Jh Stand

Chicofan

Not sure if this has been discussed before however I certainly can't remember but

What is the history behind people wanting to sing being stuck up at the back of the city end of the JH.

Has it always been this way?

Through the years I have sat in various parts of the JH some with a season ticket some not.

Surely a better atmosphere would be created if all the singers were to go to the side of the JH closest to the away fans?

I remember at the h*ns replay being right up at this end and the atmosphere was brilliant.

Is there other issue's afoot here like more policing/stewarding required etc.

I have been sitting or standing up the back of the City End for around 4/5 years now and i reckon it would be much better at the opposite end.

Thoughts?

Not sure if this has been discussed before

It's been discussed before. Costs (police back in the ground, more stewards etc.) are too prohibitive. Although, I would imagine, there would be nothing to stop anyone migrating to the other end. Having said that I don't know where the kids zone starts and ends.

My recollection is that this was simply chosen as a spot where people who wanted to sing could congregate together. It was an intiative on the back of comments about the atmosphere in general, and more specifically on comments that many people in the stand didn't join in. With so many having season tickets, it meant that the more willing singers were dispersed around the stand.

The choice of area was driven largely by finding a spot which was light or empty of season ticket holders. I'm sure the police wouldn't have wanted fans at the other end although I struggle to see what the problem actually is - after all, it's not as if it's like the old days where you could get to all parts of the ground without running across the park.

If we're being policed more lightly now, it might be possible to move without issue from tha source. Having said that, like you I'm not certain the precise area of the kids' zone.

I remember the city end being the "unofficial" singing section as early as about 1999. Guys like Charlie Kirkwood and his mates used to be the ones that started a lot of the songs back then.

However, when the North Stand was built, at the start of season 02/03 in the SPL, it was suggested that we move en masse to that end of the ground so that we were beside the away fans. This lasted for the whole of that first season in the SPL as far as I can remember.

However, for me it was just never the same at the north end, the atmosphere of the back to back promotion campaigns was never really matched. So a few of us moved back to the city end but a lot of people stayed at the north end.

Then the police box was built and pretty much all the singers moved back to the city end.

In my opinion the atmosphere is probably as good as it's going to get at the city end and I wouldn't be in favour of moving beside the away fans.

Edited by ian_mac

Not sure if this has been discussed before however I certainly can't remember but

What is the history behind people wanting to sing being stuck up at the back of the city end of the JH.

Has it always been this way?

Through the years I have sat in various parts of the JH some with a season ticket some not.

Surely a better atmosphere would be created if all the singers were to go to the side of the JH closest to the away fans?

I remember at the h*ns replay being right up at this end and the atmosphere was brilliant.

Is there other issue's afoot here like more policing/stewarding required etc.

I have been sitting or standing up the back of the City End for around 4/5 years now and i reckon it would be much better at the opposite end.

Thoughts?

Back in the good old days The Shed (the real one) was where the singing took place, around the halfway line. A return to that part of the ground might be best, and would allow the singing to travel a bit better through the stand, thus allowing more people to join in if they wish. The atmosphere against Morton was pretty good tho, aint heard the JHS as loud since the replay against Rangers a few seasons ago.

I definitely think having the away and home supports closer to each other would generate a better atmosphere in the whole stadium, there was a definite good feeling around Firhill which I have not sensed in a long time...but it was missing some good singing.

Maybe I will just have to go back up the back :P

It's been discussed before. Costs (police back in the ground, more stewards etc.) are too prohibitive. Although, I would imagine, there would be nothing to stop anyone migrating to the other end. Having said that I don't know where the kids zone starts and ends.

The family section starts at the directors area and runs to the end of the stand, nearest the away fans. Some of the young uns were taunting the Falkirk supporters last Saturday with some choice lyrics, which made me laugh. Appreciate, those at the City end won't hear them, but a good few of the kids generate a good atmosphere in the family area. There are a good few very passionate about the Jags.

Don't think the last section nearest the away end is for kids, although there are some down the front. Plenty of room there. I usually go there for the first half to see our goals then move nearer the half-way line for the second half.

Don't think the last section nearest the away end is for kids, although there are some down the front. Plenty of room there. I usually go there for the first half to see our goals then move nearer the half-way line for the second half.

Just a thought, Jagfox, but if the end nearest the away fans was not part of the family section, would the Shed boys not have occupied it long before now?

I'm certain the last two turn styles in the JH are for the U16's and thus they can use that end of the stand. Of course there are times when the very far end is given to away support (prob Ross County next week)when there is a very small away support at the ground and we don't open the away stand.

Just a thought, Jagfox, but if the end nearest the away fans was not part of the family section, would the Shed boys not have occupied it long before now?

I'm certain the last two turn styles in the JH are for the U16's and thus they can use that end of the stand. Of course there are times when the very far end is given to away support (prob Ross County next week)when there is a very small away support at the ground and we don't open the away stand.

They're all open now I think Lenny. I'll need to disguise myself as a neutral to get in my usual seat. I think the shedboys and most fans don't go up that end as it is seen as the away end of the ground. Usually plenty of room B)

On the subject of singers, thought the vocal support at Dens yesterday was excellent, especially in view of the rotten second half performance.

See when we are all squeezed in like Saturday, it's easier to feel part of a crowd and to join in. Big empty stands like at Starks Park are useless for creating an atmosphere.