Any News On The Friendlys This Year Yet?

dougie247

The news is that we have been let down once again

I understand that a good few fans would like a to see us play friendly away fixtures for instance to teams south of the border but I can't see it as being a let down. Most fans don't give a toss about any friendlies home or away.

Just on a personal level I'll go to most friendlies if they're in reasonable driving/train distance and I'm not on holiday but I've only a certain amount of dosh I can spend on following the Jags. I hate on principle the idea of giving the likes of Dundee & Morton my cash but even if it's like drawing my back teeth I'll cough up as the matches are at least meaningful. That can't be said for a none too cheap trip to Hartlepool, Rochdale or the likes.

Given the cut backs on and off the pitch the Club have and are making I would seriously question the costing of friendlies. I'd be concerned if that wasn't trimmed to to the bare bones.

It's a pity that the fans who can afford to go to relatively expensive friendly fixtures are denied but imo it's just a sign of the times and can't see it as been let down.

I understand that a good few fans would like a to see us play friendly away fixtures for instance to teams south of the border but I can't see it as being a let down. Most fans don't give a toss about any friendlies home or away.

Did you attend the friendlies in Lancaster and Blyth?

The fans don't give a toss about games against Clyde and bloody Dumbarton. The same can't be said for trips across the border.

Did you attend the friendlies in Lancaster and Blyth?

The fans don't give a toss about games against Clyde and bloody Dumbarton. The same can't be said for trips across the border.

No I was abroad on both occasions.

I did say most fans and I mean any friendly.

Even though both Lancaster & Blyth were relatively recent our cost cutting has been severe since then. Besides the Blyth game was only affordable/justifiable as the team were returning from Warwick(?)I'd find it very strange if the Club could justify the additional costs of taking a friendly outside of the Central Belt. In that way I can't see it as a let down.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

No I was abroad on both occasions.

I did say most fans and I mean any friendly.

Even though both Lancaster & Blyth were relatively recent our cost cutting has been severe since then. Besides the Blyth game was only affordable/justifiable as the team were returning from Warwick(?)I'd find it very strange if the Club could justify the additional costs of taking a friendly outside of the Central Belt. In that way I can't see it as a let down.

I understand your point, but presumably if we play a friendly down south then all the club would be required to do would be to stump up the cash for a coach. Now, you've pointed to severe cost cutting, which would appear to prevent this from happening. However, the club had signed up to the two-day Annan tournament. Surely that would have required the cost of a coach plus overnight accomodation?

I can live with the club not organising a trip down south, but they could try and be a wee bit mor imaginative when it comes to selecting an opposition.

For the fans a train journey to the North of England is only going to be a few quid more than most of the places we travel to in Scotland.

For the team the bus journey to the North of England surely wouldn't cost much more than a bus trip to St Andrews to play Queens Park.

I don't think money can be used as an excuse really.

I understand your point, but presumably if we play a friendly down south then all the club would be required to do would be to stump up the cash for a coach. Now, you've pointed to severe cost cutting, which would appear to prevent this from happening. However, the club had signed up to the two-day Annan tournament. Surely that would have required the cost of a coach plus overnight accomodation?

I can live with the club not organising a trip down south, but they could try and be a wee bit mor imaginative when it comes to selecting an opposition.

For the fans a train journey to the North of England is only going to be a few quid more than most of the places we travel to in Scotland.

For the team the bus journey to the North of England surely wouldn't cost much more than a bus trip to St Andrews to play Queens Park.

I don't think money can be used as an excuse really.

You both make good points. Don't want to put words in your mouths but I doubt you or anyone for that matter would be too concerned about the quality of friendlies (opposition & venues) if the season ahead was not promising to be tedium to the extreme. I've read very few posts if any of folk looking forward to away trips (twice over at that)to at least 6 of the 9 Div 1 clubs. So I can see your point about what's on offer or rather what's not on offer friendly wise.

That said in the back of my mind I heard something about last season's game at Forfar in the stupid Challenge Cup. Evidently we lost money even tho' we'd have a share of the gate money. I think the cost of a game in the North of England will be considerably more than a visit locally. I'm assuming it's not just the hire of a team bus but other costs as well. I stand to be corrected but till then I feel that we shouldn't slag the Club off over this given the cutbacks they've been making.

You both make good points. Don't want to put words in your mouths but I doubt you or anyone for that matter would be too concerned about the quality of friendlies (opposition & venues) if the season ahead was not promising to be tedium to the extreme. I've read very few posts if any of folk looking forward to away trips (twice over at that)to at least 6 of the 9 Div 1 clubs. So I can see your point about what's on offer or rather what's not on offer friendly wise.

That said in the back of my mind I heard something about last season's game at Forfar in the stupid Challenge Cup. Evidently we lost money even tho' we'd have a share of the gate money. I think the cost of a game in the North of England will be considerably more than a visit locally. I'm assuming it's not just the hire of a team bus but other costs as well. I stand to be corrected but till then I feel that we shouldn't slag the Club off over this given the cutbacks they've been making.

I understand, and pretty much agree with the points you make there, however, it still rips my knitting that we seem to be cost-cutting to the exclusion of virtually everything so soon after Prop-feckin-co.

Harrumph!

As a matter of interest how many fans did we take to Lancaster? how much did we add to their revenue at the gate and the bar?

I suspect Lancaster would have been prepared to subsidise some or all of our teams expenses in return?

If so where does cost cutting come into it?