81 members have voted

1. 1. Do we want friday night games?

• Yes
    • No - Work/Travel
    • No - Just dont like friday Football
    • No - Other
    • Worth a try
    • Who Cares

I don’t get it when some say, well if it’s just for one game that’s okay.

It’s an experiment. If they get decent numbers for one game, that’s it you’ll get more Friday night games.

You are either for it or against it. If you say give it a try for one game you could end up with a lot more.

Me. no no no.

Utter stupidity. I work in Edinburgh and live in Falkirk and cannot get to any evening games. Saturday at 3 is the traditional time for football.

Ditto for me, live in Stirling and by the time I get home from work, no chance of making a Friday night game. :thumbdown:

Will be the end of me buying my two season tickets if it happens. :angry:

If I have to miss even one game, which I've already paid for through this, will be the last straw for me. <_<

I don’t get it when some say, well if it’s just for one game that’s okay.

It’s an experiment. If they get decent numbers for one game, that’s it you’ll get more Friday night games.

You are either for it or against it. If you say give it a try for one game you could end up with a lot more.

Me. no no no.

Take your point and personally it will make little difference whether I attend or not as I've a season ticket. If I was pay at the gate I'd most probably still go along but I'm still against the notion of Friday night football. I wouldn't stay away deliberately as a protest against it but would be annoyed if my grudging attendance was taken as an endorsement of Friday night football.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the turnout is relatively respectable but I'd put that down to a combination of novelty value and tolerance for a one off venture.

Football at our level is crying out for change and a huge majority of fans have come out in favour of larger leagues. I don't recall any swell of opinion re KO times yet the SFL choose to ignore what the fans want and come up instead with this crap.

Playing about with the one fixture that comes closest to a derby match as an experiment is crazy. If the fixture was reversed would more of us go to Cappielow on a Friday night than a Saturday afternoon?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Few good points here but folk seem to be replying as if its going to be a regular occurence.i think its a good idea for a wee change..might get a different crowd..could also see some neutrals in who follow other teams on a Saturday.

This certain date does not suit me due to work but I would definetely be into going on a friday night :thumbsup2:

Edited by Chicofan

From a purely personal point of view I'd probably get to more Friday night games than I do Saturday ones. Also I would be missing the Morton game if it was the Saturday, but will be able to go if it is changed to the Friday. Generally speaking I'd far rather go to Friday night games than Saturday ones, but appreciate I am probably in the minority in this. It all depends on your personal circustances and interests, but for me a Saturday game means I have to choose between that and a day out somewhere (hillwalking or whatever), whereas with Friday games I can do both.

However, in general I appreciate that most people (perhaps particularly those travelling or wanting to take children) find the Saturday game more convenient. I guess the big factor is the issue of notice. If we are to go with Friday games, I think that should have been explicitly stated much earlier so that people could have made an informed choice as to whether or not to buy a season ticket.

Don't follow the logic of saying we should experiment with a team with a smaller away support. If this is a reference to Ross County for example, then I'd imagine we would completely wipe out the away support as they wouldn't be able to get to Firhill in time without taking the Friday afternoon off and being prepared to get home at two in the morning. I'd guess a lot of Morton fans work in Glasgow so could make it easily enough (would save them a further trip back on the Saturday). In any case they could leave Greenock at 6.30pm and be back before 11pm so hardly too onerous for them.

Not sure really. I shall abstain from this vote :wacko:

This.

If they were going to experiment and play about with such fixtures, it should be against a team that traditionally has a small away support at Firhill, so the club could firstly guage if it made a positive or negative impact on the home support (for both season ticket holders and PATG).

Then, and only then (if attendances is found to be healthier), should a game against the likes of Morton be considered for such a kick off day and time.

Personally i'm against Friday night games, what with intergallactic travel as it is, a Friday night would be no more attractive to me than a Tuesday or Wednesday game which is harder to do than a home (or away) game on a Saturday at 3pm.

Crap idea ...so much for bring the kids along. I drive 100 mile round trip to pick up my grandson trying to ensure a future Jags fan. How many parents are going to bring their youngsters on a Friday night and not get home till well after 10 o'clock the days of our support being local is long gone.

Knock off work at 3.30, in Woody for 4, blotto by kick off, pie for dinner, back to pub, kebab, last train home.

I can't see much wrong with that :D

Do you work in local government or public sector? How many fans can knock off at 3.30?

Edited by kni

Don't follow the logic of saying we should experiment with a team with a smaller away support. If this is a reference to Ross County for example, then I'd imagine we would completely wipe out the away support as they wouldn't be able to get to Firhill in time without taking the Friday afternoon off and being prepared to get home at two in the morning. I'd guess a lot of Morton fans work in Glasgow so could make it easily enough (would save them a further trip back on the Saturday). In any case they could leave Greenock at 6.30pm and be back before 11pm so hardly too onerous for them.

If you're referring to my post I was meaning we shouldn't be experimenting with the one fixture that would likely have brought us the largest Saturday gate. I wasn't suggesting games against Ross Co or Queen of the South.

Livingston, Raith or Hamilton would offer less of a risk financially.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

If you're referring to my post I was meaning we shouldn't be experimenting with the one fixture that would likely have brought us the largest Saturday gate. I wasn't suggesting games against Ross Co or Queen of the South.

Livingston, Raith or Hamilton would offer less of a risk financially.

You are right of course.

I just selected Ross County to be difficult :P

• 2 weeks later...

i'm against friday night games. i work all over scotland and the north of england and come friday night i'm too harry wragged to think about going to the football. Plus the 4 muslim boys i go with will stop going altogether because friday is mosque and family day. I think friday night football is a big no no. there will be lots of people in my situation. I think playing on friday night will give every game that wet and blustery feb midweek game feeling and fans will stay away. i don't see many morton fans making the trip through on a friday night. i think it will hit crowds bad. i don't see too many old firm fans coming to our games for something to do. they don't care about us, as do fans of other clubs. Most of them will be out on the ran dan with their mayes on a fri. What would you pic if you were a neutral? a night on the ran dan or jags v morton. i reckon most will pick the ran dan

The reason they have so many midweek games in England is solely to accommodate TV. Down there they get good money for this, which makes up for the large empty spaces you see in the stadiums. Up here, outside a handful of teams we get peanuts, nowhere near enough to make up for the losses made by folk being put off or unable to attend.

Sure occassionally a midweek game can be a success but thats almost always only when its cup tie, and one that attracts interest from the fans either because of a draw against a big team or because you're in a quarter or semi final.

The reason they have so many midweek games in England is solely to accommodate TV. Down there they get good money for this, which makes up for the large empty spaces you see in the stadiums. Up here, outside a handful of teams we get peanuts, nowhere near enough to make up for the losses made by folk being put off or unable to attend.

It's more because the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2 play 46 league fixtures a season.

There is no chance I will make a Friday night game because of other commitments and if Id known in advance of buying 2 season tickets (daughter) that this was on the cards then I would have been pay at the gate this year.

I do like the Morton fixture and have mates that support them and I enjoy the after match banter with them.

Saturday is the tradional football day and should remain so.

What do I do on a Saturday for football if this becomes the norm, go see some other team after supporting the Jags all my life.

This experiment wont solve the issue of dwindling crowds, it will make the matter worse