Loans - Shaun Fraser And Keiran Burns

PaleGreySky

I wouldn't necessarily say that. If he required an attitude adjustment and got one as a result of the move then I'd say it's worked fine.

Fair comment. I was meaning from a game time point of view but if it was more of an attitude problem and it's been knocked out of him then hopefully we benefit in the long run.

I've said it before, I don't think Fraser's lifestyle was helping his case. He may not have had much game time at Stenny, but I saw him there and he looks to have shed the beef. Hopefully acted as a reminder that he hasn't made it yet.

He looks in really good shape and seemed really positive about coming back.

stenny have enough forwards and fraser never really got a chance to play ,

better back and prove himself to the manager if hes good enough for the first team .

Does not matter what Stenny think or why he is back early. I hear he is looking a lot lighter and sharp so the loan spell must have done some good.Time will tell

Does not matter what Stenny think or why he is back early. I hear he is looking a lot lighter and sharp so the loan spell must have done some good.Time will tell

So, Shaun/Shaun's mum/Shaun's pal/Shaun's girlfriend (delete as applicable), why did Shaun return early and does he think he'll manage to force himself back into the manager's plans?

it could have worked in an other way for Shaun, seeing how part-timers train and also have to work full time might actually get him thinking, it may change his attitude.

Valid point.

I'm surprised tho' nobody has brought up comments McNamara made a couple of months ago about our senior youths not being the finished article. He was generalising of course but the main gist was that the players we've got that should be ready to step into the first team lack the necessary guile and rely too much on instinct (he definitely used that word). By that he was meaning positioning, running angles etc and other text book stuff left a bit to be desired.

He certainly values the youth policy and the potential of a lot of our youngsters. He believes tho' that they just need more time on the technical side instead of relying on flying by the seats of their pants.

I know that with Shaun there was an additional fitness issue and maybe attitude problem but perhaps some folk are making too much of that. Young Fraser will no doubt have needed the training in positioning and the other things Jackie's looking for and thus his visit to Stenny will not have been in vain. Stenny as we know is packed with experienced pros.

McNamara's remarks about our home produced players can be backed up when you see the likes of young guys like Hutton & O'Donnell who know how to make space for themselves etc, the latter signed along with Lindsay as first team ready.

So when one or two posters on here suggest that McNamara doesn't rate our youths I feel it's more than slightly off the mark.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

So when one or two posters on here suggest that McNamara doesn't rate our youths I feel it's more than slightly off the mark.

Good points, though I wonder to what extent our farmed-out youngsters are going to learn things like running into angles, movements of the ball etc in the up-an-at-em, blood and snotters approach of junior and lower professional players. Or am I out of touch with fitba' at those levels these days? It certainly might toughen our youngsters up, however.

I reckon that we'll see what McNamara thinks of our youngsters over the next few months. If Hutton goes, then surely Bannigan or McBeth needs to brought in, and Fraser or Burns need to get the chance to show what they can do (until Saturday neither of our recognized strikers had scored for TWO MONTHS!). I thought that Campbell was getting better and better towards the end of last season, but he seems to be a forgotten man now.

Good points, though I wonder to what extent our farmed-out youngsters are going to learn things like running into angles, movements of the ball etc in the up-an-at-em, blood and snotters approach of junior and lower professional players. Or am I out of touch with fitba' at those levels these days? It certainly might toughen our youngsters up, however.

I reckon that we'll see what McNamara thinks of our youngsters over the next few months. If Hutton goes, then surely Bannigan or McBeth needs to brought in, and Fraser or Burns need to get the chance to show what they can do (until Saturday neither of our recognized strikers had scored for TWO MONTHS!). I thought that Campbell was getting better and better towards the end of last season, but he seems to be a forgotten man now.

I see it another way. A typical lower division club is likely to have a good few senior pros who have to ensure their runs etc are productive and with reduced pace & stamina they'll rely almost entirely on experience. Bannigan for instance must have learned from Roberts last season. I suppose tailoring the right lower division club for the individual youngster is all important.

Totally guessing that while Burns will be picking up much needed game time he'll be benefiting from the sink or swim situation he'll find himself in at Clydebank. The lad had bulked up a good bit since he made his first team debut for us. Looks tho' that he's lost a good bit of pace, no doubt down to his injury lay off. Maybe that'll return but at least he'll be learning how to battle for the ball in the Juniors.

Burns running and striking looks pretty good from the Clydebank highlights I've watched. That's not that bad a standard, and I'd be keen to give him a chance at some point. I think he's the sort of striker who, if we let him go, would do a Derek Lyle and score against us in the future a few times.

If you had to put your neck out and say 2 of the 5 outfield youngsters who are most likely to make it - from Burns, Fraser, MacBeth, Bannigan, Campbell - who would you go with? My guess would be Bannigan, and then an injury free MacBeth. Hopefully, we've already got our central midfield for 1/2/3 years down the line under contract at the club.

really haven't seen enough from any of our outfield youngsters to convince me they're anything above 2nd-3rd div standard. from the 2 games ive seen of scully in goals, he'll do us a turn. but campbell burns bannigan macbeth etc, don't know if they've got it, need to give them a game.

If it turns out that none of those guys "make it" at our level or higher, then for me at least the question of whether so much investment in youth is profitable in any way arises again.