Lichtenstein V Scotland

Col

24 members have voted

1. 1. What will the result be for Scotland tonight?

• Win
    • Lose
    • Draw

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

one up front, positive no

One up front is negative? Spain play with just one striker, winning the world cup with a 4-2-3-1. On Friday night they only had Torres up front. I think that Germany played a 4-2-3-1 formation too in the last world cup and they were the most attacking team there. You could argue that Naismith played in a support strikers role, but as it was labelled a 4-5-1 it must be negative and defensive.

Obviously you either didn't watch the match or can't interpret the play in front of you. One striker, but Naismith might as well have been an additional striker, with Morrison and Bannan playing in attacking midfield and Hutton always on the overlap. Ok Bannann was crap, but the tactics were never negative last night.

The 4-6-0 isn't a negative formation either, as shown in the last season Cristiano Ronaldo spent at Man Utd - Levein just didn't realise his players didn't have the ability to make this work, and he HAS learned from this and said as much in the media. But you have your own opinions and refuse to actually interpret what is going on in front of you.

It is true though, the correct tactics in a few games could have allowed us to easily reach the play-offs, however every manager makes mistakes, particularly when they've only had 15 games including friendlies (of which he has won 8). He has already won more and drew more matches than Smith did who had 16 games in charge, yet Smith was a fantastic manager for us.

I don't think Levein should go, for the simple reason that I cannot think of any available manager who'd do a much better job.

This.

JB, who would you rather have that is likely to take the job ahead of Levein. If you say Souness you need a head transplant. Who have the other recent candidates been, Mark Mcghee? Do you want Craig Brown back?

One up front is negative? Spain play with just one striker, winning the world cup with a 4-2-3-1. On Friday night they only had Torres up front. I think that Germany played a 4-2-3-1 formation too in the last world cup and they were the most attacking team there. You could argue that Naismith played in a support strikers role, but as it was labelled a 4-5-1 it must be negative and defensive.

Obviously you either didn't watch the match or can't interpret the play in front of you. One striker, but Naismith might as well have been an additional striker, with Morrison and Bannan playing in attacking midfield and Hutton always on the overlap. Ok Bannann was crap, but the tactics were never negative last night.

The 4-6-0 isn't a negative formation either, as shown in the last season Cristiano Ronaldo spent at Man Utd - Levein just didn't realise his players didn't have the ability to make this work, and he HAS learned from this and said as much in the media. But you have your own opinions and refuse to actually interpret what is going on in front of you.

It is true though, the correct tactics in a few games could have allowed us to easily reach the play-offs, however every manager makes mistakes, particularly when they've only had 15 games including friendlies (of which he has won 8). He has already won more and drew more matches than Smith did who had 16 games in charge, yet Smith was a fantastic manager for us.

difference is they have class players who on the whole would walk into most teams unlike scotland where they would struggle to get on the bench

Edited by jaggybunnet

Biggest problem is Craig Levein manages Scotland for the benefit of Craig Levein and not the country.

I see McCail Smith is an injury doubt. Lets see if he gets someone in like Ross McCormack who is scoring goals for fun or plays Goodwille up front on his own against the best team in the world...

As for last night's game, it it wasn't for McGregor having a decent game for a change, we could have been embarassed.

Youve just totally answered your negativity with that statement. :lol:

so because we are shit thats ok ??

still doesn't get rid of the fact that we are shit with a shit manager and a SFA/SpL/SFL who are bloody useless

also doesn't meant i wont be shouting for the team when they play i just think we could and should do better with what we have

Edited by jaggybunnet

still doesn't get rid of the fact that we are shit with a shit manager and a SFA/SpL/SFL who are bloody useless

also doesn't meant i wont be shouting for the team when they play i just think we could and should do better with what we have

Unless you can state what you would change you're just trolling. Repeatedly pointing out we're shite, or that we're negative without any hint at how you might fix this. At least GrantB is making suggestions as to what he would change.

Unless you can state what you would change you're just trolling. Repeatedly pointing out we're shite, or that we're negative without any hint at how you might fix this. At least GrantB is making suggestions as to what he would change.

i have, the biggest being a change in scottish football.

playing players who are doing well for there clubs and not just because they play for a big club or what people perceive to be a big club (Rangers celtic). meeting with players such as fletcher to sort out the problems and if need be swallowing there pride and (on both sides) talking,

the managers i have named above,

as for the negativity, have you watched scotland at all :blink: they are dire to watch

i have, the biggest being a change in scottish football.

playing players who are doing well for there clubs and not just because they play for a big club or what people perceive to be a big club (Rangers celtic). meeting with players such as fletcher to sort out the problems and if need be swallowing there pride and (on both sides) talking,

the managers i have named above,

as for the negativity, have you watched scotland at all :blink: they are dire to watch

Sorry, I missed the post about managers.

As for the "picking Rangers and Celtic players", there were two Rangers players in the starting line up (McGregor and Naismith) and one Celtic player who came off the bench (Forrest) and two Rangers players who warmed the bench (Whittaker and Wallace). I'd hardly say that's favouritism as McGregor is the best fit player in his position and Naismith seems to be loved by everyone and scoring a lot for Rangers just now. Forrest isn't having a bad season either, though I do agree that McCormack should be involved. He hasn't ever reproduced that form for Scotland (only has seven caps mind you) and Forrest is five years younger. Personally I would have McCormack in there with Stephen Fletcher for fixtures like that one...

