Football Religion Advertising

redhulk44

let me start by saying that in fairness, i hardly think i'd want to celebrate my first communion at Ibrox. could you imagine?

i've only skimmed this, so forgive me, but is it really sectarian for a club to advertise in a church magazine? the issue of sectarianism isn't openly professing a faith, but openly condemning (or worse) someone of an other faith. there's a strong market within their fan base that is RC, so they found a way to make some extra money that is actually pretty innocuous (birthdays, communions). cynical - yes. sectarian or hypocritical - no.

By the same token there isn't anything sectarian about Rangers' annual love-in with Linfield; or their "tangerine" away stip; or adding flutes to the club songs played over the loudspeaker at Ibrox. However, the world and his granny knows the reason why they do those things and it is the same reason Celtic advertise in Catholic church magazines: to play on the social and religious prejudices that both clubs have thrived upon for generations in order to make money. Which is all a bit sad really, if you ask me; and I mean sad in both senses of the word.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the same token there isn't anything sectarian about Rangers' annual love-in with Linfield; or their "tangerine" away stip; or adding flutes to the club songs played over the loudspeaker at Ibrox. However, the world and his granny knows the reason why they do those things and it is the same reason Celtic advertise in Catholic church magazines: to play on the social and religious prejudices that both clubs have thrived upon for generations in order to make money. Which is all a bit sad really, if you ask me; and I mean sad in both senses of the word.

Got it in one.

Amen. :thumbsup2:

Agree totally :thumbsup2: