friend, is perhaps why we are all Thistle fans - As long as I see the team busting a gut, I can live with us losing. But in answer to the your original point, yes it's pretty disgusting that Celtic advertise in a Church rag, but they are both businesses with bills to pay and are both looking to the same market for the money.

The way I read the OP was it was criticising Celtic for living up to the stereotype of advertising theirselves in a catholic magazine when they openly deny any sectarian leanings. If I got that right then it seems the OP was having a go at them for being hypocrits. I don't think he meant any more than that but thats just how I read it.

Hello Norman, There is always a few bad apples!

Be careful not to assume that the members of this forum are representative of Partick Thistle supporters.

They are more representative of people who go on internet football forums.

People will post things that they wouldn't dare say to your face, partly because there's no threat of physical retaliation, partly because it's an ideal opportunity for mischief-making, but mostly because it's easy to forget you're dealing with other human beings whose opinions, though contrary to your own, are equally valid.

Grow a thick skin and enjoy the ride. :thumbsup2:

Was I belittling it?

To be honest, I don't really believe that opinions of faith deserve any more respect than opinions which aren't faith based - less if I'm honest, but that wasn't my point. My point was that he was stating that he considered 16th Century Politics to be old fashioned but somehow couldn't apply the same rationale to the much older New Testament. I'm aware that 'the faith' itself will transcend beyond historical interpretations and it is simply the interpretation rather than the faith itself which is considered by believers to be old fashioned. In that respect, count me guilty of a bit of goading. However, RH did bring up his faith, I didn't. And when someone brings up faith then it's fair game to challenge their beliefs in the same way that I would challenge someone's political convictions.

Did I deserve that tirade of abuse? Probably, but not for the reasons the OP thinks...

Hmmm, I read it as belittling, but I always find it difficult when reading to tell what tone someone is using.

For me, I always respect people's faiths (not to say you don't), even if I disagree completely. As a result, it annoys me when people of religious backgrounds try to convince others that their views are the only correct ones, but conversely I am just as annoyed by extremist atheists who jump down the throats of anyone who appears to display their faith in any way. I do think that RH's reaction was a little OTT too but he's new here, he'll learn not to react to posts so anxiously.

Why show so much hatred towards me when i have done you no wrong? you don't even know me, when i asked would you face me, i meant would you really face me , why do you think i want to challenge you to to a fight, are you really so insecure, can't you face someone without having to resort to violence?

My post was about religion in sport, for some reason you have went overboard and i have become your enemy why?

Why are some members so hostile towards me? im only saying what i feel is important, I care!

I completely agreed with your original point, but hey, calm down.

What a pile of sh1te this has become, OP was about C*lt*c playing the historical/stereotypical R.C. card , not a surprise really but still a valid point , then turns into religious/moral/ethical diatribe.

The guy(i assume) goes to church and firhill so what , does he need to defend that ?, have we become so obsessed with being anti the O.F. that anyone with a religious view is fair game ?.Like Some sort of inverted snobbery .

Is it any wonder that we are seen as a band of sanctimonious , self righteious , pedantic ,Glasgow Uni psuedo intellectual west end wallopers?.

What a pile of sh1te this has become, OP was about C*lt*c playing the historical/stereotypical R.C. card , not a surprise really but still a valid point , then turns into religious/moral/ethical diatribe.

The guy(i assume) goes to church and firhill so what , does he need to defend that ?, have we become so obsessed with being anti the O.F. that anyone with a religious view is fair game ?.Like Some sort of inverted snobbery .

Is it any wonder that we are seen as a band of sanctimonious , self righteious , pedantic ,Glasgow Uni psuedo intellectual west end wallopers?.

Imagine - trying to have a conversation on a discussion forum! Outrageous!

... and your point is? :thinking:

I actually agree with you though, it shouldn't matter a f*** what you are, you're welcome at Firhill. Religion shouldn't come into it and if the OF want to pitch to their faith-based markets then leave them to it IMO. As the great man said: “Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand!” I don't even like to think about what makes OF fans tick, it just upsets me and makes me dislike them all the more!

let me start by saying that in fairness, i hardly think i'd want to celebrate my first communion at Ibrox. could you imagine?

i've only skimmed this, so forgive me, but is it really sectarian for a club to advertise in a church magazine? the issue of sectarianism isn't openly professing a faith, but openly condemning (or worse) someone of an other faith. there's a strong market within their fan base that is RC, so they found a way to make some extra money that is actually pretty innocuous (birthdays, communions). cynical - yes. sectarian or hypocritical - no.