I don't think that last nights tactics and player selection can be criticised as heavily as it has by some, we've had far far worse performances and three points were never in doubt. Suggesting last nights tactics were negative because we only had one striker is laughable.

Sorry, I missed the post about managers.

As for the "picking Rangers and Celtic players", there were two Rangers players in the starting line up (McGregor and Naismith) and one Celtic player who came off the bench (Forrest) and two Rangers players who warmed the bench (Whittaker and Wallace). I'd hardly say that's favouritism as McGregor is the best fit player in his position and Naismith seems to be loved by everyone and scoring a lot for Rangers just now. Forrest isn't having a bad season either, though I do agree that McCormack should be involved. He hasn't ever reproduced that form for Scotland (only has seven caps mind you) and Forrest is five years younger. Personally I would have McCormack in there with Stephen Fletcher for fixtures like that one...

I don't think that last nights tactics and player selection can be criticised as heavily as it has by some, we've had far far worse performances and three points were never in doubt. Suggesting last nights tactics were negative because we only had one striker is laughable.

I dont think that the team was that bad leaving aside the glaring ommisions in the squad. I still cringe a bit seeing Bardsley playing left back as he is so obviously right footed.

We have some right good players, it just seems to be our luck that when we get decent players, the manager is utter crap. If we fail to qualify, the blame will 100% rest with Levein.

We have some right good players, it just seems to be our luck that when we get decent players, the manager is utter crap. If we fail to qualify, the blame will 100% rest with Levein.

I'm certainly no fan of Levein, but I wouldn't go that far. With Spain in the group the play-offs were the only aim we ever had, and then it depends on the draw. I do feel we should have finished 2nd (I'm assuming that we won't), and three one-goal wins is not a great return given the poor opposition.

Unlike some on here I happen to think Levein is doing a good job with what he has at his disposal. It`s obvious he has his own ideas on how he likes his team formations and he`s sticking to that. He`s learning on the job and if (as looks likely) we come up short this time then surely we can look forward to the World Cup campaign with some confidence because the one thing that is obvious to most is that the team IS improving.

As for saying playing with nominally one up front is defensive and using it as a stick to beat him with then sorry, that`s just stupid. That`s now the standard formation for most successful teams as it allows huge flexibility within the team.

I'm certainly no fan of Levein, but I wouldn't go that far. With Spain in the group the play-offs were the only aim we ever had, and then it depends on the draw. I do feel we should have finished 2nd (I'm assuming that we won't), and three one-goal wins is not a great return given the poor opposition.

To clarify, I should have said qualify for the playoffs. :thumbsup2:

Unlike some on here I happen to think Levein is doing a good job with what he has at his disposal. It`s obvious he has his own ideas on how he likes his team formations and he`s sticking to that. He`s learning on the job and if (as looks likely) we come up short this time then surely we can look forward to the World Cup campaign with some confidence because the one thing that is obvious to most is that the team IS improving.

As for saying playing with nominally one up front is defensive and using it as a stick to beat him with then sorry, that`s just stupid. That`s now the standard formation for most successful teams as it allows huge flexibility within the team.

I can't believe anyone thinks this buffoon is doing a good job. He's the Dick Campbell of international football. Absolutely awful to watch and hiding behind shallow excuses when results go against him.

He's not learning on the job, he's using the job to do whatever his ego likes hence the frankly bizzare team formations (Prague) and refusal to admit that he made a mistake.

I can't believe anyone thinks this buffoon is doing a good job. He's the Dick Campbell of international football. Absolutely awful to watch and hiding behind shallow excuses when results go against him.

He's not learning on the job, he's using the job to do whatever his ego likes hence the frankly bizzare team formations (Prague) and refusal to admit that he made a mistake.

Grant, perhaps the guy feels too insecure to admit his errors and is simply on the defensive. There's undoubtedly in my mind reservations about Levein as an international manager but some of the criticism verges on character assassination.

Besides I can't off the top of my head come up with a replacement. Sure I can think of managers who would perhaps do a better job but very few of them would be interested in the position. Someone (maybe more) mentioned Strachan and/or Davies. Just my opinion but the former doesn't appear as the sort that would have the mental stamina to last in the job and the latter comes across as confrontational, which is about the last trait we need.

Anyway and far more to the point regardless of who is in charge off the pitch no Scotland team is ever going to succeed or even reach moderate success without leaders on the park.

• Members

I would have gone for Strachan in the past, but following the mess he left Middlesbourgh in, I'd have grave doubts over his ability in the Scotland job. And I think Lib sums up Billy Davies perfectly as well. I thought Leveine was the right man at the time plus the vast majority of the players seem to like him and the way the team spirit is being built. Definitely a bit of the Marmite about him though! :)

Sorry mate but I think you`re becoming a bit irrational where Levein is concerned. It`s understandable to have some misgivings about the man, his selections and tactics but what you`re posting goes way beyond anything that could be deemed reasonable.

To me his team on Saturday was the strongest available to him and his tactics were effective. Even you would admit that the result was of greater importance than the style of play.

You`re just wrong in saying that he`s not learning on the job as the team IS improving and the constant grasping of the team selection in Prague is getting more than a little tireseome. The team and manager have moved on since then. I honestly don`t see what importance his refusal to admit mistakes makes to anything, what does it achieve?

Don`t know what the guy`s done to you buy your`re reaction to his appointment is way way over the top.

When has he got his formation wrong outside of Prague? We play a 4-2-3-1 normally, sometimes changing to a more standard 4-5-1 with attacking wingers. Levein did admit he made a mistake after Prague.