Football Religion Advertising

redhulk44

i am glad im a Partick Thistle supporter, with Thistle its about the team, the football and not Religion.

I am a Catholic, but i prefer the word Christian, there is a lot i like about the Catholic church but there is also a lot i hate. Recently i was at church and when i was leaving at the back of the church they had some religious newspapers for sale, after buying one i was shocked to see a advert in the Catholic newspaper advertising Celtic football park, the advert read, have your kids birthday party, 1st communion, etc at Celtic football park, talk about brain washing kids, i contacted the newspaper and told them how i was angry to see the advert in a religious newspaper, they defended the advert by saying they had every right to advertise the advert.

What really annoys me, not every Catholic or Protestant supports Celtic or Rangers, why did the newspaper not advertise other Scottish football teams?

The church is brain washing kids, oh you are a Catholic you should support Celtic have your birthday party at Parkhead! its sick!

I have never seen a Celtic football programme but would they advertise Catholic Church service times?

Football is a sport and religion has nothing to with football, i cant stand all the Pope, Queen rubbish, its 2011 not the 16th century!

Theres only one team in Glasgow that is miles ahead of the other 2 and i wish people in Glasgow would wake up, Support the JAGS!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am glad im a Partick Thistle supporter, with Thistle its about the team, the football and not Religion.

I am a Catholic, but i prefer the word Christian, there is a lot i like about the Catholic church but there is also a lot i hate. Recently i was at church and when i was leaving at the back of the church they had some religious newspapers for sale, after buying one i was shocked to see a advert in the Catholic newspaper advertising Celtic football park, the advert read, have your kids birthday party, 1st communion, etc at Celtic football park, talk about brain washing kids, i contacted the newspaper and told them how i was angry to see the advert in a religious newspaper, they defended the advert by saying they had every right to advertise the advert.

What really annoys me, not every Catholic or Protestant supports Celtic or Rangers, why did the newspaper not advertise other Scottish football teams?

The church is brain washing kids, oh you are a Catholic you should support Celtic have your birthday party at Parkhead! its sick!

I have never seen a Celtic football programme but would they advertise Catholic Church service times?

Football is a sport and religion has nothing to with football, i cant stand all the Pope, Queen rubbish, its 2011 not the 16th century!

Theres only one team in Glasgow that is miles ahead of the other 2 and i wish people in Glasgow would wake up, Support the JAGS!

You're right, of course, but the simple answer is that Celtic FC will have paid good money for the advert.

Yep, Celtic and Rangers haven't got where they are without exploiting age-old prejudices. For all their (cosmetic) attempts to redefine themselves as 'community' clubs they are still quick to exploit the bigot angle whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Yes it brings in the money for the clubs out of the fans stupidity!

Would you have expected anything else of Celtic? I guess they've been dipping their toes in this market for many years - playing the Catholic and plastic paddy card. Their mates across the city are no better.

The funny thing about religion and the OF is that they share the same god and as the good book said: "Ye cannot serve God and mammon" [Matthew 6:24]. (F*** knows where that one came from folks but not bad, my kids will be impressed and will now try to have me sectioned!)

You really need to take a chill pill. Imagine a business advertising in a newspaper where a lot of their supporters will see it. Whatever next.

You really need to take a chill pill. Imagine a business advertising in a newspaper where a lot of their supporters will see it. Whatever next.

Yes Celtic FC is a Business but tell that to the Doctors and Nurses on a Saturday night when they have to deal injuries due to sectarian violence, Religion should have nothing do do with football.

Its all a lot of crap the majority of the supporters dont even go to Church, Celtic and Rangers they don't give a toss all they care about is making millions out of the Brainless neds.

its 2011 not the 16th century!

Not one to quibble, but the 16th Century is positively modern by comparison to the ideas you otherwise claim to uphold which are older by a margin of 1500 years+, and incredibly, that's just the 'New' Testament at that. Isn't that just a little silly...

Not one to quibble, but the 16th Century is positively modern by comparison to the ideas you otherwise claim to uphold which are older by a margin of 1500 years+, and incredibly, that's just the 'New' Testament at that. Isn't that just a little silly...

Are you a student, what the F**K are you talking about, don't you know anything about 16th century history, Protestant reformation, Catholic counter-reformation and all that crap, if you think the 16th Century is modern compared to my ideas, your talking through your A**E,

Do you really think teams like Rangers and Celtic are so modern?

why don't you go into Bairds Bar and the Louden Tavern Glasgow on a Saturday afternoon and wear your Partick Thistle football shirt and let me know how you get on?

Can you tell me whats wrong with my ideas?

Do you believe in Bigotry, Sectarian Violence, Religious hatred, Abuse, Domestic Violence, Children being brainwashed, Rascism, Terrorism, what planet have you been living on, maybe if you think its all acceptable why don't you move to Northern Ireland, im sure you would fit in there with your Liberal ideas?

Are you a student, what the F**K are you talking about, don't you know anything about 16th century history, Protestant reformation, Catholic counter-reformation and all that crap, if you think the 16th Century is modern compared to my ideas, your talking through your A**E,

Do you really think teams like Rangers and Celtic are so modern?

why don't you go into Bairds Bar and the Louden Tavern Glasgow on a Saturday afternoon and wear your Partick Thistle football shirt and let me know how you get on?

Do you believe in Bigotry, Sectarian Violence, Religious hatred, Abuse, Domestic Violence, Children being brainwashed, Rascism, Terrorism, what planet have you been living on, maybe if you think its all acceptable why don't you move to Northern Ireland, im sure you would fit in there with your Liberal ideas?

Don't make him angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry. :lol:

One rant meets another...

So the answer is no religion. But what do you replace it with; or are you happy to tear down the churches and chapels and two Glasgow football grounds, combine the schools etc and hope it all goes away. A bit of an easy answer a pretty idealistic panacea IMO.

But taking your logic further and to expand your list of 'Crimes Against Humanity', then we could add the following to your rant list by adding: murder; extermination; enslavement; deportation; forced removal / transfer of population (a very Scottish one incidentally!);false imprisonment; severe deprivation of physical liberty; disappearance of persons; or what about as a catch-all - the crime of apartheid as well as other inhumane acts too numerous to list. We could go on all day; but you seriously can't blame the churches and the OF for all of them. Fact is that in this country as adults we can remove our kids from being force fed religion of any kind. The more of us who do this the less the problem becomes. (I think that's a reasonable point badly made! :blush: )

Edited by Meister Jag

He's got angrier and angrier as the thread went on, quite amusing, probably off on a killing spree right now.

You are easily amused my friend but im sorry to disapoint you, i never get angry.

oh Killing spree, you have a sick imagination!

As Mr T would say about you, I pity the fool!

If you read what I had written, you would know that I was referring to The New Testament being considerably older than 16th Century politics, and simply questioning why you thought the ideas of that era a bit old hat but not the much much much older ideas of The New Testament which you say you subscribe to as a Christian. It just seems a little hypocritical to call yourself a Christian and then describe anything else as outdated. Even 16th Century politics, which you could say was relatively modern times by comparison. Sorry you missed my point. Jeezo. I see why you call yourself Hulk. Have you tried Kalms , they might help.

Edited by B.C.G. JAG

If you read what I had written, you would know that I was referring to The New Testament being considerably older than 16th Century politics, and simply questioning why you thought the ideas of that era a bit old hat but not the much much much older ideas of The New Testament which you say you subscribe to as a Christian. It just seems a little hypocritical to call yourself a Christian and then describe anything else as outdated. Even 16th Century politics, which you could say was relatively modern times by comparison. Sorry you missed my point. Jeezo. I see why you call yourself Hulk. Have you tried Kalms , they might help.

The point im trying to make is and i wish you would listen and stop talking about the New Testament, what has religion got to do with sport, nothing it is completely separate, think of other sports apart from football,.... Golf, boxing, judo, wrestling, karate, gymnastics, rugby, swimming, Athletics, the Olympic games, now next year sportsmen and women will take part in this great event, all these sports have nothing to do with Religion, look at sport in Scotland its really bad compared to other countries, there are hardly any sports centres for young kids to try any sports, no coaching, just watch the so called Sports programmes on STV or BBC Scotland, its all about football, SPL Rangers and Celtic, no mention of other sports, i wish we would follow the USA when it comes to sport, learn kids that sport is fun and healthy, now look at our kids in Scotland no wonder they all hang about the streets, drink take drugs, fight, etc

because the culture in Glasgow is all about drinking, they grow up listening and watching their parents, so why condemn me because i speak out against what i think is wrong, religion and bigotry should have nothing to do with football/sport, sport is fun, i don't want to hear about the Pope, King Billy, IRA, UDA, the Queen, its just old hat, its boring.

The point im trying to make is and i wish you would listen and stop talking about the New Testament, what has religion got to do with sport, nothing it is completely separate, think of other sports apart from football,.... Golf, boxing, judo, wrestling, karate, gymnastics, rugby, swimming, Athletics, the Olympic games, now next year sportsmen and women will take part in this great event, all these sports have nothing to do with Religion, look at sport in Scotland its really bad compared to other countries, there are hardly any sports centres for young kids to try any sports, no coaching, just watch the so called Sports programmes on STV or BBC Scotland, its all about football, SPL Rangers and Celtic, no mention of other sports, i wish we would follow the USA when it comes to sport, learn kids that sport is fun and healthy, now look at our kids in Scotland no wonder they all hang about the streets, drink take drugs, fight, etc

because the culture in Glasgow is all about drinking, they grow up listening and watching their parents, so why condemn me because i speak out against what i think is wrong, religion and bigotry should have nothing to do with football/sport, sport is fun, i don't want to hear about the Pope, King Billy, IRA, UDA, the Queen, its just old hat, its boring.

Hate to be really pedantic and rain on your parade here but really have to point out the the original Olympic games (on which the modern ones are based) were a religious festival, held at Olympia (Home of Mount Olympus i.e. Home of the greek gods).

Still don't see hoe Celtic advertising in a publication that could be read by a fair number of their supporters is in anyway causing the worlds problems :unsure: